Dallas City Hall

DFWTexEx

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Not much to see when he does show up. He’s like the generic youth minister of government officials. 

The epitome of an empty suit. I just can't believe how conspicuously absent he's been during this whole pandemic.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Hard to compete with the media whore Clay Jenkins. 

I have no love lost for Clay (who I've personally opposed in litigation that lasted several years) as a private attorney.  However, I really don't have any issues with how he has handled the current crisis.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He loves the sound of his own voice and has acted like a spiteful little bitch with respect to Abbott. I don’t trust JWP’s water boy, believe he exploits the political angle with respect to reopening the county, and is a very poor man’s bumpkin version of Cuomo. He’s an embarrassment and he looks like Frankenstein with facial reconstruction. 

Abbott deserves it because he is the very definition of bitch boy, right up there with Ted Cruz.

And Jenkins' response is science- and prudence-based.  He did something while Trump fingered his butthole and Abbott waited for the dumbshit signal from DC to come on. It didn't become political until Abbott decided to hop on the Trump train.  THAT is political.

Like DDD Dad, I have always been and remain suspicious of Jenkins, but I think his handling of the virus has been about as good as you could want.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 6

Abbott deserves it because he is the very definition of bitch boy, right up there with Ted Cruz.
And Jenkins' response is science- and prudence-based.  He did something while Trump fingered his butthole and Abbott waited for the dumbshit signal from DC to come on. It didn't become political until Abbott decided to hop on the Trump train.  THAT is political.
Like DDD Dad, I have always been and remain suspicious of Jenkins, but I think his handling of the virus has been about as good as you could want.

1000x this. Jenkins has been a steady and prudent hand through this whole thing.
  • Like 3

I don't watch the press conferences and tend to ignore news stories about feuds and bitchiness.  So, I am good with Jenkins' handling of this.  I may not agree with each decision, but the decisions seem thoughtful.

Pretty sure he is not JWPs water boy now.  Price has been pretty vocal opposing the shelter in place orders and helped limit Jenkins' authority.

4 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

I don't watch the press conferences and tend to ignore news stories about feuds and bitchiness.  So, I am good with Jenkins' handling of this.  I may not agree with each decision, but the decisions seem thoughtful.

Pretty sure he is not JWPs water boy now.  Price has been pretty vocal opposing the shelter in place orders and helped limit Jenkins' authority.

Hard to argue with the shelter-in-place and easing of restrictions when we keep setting records for new cases and (sometimes) deaths in Dallas County. But Texas is a big ass state -- what needs to be done in Dallas doesn't necessarily need to be done in Marfa. I get that.

Jenkins is at least doing something, leading and talking to the public and press. I haven't seen Eric Johnson in weeks! I find that extremely odd.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’ll admit, I think Jenkins scored some points with his handling. But I think that’s what his aim has been, and, Abbott has ignored a feud Jenkins seems intent on publicly waging. This politicizes it, needlessly so.

I’m one who was overly concerned about this initially, getting slightly ridiculed by coworkers and friends in late February for cancelling my SB trip and not letting my wife or kids see their grandparents, still. Jenkins embodies this, but it is now time, in my strong estimation, to safely go back to work and eat at restaurants. We must get this economy going now, and not doing so will have disastrous effects.  Unfortunately in today’s politicized landscape that puts me on one of the camp, aligned with Trump, and I fucking hate that. Particularly because I did not feel this way from February 22nd through April 15th  

I don’t think Jenkins merely considers economic activity a nonfactor; I think he has squarely drawn a political line and will do everything he can to resist reopening of businesses in Dallas County.  TLDR; Jenkins has shifted from getting a jump on this, having Dallas County lead the way for the state (we did) to opposing reopen advocates because they’re Republicans. My admiration for his initial handling has therefore shifted to disdain, because I know the exponential, adverse economic ramifications each day we stay closed, and I firmly believe he’s an integral part of creating the political divide. 

Jenkins aim was to do a good job and try and save the hospitals from getting overrun for the sole purpose of... scoring points and looking good?

watching his press confs (much more often at the beginning of this than now) I was impressed.  It was a stark contrast to other leaders bumbling around and not forming a plan.

Anyway, Jim will missed if he does not surface again writing about City Hall.  I miss the Unfair Park blog on the old Observer site, where wileyH would actually post stuff instead of just retweet 100 things per day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I think he has squarely drawn a political line and will do everything he can to resist reopening of businesses in Dallas County.  

I don't see how you can say this with a straight face.  Or maybe its ignorance of the true facts.

The county shelter in place order expires in three days.  He's not trying to extend it.  He extended it to 5/15 on 4/23.  He amended it twice to correspond to Abbott's orders. He isn't warring with Abbott's fairly clear abuse of the Chapter 418 of the government code.  And Abbott isn't basing his position on some clear economic principles, he's taking his marching orders straight from Trump, who always operates from a position of abject ignorance.  

Reasonable minds can disagree on how much reopening is enough or too much, but it isn't the stay at home people that politicized it with "muh rights."

You understand that that Shelly Luther cunt is being used by Abbott and other Trumpists?  She isn't honestly being hurt by the shutdown. She got 18k from the PPP program that I guarantee is more than she's made disobeying the order, and half a million in a politically motivated gofundme.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Anyway, Jim will missed if he does not surface again writing about City Hall.  I miss the Unfair Park blog on the old Observer site, where wileyH would actually post stuff instead of just retweet 100 things per day

All of this.  That Unfair Park blog was classic Dallas.  As was City of Ate.

I grew up knowing damn near nothing of Dallas politics and Unfair Park is honestly how I started learning about alot of the bs I never really thought of when younger. Not nearly as knowledgeable as alot of you guys on here with regards to the politics in this town but I like the way Clay Jenkins handled things and much of my extended family who has never paid attention either agree. I think one thing the shutdown has done was give people more of a chance to see how politics in this city and state work that would have otherwise never thought twice about it. Hopefully voter turnout increases locally after this as well. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't see how you can say this with a straight face.  Or maybe its ignorance of the true facts.

The county shelter in place order expires in three days.  He's not trying to extend it.  He extended it to 5/15 on 4/23.  He amended it twice to correspond to Abbott's orders. He isn't warring with Abbott's fairly clear abuse of the Chapter 418 of the government code.  And Abbott isn't basing his position on some clear economic principles, he's taking his marching orders straight from Trump, who always operates from a position of abject ignorance.  

Reasonable minds can disagree on how much reopening is enough or too much, but it isn't the stay at home people that politicized it with "muh rights."

You understand that that Shelly Luther cunt is being used by Abbott and other Trumpists?  She isn't honestly being hurt by the shutdown. She got 18k from the PPP program that I guarantee is more than she's made disobeying the order, and half a million in a politically motivated gofundme.

I checked myself by googling and the one sort of big public spat between Abbott and Jenkins was over the field hospital that Jenkins had arranged at Dallas Convention Center.  Abbott, apparently on behalf of the feds, asserted that it would be appropriated by the feds and moved elsewhere unless Jenkins asserted a need for it.

A very inconclusive deal, but Jenkins was clearly motivated by attempting to be prepared and all I could figure out was that the feds were trying to yoink it because of their own lack of preparation, like they stole other materials from states.  In that, Abbott appeared clearly to be the agent of the Trump administration.

54 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I haven't seen Eric Johnson in weeks! I find that extremely odd.

You said it yourself he's the ultimate empty suit. He's got nothing of substance to say and I appreciate that self awareness and that he doesn't love to bloviate in front of a camera like Rawlings while deferring leadership of both crises during his tenure to Jenkins and Brown.

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I checked myself by googling and the one sort of big public spat between Abbott and Jenkins was over the field hospital that Jenkins had arranged at Dallas Convention Center.  Abbott, apparently on behalf of the feds, asserted that it would be appropriated by the feds and moved elsewhere unless Jenkins asserted a need for it.

A very inconclusive deal, but Jenkins was clearly motivated by attempting to be prepared and all I could figure out was that the feds were trying to yoink it because of their own lack of preparation, like they stole other materials from states.  In that, Abbott appeared clearly to be the agent of the Trump administration.

i just followed it a little on twitter, so consider the source, but I think that Abbot was the one asserting that Dallas use it or lose it and Clay was saying that Dallas would certainly use it when/if we needed it.  The mayor chimed in with some weird blurb backing up Abbot, but the jist of the whole deal was that it seemed (to me at least) that Abbot's camp was trying to get the story out that Jenkins was flat out refusing the help for some reason (which was obviously not the case).

• Like 1

i just followed it a little on twitter, so consider the source, but I think that Abbot was the one asserting that Dallas use it or lose it and Clay was saying that Dallas would certainly use it when/if we needed it.  The mayor chimed in with some weird blurb backing up Abbot, but the jist of the whole deal was that it seemed (to me at least) that Abbot's camp was trying to get the story out that Jenkins was flat out refusing the help for some reason (which was obviously not the case).

The thing I remember is that it was going to cost Dallas County millions to get it going before we needed it and Jenkins wanted to hold off committing to needing it until we did. Abbott was trying to force his hand.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

The thing I remember is that it was going to cost Dallas County millions to get it going before we needed it and Jenkins wanted to hold off committing to needing it until we did. Abbott was trying to force his hand.

It was a strange thing.  

Kind of a related note, this letter from the AG's office to county judges and mayors of "disobedient" cities. https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/images/admin/2020/Press/Travis County and the City of Austin Letter_05122020.pdf?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=

It makes a bunch of bold legal assertions about the primacy of Abbott's orders, yet just one solitary legal citation, the Laredo plastic bag case, which stands for the primacy of the state legislature over local ordinances, but is utterly silent about the governor.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Clay was also the one who took Zika seriously and made sure Dallas County sprayed, etc.  Remember that?  He's been pretty on the ball as far as public health concerns go.  

Dude was going in and out of the Presby Ebola victim's apartment too. I thought he was bonkers then.

Edited by C-Man

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It was a strange thing.  

Kind of a related note, this letter from the AG's office to county judges and mayors of "disobedient" cities. https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/images/admin/2020/Press/Travis County and the City of Austin Letter_05122020.pdf?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=

It makes a bunch of bold legal assertions about the primacy of Abbott's orders, yet just one solitary legal citation, the Laredo plastic bag case, which stands for the primacy of the state legislature over local ordinances, but is utterly silent about the governor.

Paxton is the perfect example of a petty dictator.  That dude needs to go the way of the dodo, but he'll surely be re-elected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Paxton is the perfect example of a petty dictator.  That dude needs to go the way of the dodo, but he'll surely be re-elected.

That dude probably should be in prison. Fuck his Waco/Baylor ass sideways.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Eric Johnson is more shitty than I could have imagined. We’re a city in crises and he is just one empty platitude after another every 3 weeks when he bothers to show up.

Hopefully he runs for higher office (and loses) or whatever stepping stone he’s using this position for sooner rather than later. 

Because the Mayor is a glorified councilmember, it might be semi-appropriate not to be a full-time gloryguts like some have been recently.

But it is kind of a bully pulpit and seat of leadership and he hasn't been good for much there, through some events that demand it.

Perhaps he realizes the Uncle Tom role the Citizens Council put him in under the guise of not being "divisive" like nasty old Scott, and maybe that's not sitting well with him.  Or maybe he's just a lump.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I wasn’t a Rawlings fan on the day to day decisions and operations but he showed up and represented the city when we needed a leader to have a coherent response. 

Former F500 CEO's are generally pretty good about coherent, cohesive responses and leadership/crisis management though.

Edited by Rougarou

What is it you do around here exactly, Mayor Johnson?

I post pics of my son and I on Instagram...and am working on my resume for something bigger and better bitches. An oh, I’m a well-spoken Yale graduate from West Dallas so that gives me street cred like Russell Wilson.

Black mayor that sits on his hands

black police chief that releases the hounds

extremely disappointing response by Dallas leadership when it could have been a transformational week in the history of our city. We honestly haven’t done shit as a city since covid started. Same old, same old. 

• 2 months later...
Eric Johnson got laughed out of the room by his fellow council members this week and now his only friend is Greg Abbott. What a fucking dump that we elected this bitch ass. 
ABD92706-7AAB-43F6-8053-774D3F2B536F.thumb.jpeg.65fa89364d9576cc3fa27903be428043.jpeg

Abbott finally found someone who is even less effective at getting his legislative priorities adopted. Of course he celebrates Johnson’s entire catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yes, Griggs and Kingston are the epitome of unity. They are not attention whores at all. 

Kingston, maybe.  Griggs is a solid guy with a low tolerance for bullshit.  He would have been a far better Mayor than Johnson.

You seem to have bought into all the Republican talking points at the local level.

Edited by TwiceHorn