Texas Women's Tennis 2020-2021 Let's Go!!!

LTtxfan

Stearns hasn't made it official, but I think she goes pro now. Chavatipon, Rapolu, and Collins will probably all stay. Sun is a 20 year old freshmen so I'm not sure where she stands, but would obviously be a big boost if she stays. The Zamarripa twins join the team next year which will be a solid doubles team, and potentially help in singles. Gonna be a challenge to repeat next year I think, but we'll still be one of the top teams. 

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Huge props to Lulu and Peyton for clutch performances 

And Huge Props to Chavatipon who won in singles and doubles too just like Lulu and Peyton...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Stearns hasn't made it official, but I think she goes pro now. Chavatipon, Rapolu, and Collins will probably all stay. Sun is a 20 year old freshmen so I'm not sure where she stands, but would obviously be a big boost if she stays. The Zamarripa twins join the team next year which will be a solid doubles team, and potentially help in singles. Gonna be a challenge to repeat next year I think, but we'll still be one of the top teams. 

Yeah- I was also shocked to see when Lulu came to Texas. Out of everyone on the roster, she was probably the most suited for the pro circuit. Extremely well known to tennisforum. Junior slam doubles finalist and number 13 Junior ranking. Had considerable pro success- won 2 15K and had multiple semis in the 25k. She also has the option to represent either Switzerland and New Zealand, two countries known to provide generous support to their tennis athletes. (I also my be wrong but someone on tennisforum was saying she's from a well off family)

Joffe either recruited her really hard or she really wanted to have the college experience. I think she'll stays unless she starts winning multiple 25k's over the summer and fall.

Edited by Aleemay

Listening to the press conference after the match. 

1) Stearns definitely sounds like she might be returning. She could be caught up in the excitement though. 

2) It sounds like Joffe was very confident Sun was going to win that point. Seems like he thought that was one of the most likely singles points out of the 6. 

3) The twins coming in next year must be very good. All the players on the current roster seem to know they're legit. 

4) Joffe is an excellent speaker and articulate. I can see why he's a good coach. 

5) Stearns is a character. You don't see FR as confident as her. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Listening to the press conference after the match. 

1) Stearns definitely sounds like she might be returning. She could be caught up in the excitement though. 

2) It sounds like Joffe was very confident Sun was going to win that point. Seems like he thought that was one of the most likely singles points out of the 6. 

3) The twins coming in next year must be very good. All the players on the current roster seem to know they're legit. 

4) Joffe is an excellent speaker and articulate. I can see why he's a good coach. 

5) Stearns is a character. You don't see FR as confident as her. 

One thing I noticed in the presser was that his players all refer to him as Howard. Not Coach Joffe, not Coach Howard, just....Howard. 

I'm sure he insisted that his players call him Howard, and he has his motivational reasons for that, but I just thought it was quirky in a way

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

One thing I noticed in the presser was that his players all refer to him as Howard. Not Coach Joffe, not Coach Howard, just....Howard. 

I'm sure he insisted that his players call him Howard, and he has his motivational reasons for that, but I just thought it was quirky in a way

I wonder how the pro players even the younger ones address their coaches?

I would bet it has something to do with that he is trying to recruit pro caliber players so he has to act more like a pro coach

pretty good year for Texas sports overall it is nice to see a women's team bring a championship home and tennis especially after having a really good coach leave under AD shitterson

Edited by ButtFumble

Collins and Sun wins 0 and 1 against Morra and Daavettila of UNC. Gets All American Honors.

Wear and tear of the past week must be taking its toll. Collins seemed like the only one of the four playing at 100% her level. Sun was walking into her shots and spinning her serve in (I'm guessing full body cramping?). Collins was amazing! 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Aleemay said:

Collins and Sun wins 0 and 1 against Morra and Daavettila of UNC. Gets All American Honors.

Wear and tear of the past week must be taking its toll. Collins seemed like the only one of the four playing at 100% her level. Sun was walking into her shots and spinning her serve in (I'm guessing full body cramping?). Collins was amazing! 

1998! 

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Is US Open wildcard only available to Jones & Scotty??

Yes. Sun is a Switzerland national, so the US Open won't give her a wildcard. Sucks for Kylie, who is an American, and would otherwise be eligible for the wildcard if her partner were American. Racist USTA! (loljk)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yes. Sun is a Switzerland national, so the US Open won't give her a wildcard. Sucks for Kylie, who is an American, and would otherwise be eligible for the wildcard if her partner were American. Racist USTA! (loljk)

That’s a little odd.