2018 MMA discussion

ajax

15 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

That goddamn tribute bullshit after winning a fight drives me up the fucking wall. 

This shit right here. Like, you just ran through me in one round. You don’t need to bow at my fucking feet. I get the respect in martial arts, but Jesus.

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Her name is Rebecca dillashaw, looking her up isn't a terrible idea. You won't be mad 

Man, what are the chances that TJ would find a girl with the same last name and start dating her. That's pretty amazing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Never a fan of a title defense streak ending on a split decision, but that's what happens when it goes to the judges. MM sounded like he was writing off this fight in all the pre-fight buildup and it cost him.

For those that want to review Demetrius Johnson vs Henry Cejudo II

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Demetrious_Johnson_vs_Henry_Cejudo_Full_Fight_UFC_227_Part_2/10236321

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Demetrious_Johnson_vs_Henry_Cejudo_Full_Fight_UFC_227_Part_3/10236322

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Demetrious_Johnson_vs_Henry_Cejudo_Full_Fight_UFC_227_Part_4/10236323

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Demetrious_Johnson_vs_Henry_Cejudo_Full_Fight_UFC_227_Part_5/10236324

Round 1 - 1pt Johnson, significant instant damage to the leg but un-capitalized, near domination by DJ, but end of round comeback by Cejudo

Round 2 - 1pt Cejudo due to an uneventful round where DJ spent a minute being controlled on the ground

Round 3 - Draw; however, two take downs for Cejudo, but a brief reversal and two quick escapes for DJ

Round 4 - 1pt. Cejudo, don't think it's as close as Joe and DC are making it. Fairly even trades, but DJ spent over two minutes being controlled on the ground even though Cejudo has hardly any ground and pound.

Round 5 - Draw, but if I had to score it 1pt. Cejudo, takedown and a couple of late hard strikes

I don't get this most exciting flyweight fight of all-time. I have no frame of reference, but i had trouble paying attention to this one. No significant damage, no significant change of momentum, no drama. DJ's corner never had a sense of jeopardy even though the fight was not working out in their favor.

Cejudo win, maybe a draw if you give one of 2 or 5 to DJ for being the champ, but that would probably be bullshit.

Edited by JohnnyRage

It was exciting because going into the 5th round it was 2-2 based on the eye test.  MM hasn't really ever been put in that position before.  Cejudo had a foot that could have gave out any moment.  And a MM title loss would've literally been unforeseen and unprecedented.

For those reasons, the tension was building and crescendoed into the wanting seconds.

I don't like fights in that weight class and MM fights are almost as boring as most of the women fight....but that one was pretty.  Definitely not even top 5 fight of 2018 but it over-delivered relative to expectation.

18 hours ago, spystud13 said:

That goddamn tribute bullshit after winning a fight drives me up the fucking wall. 

I kind of agree but I totally understand it. There's something about fighting another dude. After it's over you feel an almost overwhelming sense of brotherhood and camaraderie, even after beating the shit out of each other.

This is true of sportive fighting, but probably not true of street fighting.

Edited by ajax
  • Like 1

I kind of agree but I totally understand it. There's something about fighting another dude. After it's over you feel an almost overwhelming sense of brotherhood and camaraderie, even after beating the shit out of each other.

This is true of sportive fighting, but probably not true of street fighting.

I agree.

I fear for Connor, but he’s kind of a douche-nozzle. So fuck him.

On the other hand, that’s a hell of a baller fight to take his first fight back.

The UFC needs to give up on this stupid PPV model with so much pirating. The purses would be larger.

15 hours ago, ajax said:

Is it too early to talk Khabib and Conor? I got Conor but I'll probably flip back and forth. If Khabib does win, it'll be by decision. He can't finish Conor.

TKO.  Refs will step in like they did when Mayweather beat on him.  Khabib will trap his legs, mount, and play him like the bongo