2018 MMA discussion

ajax

The way I see it, Khabib's strengths are multiple angles of takedowns, tying up legs on the ground, great balance via tripod on the ground to pound, and superior endurance. 

Conor's strengths are superior takedown defense, quickness, footwork, precision counterstrike, and a knockout power left hand. 

Khabib's weaknesses so far are he doesn't set up his takedowns, he only finishes his takedowns against the cage, and he is no threat striking on his feet. 

Conor's weaknesses are his grappling and he gasses in later rounds. 

I'm still saying Conor. I think Khabib will struggle for the takedown in rounds 1 and 2. If it goes past 3, Khabib takes him.

When you look at Khabib, it really reminds me of another fighter. Incredible chaining of takedowns, use of the cage for takedowns, dominating groundwork, very resilient, a little stiff in movement, ineffective striking, rudimentary footwork, undefeated, and a ton of hype. 

Ring any bells?

Once that fighter came up against another fighter with good movement and good striking, they got smashed. My use of pronouns should tell you who I'm talking about. It's Ronda.

There are some differences. Khabib was able to adjust late against the Ragin real estate agent and use his seemingly limitless gas tank to throw a flurry of strikes and knees to set up a leg trip. Ronda never adjusted against Holly and kept rushing in face first despite repeatedly getting smashed. Say what you will about Ronda but she's got heart.

Now, I'm not saying that Khabib is Rousey. Its just that I'm seeing predictions and people are making Khabib out to be some mythical beast without looking at matchup. Conor has very intelligent takedown defenses and he gameplans against his opponents very well. 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:23 PM, ajax said:

The way I see it, Khabib's strengths are multiple angles of takedowns, tying up legs on the ground, great balance via tripod on the ground to pound, and superior endurance. 

Conor's strengths are superior takedown defense, quickness, footwork, precision counterstrike, and a knockout power left hand. 

Khabib's weaknesses so far are he doesn't set up his takedowns, he only finishes his takedowns against the cage, and he is no threat striking on his feet. 

Conor's weaknesses are his grappling and he gasses in later rounds. 

I'm still saying Conor. I think Khabib will struggle for the takedown in rounds 1 and 2. If it goes past 3, Khabib takes him.

Khabib is going to win this and rather easily IMO. $$$$

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 2:24 PM, LonghornGoodfella said:

Um.....yeah not a good idea to be a dumbass and stick a power drill in your boxers. Fuck that. Ouch!

hnUWJacA_normal.jpg

Imma be out for a little bit. pic.twitter.com/Lah1c47225

View image on Twitter

I had forgotten about this after heaving about it on the radio. Now I will never be able to forget.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been awful quiet on the McGregor front for this Khabib fight. Hell it's been quiet on the promotion side. You can think of it a couple different ways. Conor is hands down focused on training for this beast, which he should be doing. Or he knows the mind games aren't going to work with Khabib and put the trash talk away.

Either way i find it interesting, especially considering it's only a month away and Uncle Dana is predicting 2 million PPV buys, which i just don't see happening. 

18 hours ago, LonghornGoodfella said:

It's been awful quiet on the McGregor front for this Khabib fight. Hell it's been quiet on the promotion side. You can think of it a couple different ways. Conor is hands down focused on training for this beast, which he should be doing. Or he knows the mind games aren't going to work with Khabib and put the trash talk away.

Either way i find it interesting, especially considering it's only a month away and Uncle Dana is predicting 2 million PPV buys, which i just don't see happening. 

Maybe McGregor has a probation term prohibiting any contact with Khabib that doesn't involve a refereed MMA event.

1 hour ago, VinyVango said:

Maybe McGregor has a probation term prohibiting any contact with Khabib that doesn't involve a refereed MMA event.

There was a protection order from the judge against McGregor on behalf of all the people on the bus. He was not allowed to contact any of them directly through any medium. No idea if that is still in effect, though.

On 9/4/2018 at 2:28 PM, LonghornGoodfella said:

I think it's the 2nd thing. He knows that habib was expecting tons of trash talk, maybe even looking forward to it. Instead, Conor isn't trash talking or promoting this fight. 

Honestly he is also probably pissed that the UFC has been trash ever sense it was bought out by WMA, and they aren't giving him a long-term piece of the pie or a good enough contract.

Either way I got Conor round 2 KO. khaabib wasn't impressive at all with his lay n pray victory against 

This weekend card is going to be a mess, I can't believe it's a PPV. Hopefully Till can get it done, but it will probably end up being another boring fight. The Till/Wonderboy fight looked rigged.

Valencia is going to murder that poor girl. It's like an amateur vs. a pro. It's too bad that Val had to change weight classes because she and Nunes fights kept going to close decisions for Nunes.

Surprised to see so many on Conor here. I saw some recent pics of the two and Conor looks small and frail compared to Khabib.

I went back and watched McGregors win over Alvarez. And while impressive there were at least 2 moments in that fight where Eddie easily got Conor up against the cage. If Khabib does that even once, he’s taking him down easily and putting a beating on him on the ground. Also little Mendes has no problem taking him down. Hell even Nate pushed Conor up against the cage at will. Conor always has the KO possibility in rounds 1 and 2, but to me this is pretty black and white to see. 

Khabib will take a few shots and absorb them and put Conor up against the cage, take him down, and start grounding and pounding his ass. We’re gonna find out how much heart Conor really has and how punishment he can take. I think he quits.