2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So we are in the middle of moving, but I already had a weekend hunting trip planned. I told my wife not to pack up any of the camo. Of course she didn't listen and packed up all except what she thought was the prettiest. So now I'm sitting here in a natural gear shirt with the sleeves cut off...

2016-hot-camouflage-men-underwear-sexy-e

42a5b15cd7e9613f4ec41dbcc4eb536b.jpg
f21a6338f4ebb721dab1c3a788c46ffa.jpg
54b8fdb0ef5147a1c38c23e05a973ed7.jpg
4b4766fc21dfdeef5a0219908fc02412.jpg

They’re starting to chase pretty hard around here. All three of these guys just showed up this week. I’ve got 15-25 doe showing up at the feeder every evening so I figured it was just a matter of time until the antlers followed suit. I’d like to see all three of these guys survive until next year. Gotta go to the farm tonight to start my killing as the wife thinks these are her “pets”

• Hook 'Em 2

I had a good week in Colorado last week. Didn’t get an elk, but had a good time. Had a young bull almost run over us; stopped at about 20’ away as he was running on the trail we were on. We locked eyes and he wheeled around and was gone in less than 2 seconds.

755f011dac6112648e1fab229b55c869.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

42a5b15cd7e9613f4ec41dbcc4eb536b.jpg
f21a6338f4ebb721dab1c3a788c46ffa.jpg
54b8fdb0ef5147a1c38c23e05a973ed7.jpg
4b4766fc21dfdeef5a0219908fc02412.jpg

They’re starting to chase pretty hard around here. All three of these guys just showed up this week. I’ve got 15-25 doe showing up at the feeder every evening so I figured it was just a matter of time until the antlers followed suit. I’d like to see all three of these guys survive until next year. Gotta go to the farm tonight to start my killing as the wife thinks these are her “pets”

Big body on the buck with the broken left beam

15 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Those High Plains deer are a step above. Very easy to spot one. Around Haskell/Woodson/Throckmorton area is about where I’ve noticed they make a distinct change. North and west of that point and there’s some serious low fence monster

That's the problem I have with shooting deer, here, at home. After hunting Throckmorton, Aspermont, Haskell area, it spoiled me. Our deer are so inferior to those monsters.

CHIEF

That's a nice buck, our last lease was on the Coppermine Ranch between Archer City and Holliday. I shot at a 170+ and missed so bad, I knew my scope had gotten knocked around. Sure enough, it wasn't even on the paper at 100 yds. That 307 lb. buck I posted above came from your neck of the woods. You should treat yourself to a burger at T's Food Store for shooting that.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, HollidayHorn said:

That's what I had for lunch to celebrate yesterday. lol. I've never heard of that ranch. Is it off of FM 368 or Highway 25? There's some giants running around the Lake Kickapoo area. 

It's about 4 miles west of Archer City on Hwy 25. I've seen easily a half million sandhills come off of Kickapoo. T's makes a great burger, I put it on the Burger thread in Food & Travel. I love that area and, of course, Murn's.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

22 hours ago, CHIEF said:

It's about 4 miles west of Archer City on Hwy 25. I've seen easily a half million sandhills come off of Kickapoo. T's makes a great burger, I put it on the Burger thread in Food & Travel. I love that area and, of course, Murn's.

CHIEF

Ok. I know where your talking about. The Hawley Ranch is buying up all that land these days, including a big chunk of the Parkey. 

Sucks about your scope. That would have been a real trophy. I missed a big real bad a few weeks ago. I had forgotten that my AR had fallen out of the golf cart and it was shooting 10 inches high. Luckily it only took about 6 shots to get it back in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm gonna do food plots like Both Taco's next year. My 6 acres is the only place you can hunt in my 4700 acre river bend subdivision. There are several big ranches across the river that do not allow hunting as well. My mom's younger brother is a retired Cleburne fire fighter, and has a fellow fire fighter that has 5 acres in the middle of these big ranches. He isn't a hunter, but has pictures of two different bucks that will go over 200 B&C on cameras that watch his garden. Somebody poached a 178 class buck out of here last year, and got caught before he reached the front gate. I worked in Illinois a few years back, they can't have feeders, but plant turnips. After a freeze the deer want the turnips so bad, that they will dig and paw them outta the ground. Apparently the freeze causes the sugar to set and are irresistible to deer.

Sorry, I post so much on this thread, but I am having to live vicariously through all of you other hunters right now. When I was a kid, opening weekend was better than Christmas morning. Still is.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

but I am having to live vicariously through all of you other hunters right now.

Same.  And it’s killing me.  I might be able to sneak home for thanksgiving, but will probably be making up my 10 yr anniversary I missed before I try to sneak to the lease. Group text for the lease has suuuuucked.  

42 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Same.  And it’s killing me.  I might be able to sneak home for thanksgiving, but will probably be making up my 10 yr anniversary I missed before I try to sneak to the lease. Group text for the lease has suuuuucked.  

Funny my 10year is coming up in December. Maybe I can convince my wife to sit in the stand with me to celebrate.  We can bond and get sexy while field dressing a buck. 

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I'm gonna do food plots like Both Taco's next year. My 6 acres is the only place you can hunt in my 4700 acre river bend subdivision. There are several big ranches across the river that do not allow hunting as well. My mom's younger brother is a retired Cleburne fire fighter, and has a fellow fire fighter that has 5 acres in the middle of these big ranches. He isn't a hunter, but has pictures of two different bucks that will go over 200 B&C on cameras that watch his garden. Somebody poached a 178 class buck out of here last year, and got caught before he reached the front gate. I worked in Illinois a few years back, they can't have feeders, but plant turnips. After a freeze the deer want the turnips so bad, that they will dig and paw them outta the ground. Apparently the freeze causes the sugar to set and are irresistible to deer.

Sorry, I post so much on this thread, but I am having to live vicariously through all of you other hunters right now. When I was a kid, opening weekend was better than Christmas morning. Still is.

CHIEF

I hunted in Pike County, IL about 15 years ago and seeing deer walking in a field with a softball sized turnip in their mouth with the greens hanging down tripped me out. That image is one of the most prominent memories that I hold from that hunt.

Almost all of the cash crops had a 30-50 yard wide strip of turnips planted along the outer perimeter circling the entire field.  

21 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Those are some pretty good size bucks to just up and die.

Besides the obvious natural causes, the bigger the buck, the worse the "yips" - my guess is someone took a less than ideal shot, wounded the animal enough that they could run a decent distance before giving out.  The one we found was close the neighbors fence line who also has hunters.  Combined with being found in a small stock tank, as they always go to water when wounded, makes be believe this is what happened.  

Those are some pretty good size bucks to just up and die.

We have had severe problems with poachers in recent years. Dad had to shove a .44mag in a mans face about a decade ago and just last year alone our game warden caught 7 different people poaching on our land. The buck I posted above was not close to any roads, but poachers aren’t usually avid hunters so it’s not outside the realm of possibility it was a shitty shot and this guy ran a good ways before giving it up.

I should clarify. All but one of those instances were people poaching from the county road and not physically on our land. That decoy that you see on Lone Star Law is a legit tool and not something just for tv. We are very fortunate to have a game warden that 1) lives less than two miles away, and 2) likes us and likes to do his job.

44 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I should clarify. All but one of those instances were people poaching from the county road and not physically on our land. That decoy that you see on Lone Star Law is a legit tool and not something just for tv. We are very fortunate to have a game warden that 1) lives less than two miles away, and 2) likes us and likes to do his job.

You would be surprised how good of a shot poachers are. They have little time to work with, so they have to be dead on. I don't know how long your local GW has been doing it, but they usually have some crazy stories, it's worth asking to have them tell you some. 

Old time game warden told us about putting out a decoy, a truck comes by and slows down went down the road and turned around. Said he came by at 35-40 mph (county road) and shot. About 100 yards later they pull over, throw the guns out, and had their hands over their heads when they pulled up to the poachers. He asked them why they stopped, they said because they knew the deer had to be a decoy, and there was no way they could get away. The GW went out to the decoy, and there was a .22 mag bullet entry behind the ear facing the road, it was brand new decoy. The shot was less than 100 yards, but the GW still said it was the best shot he had seen. Of course, that was my question that I asked him. Also told me there is a lot more poaching than anybody realizes.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Bourbon