Bonanza and Gunsmoke

tx 3 putt

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Have you ever heard of a little show called Branded, Dude? All but one man died? There at Bitter Creek? Fucking Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes, Dude.Bulk of the series. Not exactly a lightweight. And yet his son is a fucking dunce.

Branded was great, but I was always more of a Bounty Law guy.

I started watching a lot of gunsmoke two or three years ago. I was never a huge fan of the late in-color years when I saw it as a kid. The early ones are kick ass. The best era was that period where early Festus overlapped with Quint and Chester. At least once or twice they were all in the same episode.

High Chaparal was so underrated and too short-lived. Best characters and best theme song of all TV westerns.  I was glad to be able to start watching it again recently when I was able to dial in the H&I Channel just barely in my range. I had lost it for a good while when one of the local poors channels switched formats.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, mininghorn88 said:

Add in The Rifleman for me onto that list.

Chuck Connors. That's a life well lived. In addition to his acting career, he played in both the NBA (Celtics) and MLB (Dodgers and Cubs, briefly). One of the funniest quips I ever heard was he went from the worst shot in the East (Celtics) to the best shot in the West (Rifleman).

8 hours ago, DougO said:

I started watching a lot of gunsmoke two or three years ago. I was never a huge fan of the late in-color years when I saw it as a kid. The early ones are kick ass. The best era was that period where early Festus overlapped with Quint and Chester. At least once or twice they were all in the same episode.

The old radio series with William Conrad as Matt Dillon was even better. He was a lot meaner than the James Arness version.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

The old radio series with William Conrad as Matt Dillon was even better. He was a lot meaner than the James Arness version.

i watched the first season last fall and Matt's character was much darker and not very friendly.