Powerwashers

Going to buy a powerwasher as gift to my BOL for Xmas. I've only ever had a gas powered one but have been looking around at electric ones (didn't even know those existed until today) since I don't think he's capable of maintaining something with a combustion engine 😔. 

Tl;dr:what are the best electric powerwashers for <$300? How do they compare to gas a powered one?

For your time:

spacer.png

FWIW, I bought a mid-level Karcher almost 15 years ago.  Use it a couple times a year and it has held up great.  I wish it was a little more powerful as the driveway, every few years, does take a long while to complete...but between the myriad attachments and settings...there aren't many jobs it can't do.  It has a lower setting that takes care of buildup on some of my stucco in back.  But the stone up front, all the patios/porches, it does the job well.  It's electric obviously.  I don't use it that frequently, loaned it out a few times.  But I endorse it because it's a good performer and it's lasted a helluva long time...guess you could say that about all my ladies.  

Electric ones work great. I’ve got a ryobi and no problems so far.

FYI: Home Depot uses the cheapest ryobi one ($99) around their stores and out front. They love them, and that’s what sold me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-000-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY141900/205566055

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-300-PSI-1-2-GPM-High-Performance-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY142300/300405751

I’ve had a Toro power washer for years. But, infrequent use really made its motor upkeep a pain.  Winterizing compounded that.

So, I bought a Ryobi 2300 PSI electric power washer last spring.  It did a nice job on my annual deck cleaning, as well as a couple of lesser tasks.  Much lighter and easier to maneuver.

Wish I’d switched from gas powered sooner.

P.S.  Nice bait ... you know the audience. 😎

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Electric ones work great. I’ve got a ryobi and no problems so far.

FYI: Home Depot uses the cheapest ryobi one ($99) around their stores and out front. They love them, and that’s what sold me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-000-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY141900/205566055

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As long as this can powerwash a driveway I'll pick this one up thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-300-PSI-1-2-GPM-High-Performance-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY142300/300405751

I’ve had a Toro power washer for years. But, infrequent use really made its motor upkeep a pain.  Winterizing compounded that.

So, I bought a Ryobi 2300 PSI electric power washer last spring.  It did a nice job on my annual deck cleaning, as well as a couple of lesser tasks.  Much lighter and easier to maneuver.

Wish I’d switched from gas powered sooner.

P.S.  Nice bait ... you know the audience. 😎

Probably get this one for myself.

Depends on what you want to do?  Hell you can clean a driveway with a tooth brush if you want to. I went with a gasoline powered model because I was remodeling a house and wanted to be able to clean the house for paint prep, and clean driveways and garage floors.  I got a Ryobi that was like 3100 psi and 2.3 GPM, similar to this Ryobi 3300 psi/ 2.3 GPM and it kicks ass. DO I use 3100 psi all the time?  Nope, but I use about 2000 PSI with a MUCH larger spray pattern that save me an enormous amount of time.  This is especially handy then trying to spray underneath eaves and things I don't want to hop on a ladder for (or use a longer heavier extension). I also liked the integrated multi- spray pattern nozzle so I did not have to keep up with separate tips

Here is the one thing that I would buy as an accessory, because it makes more a MUCH BETTER finished product when trying to clean decks or other large flat surfaces. Home Depot doesn't carry this model anymore but jsut get something rated for your washer's pressure capacity.  The advantage one decks and driveways is twofold. First you are able to clean much more thoroughly, much more quickly.  Secondly you simply do not get the streaking you get from using a nozzle spray.  I would never do another deck or driveway without one.  Ryobi makes a cheapie low pressure unit for like $20-$30.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Depends on what you want to do?  Hell you can clean a driveway with a tooth brush if you want to. I went with a gasoline powered model because I was remodeling a house and wanted to be able to clean the house for paint prep, and clean driveways and garage floors.  I got a Ryobi that was like 3100 psi and 2.3 GPM, similar to this Ryobi 3300 psi/ 2.3 GPM and it kicks ass. DO I use 3100 psi all the time?  Nope, but I use about 2000 PSI with a MUCH larger spray pattern that save me an enormous amount of time.  This is especially handy then trying to spray underneath eaves and things I don't want to hop on a ladder for (or use a longer heavier extension). I also liked the integrated multi- spray pattern nozzle so I did not have to keep up with separate tips

Here is the one thing that I would buy as an accessory, because it makes more a MUCH BETTER finished product when trying to clean decks or other large flat surfaces. Home Depot doesn't carry this model anymore but jsut get something rated for your washer's pressure capacity.  The advantage one decks and driveways is twofold. First you are able to clean much more thoroughly, much more quickly.  Secondly you simply do not get the streaking you get from using a nozzle spray.  I would never do another deck or driveway without one.  Ryobi makes a cheapie low pressure unit for like $20-$30.

spacer.png

Yeah I'll get this as an attachment:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-12-in-2-300-PSI-Electric-Pressure-Washers-Surface-Cleaner-RY31012/306343083

Trying to find a better built one as there is no way a $20 piece of plastic is going hold up. Why does everything have to a plastic chinese pos? I will pay a premium for quality if you let me.

30 minutes ago, fakebusiness said:

Yeah I'll get this as an attachment:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-12-in-2-300-PSI-Electric-Pressure-Washers-Surface-Cleaner-RY31012/306343083

Trying to find a better built one as there is no way a $20 piece of plastic is going hold up. Why does everything have to a plastic chinese pos? I will pay a premium for quality if you let me.

I have the first one linked and one like this (but I am pretty positive I paid much less for it) - https://www.amazon.com/EDOU-Pressure-Attachment-Extension-Replaceable/dp/B08N11F9H4/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=HWDA2U0KG98P&dchild=1&keywords=power+washer+accessories&qid=1607724070&sprefix=power+was%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNkNXNFFBRE1DMlBRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDA5Mjc0MzJKTk8zSVpaUERKRCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDQxMDgxM1RENDFQV0tCSUc0MiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0Zl9uZXh0JmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

54 minutes ago, horn4life said:

spacer.png

A agree with all this. I have both a electric one and a gas one and I use the gas one much more often, you can clean so much more much faster. 

To get a metal interior you are gonna be in the $60 range.  Again, if you are buying for yourself you will at times want for the additional power/time saving of the larger units.  Only thing I might buy is an extension wand.  As I have a buddy how has been very generous letting us use their house in Port A, and inviting us down over the years.  I told them they have free pressure washing for life.  

The only other suggestion I have is absolutely, fucking positively, without question is to wear shoes.  I fucked up.  I had used the Surface cleaner attachment for a couple hours and took it off, to do some stairs.  I did not realize the tension ring in the middle of the wand had become loose over the day.  I stepped down, the wand tilted at the loose middle and swung towards my toe.. Good study for identifying the layers of dermis!

.393316935_pressurewashedtoe.thumb.JPG.22347f94abf07eedca8bedd9fa4ef193.JPG393316935_pressurewashedtoe.thumb.JPG.22347f94abf07eedca8bedd9fa4ef193.JPG

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/11/2020 at 4:07 PM, horn4life said:

I would never do another deck or driveway without one.  Ryobi makes a cheapie low pressure unit for like $20-$30.

I've got gas and a ryobi electric.  The elec is plenty for smaller jobs.  But this is essential for cleaning driveways/flat surfaces.  I went 15+ years doing without; what a waste of time on my part.

• Hook 'Em 1