Tramadol...ingrown nail?

markstanco

Had a surgery ive been needing on my toe for years. They gave me this, but it doesnt hurt one bit. After some googling, its a controlled sub, which I find odd for a minor surgery like this.

I wont take any, no pain. I find it odd they gave me the scrip for it. I see online that it and alcohol do not mix, but nothing on the bottle says so. Very weird to me.

No question, just talking outloud here.

That’s some strong shit.  When I have pancreatitis (often unfortunately) and they don’t admit me into the hospital because I just need pain/nausea meds, fluids, and time to get over it, Tramadol is what they give me and it basically knocks me out and I sleep for 2 days straight with the recommended dosage.

After I stay in the hospital for a few days on Dilaudid (which basically keeps me asleep for 2 days), they’ll give me Tylenol with Codeine to take home which basically just takes the edge off and helps me get to sleep.

Seems like they thought you were in some serious pain, or just overprescribed because they didn’t want you to come back and complain about pain during COVID/holidays.

^huh? Tramadol is basically as strong as codeine mg for mg. Are you sure you aren't thinking of something else? Tramadol compared to Dilaudid is like comparing light beer to everclear. Dilaudid (or hydromorphone) is 3x stronger than morphine. Tramadol is 1/10th as potent (as morphine).

To OP - I had an ingrown toenail worked on recently. Once the anesthetic wore off it hurt like a motherfucker. Not unbearable with Tylenol/ibuprofen but for the first 24ish hours I was certainly taking as high a dose of NSAIDs as I could. I can completely understand why they would give you a small script for a low-strength opioid like tramadol for it.

It has some minor recreational value, so I guess if you're into that sort of thing then see where it takes you. Might just put you to sleep. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

That’s some strong shit.  When I have pancreatitis (often unfortunately) and they don’t admit me into the hospital because I just need pain/nausea meds, fluids, and time to get over it, Tramadol is what they give me and it basically knocks me out and I sleep for 2 days straight with the recommended dosage.

After I stay in the hospital for a few days on Dilaudid (which basically keeps me asleep for 2 days), they’ll give me Tylenol with Codeine to take home which basically just takes the edge off and helps me get to sleep.

Seems like they thought you were in some serious pain, or just overprescribed because they didn’t want you to come back and complain about pain during COVID/holidays.

Dude you have reoccurring pancreatitis? That sounds like fucking hell. I had a real real bad case of it last year (almost died of it) and it was unbearable. Can’t fathom going through that more than once. 

Thumbs up for Dilaudid. Wish I could get my hands on that sweet vitamin D every now and then for funsies.

Agree with @ztejas on tranquil though, that was come down meds after dilaudid for me.

My wife is a Pharmacist and Tramadol is useful, but to be honest if we go through one or even two pills of controlled substance pain relief its pretty rare.  Ibruprophen and Tylenol (with staggered doses for higher pain levels) has been more than enough for us.  Neither of us like the fogginess of most of the controlled pain meds.  What I wish I had was a script for a muscle relaxer... 

Usually I don't need the pain to go away, just get it down to a non-wincing level.  

Also- how do you guys allow a nail to get so ingrown?  I am doing home surgery pretty damn early in the process.  Of course I played years of soccer and my feet are sort of deformed as I wore my cleats so tight for so many years.  But if you did not deal with toe issues early, you were gonna really have some problems.  I did completely fuck up a couple years back and did not trim my toenails prior to an all day coaching license class. and strapped on my nice tight cleats, thinking I was going to be observing all day, not participating.  By the end of the day I knew I was likely to lose both big toenails.  Came back the next day with new shoes and the director laughed at me.  I said I know, it's crazy to wear new cleats all day, but the half size kept the toenails from coming off immediately.  That was a real pain in the ass to manage.

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I think you may be thinking of Toradol.

It's exceptionally effective for pain associated with the biliary tract.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think you may be thinking of Toradol.

It's exceptionally effective for pain associated with the biliary tract.

Just checked it’s 50 mg Tramadol, take 1-2 every 8 hours.  Shit knocks me out.

5 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Dude you have reoccurring pancreatitis? That sounds like fucking hell. I had a real real bad case of it last year (almost died of it) and it was unbearable. Can’t fathom going through that more than once. 

Thumbs up for Dilaudid. Wish I could get my hands on that sweet vitamin D every now and then for funsies.

Agree with @ztejas on tranquil though, that was come down meds after dilaudid for me.

Yeah I got it my first time after a very active TX/OU weekend then it hit me a few years later and I had to stop drinking, but now I get it randomly (had my 10th episode this year) because I have high triglycerides (best guess) and my previous history.  Gallbladder got removed but now there is basically no advice other than try to be as healthy as possible, avoid fried foods and absolutely no alcohol.  And yes, it fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yeah I got it my first time after a very active TX/OU weekend then it hit me a few years later and I had to stop drinking, but now I get it randomly (had my 10th episode this year) because I have high triglycerides (best guess) and my previous history.  Gallbladder got removed but now there is basically no advice other than try to be as healthy as possible, avoid fried foods and absolutely no alcohol.  And yes, it fucking sucks.

Funny/scary - but when i was in the ER the doctor and nurses must have asked me 100 times how much i drink, what I had that day etc. It was to the point of them accusing me of lying  before they put the two and together that i had a massive gallstone that was literally killing me. 

Ended up being gallstone pancreatitis, so an easy fix and not reoccurring for me, but apparently over indulgence in alcohol is the main contributor to pancreatitis.  Had to go without alcohol, fried food and red meats for 3 months. I was super lean and healthy because of that, and then I fell completely off the wagon with covid happening shortly therafter.  Figured if I'm gonna die of a freaking virus, its going to be while enjoying single malts, french fries and wagyu steaks.   

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Just checked it’s 50 mg Tramadol, take 1-2 every 8 hours.  Shit knocks me out.

Just rechecked and mine are 50mg, but I break them in half. They don't knock me out but the do make my crap concrete so I avoid them if possible.

Edited by RPM
I was wrong

13 hours ago, RPM said:

Just rechecked and mine are 50mg, but I break them in half. They don't knock me out but the do make my crap concrete so I avoid them if possible.

Opioids are famous for constipation.  It's one of the things you really have to watch out post surgery for example.  If you are going to take a lot of pain meds take a stool softener.  Or don't... and get your wife or a very, very, very good friend you trust, and a clean spoon to dig that shit out.  Literally. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, horn4life said:

Opioids are famous for constipation.  It's one of the things you really have to watch out post surgery for example.  If you are going to take a lot of pain meds take a stool softener.  Or don't... and get your wife or a very, very, very good friend you trust, and a clean spoon to dig that shit out.  Literally. 

Yep. Took some opiods after my surgery in March. Nothing would come out. Took a stool softener and everything came out. It took me a couple of days to have my first normal shit, but once that happened, I knew I was recovered.