2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

The Lakers are desperate. If they offer what Woj was hinting at earlier I don't see us turning that down. 

Ingram/Kuzma, a couple first rounders, and eat a contract like Mills. Maybe  Hart or Wagner in the package. 

You get 2 decent to good young players, 2 picks, and get to dump a contract. I don't see the Spurs turning that down if the Lakers offer it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

18 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Those picks are worthless, with Kawhi the Lakers get Lebron and Paul George and asre picking near the end of the draft. Brandon Ingram is the only good young player they have and hes not enough to get Kawhi. Kawhi isn't going anywhere until the trade deadline.

Kuzma is really good. Matter of fact, I'm going to guess that's the hold up with the Spurs and Lakers. That's the player the Spurs want and the player the Lakers don't want to give up. 

I don't know why people are worried about the Lakers. We aren't going to be competing for championships until 2 to 4 years at best. Even with Kawhi we aren't better than the Warriors right now. 

Our timeline shouldn't be focused on the present. It should be focused on 2-4 years down the line. Get young talent and picks. 

Also, in regards to the picks. That's why the Lakers are shopping for a first round pick. They are looking for a good pick to sweeten the deal. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Any rockets fan that seriously thought LeBron was going to take his talents to Galveston were delusional.  But they also think every other team in the league is fighting over a trade for Ryan Anderson.  
That's not what I meant, a super team of LeBron, PG and Kawhi is another giant obstacle in the West for the Rockets to try to squeak by in a 7 game series with GS the overall favorite. It greatly diminishes an already slim chance to get out of the West. LA would also become the premier destination for hop-on ring chasers, and would be a contender for years. Tough for Houston, or any team, to compete with that.

18 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kuzma is really good. Matter of fact, I'm going to guess that's the hold up with the Spurs and Lakers. That's the player the Spurs want and the player the Lakers don't want to give up. 

I don't know why people are worried about the Lakers. We aren't going to be competing for championships until 2 to 4 years at best. Even with Kawhi we aren't better than the Warriors right now. 

Our timeline shouldn't be focused on the present. It should be focused on 2-4 years down the line. Get young talent and picks. 

Also, in regards to the picks. That's why the Lakers are shopping for a first round pick. They are looking for a good pick to sweeten the deal. 

Kuzma is a low ceiling player, hes nothing special

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Those picks are worthless, with Kawhi the Lakers get Lebron and Paul George and asre picking near the end of the draft. Brandon Ingram is the only good young player they have and hes not enough to get Kawhi. Kawhi isn't going anywhere until the trade deadline.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
10 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:
Any rockets fan that seriously thought LeBron was going to take his talents to Galveston were delusional.  But they also think every other team in the league is fighting over a trade for Ryan Anderson.  

That's not what I meant, a super team of LeBron, PG and Kawhi is another giant obstacle in the West for the Rockets to try to squeak by in a 7 game series with GS the overall favorite. It greatly diminishes an already slim chance to get out of the West. LA would also become the premier destination for hop-on ring chasers, and would be a contender for years. Tough for Houston, or any team, to compete with that.

Well that makes sense to!

Future Lakers draft picks are worthless as they’ll most assuredly be in the 25-30 range if they get LeBron and Kawhi and other pieces.

And fuck the Lakers anyway. Rarely building anything of their own, let’s just steal everyone else’s franchise players — Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, Gasol, Howard and now possibly LeBron, George and/or Kawhi.

• Like 3

Something else to keep in mind is that a trade with the Lakers could very well involve a 3rd team. Jones makes a good point about Lonzo. Does Lebron want to play in LA with Lonzo after Lavar ran his mouth? 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18970706/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-issues-warning-lavar-ball-father-ucla-bruins-star-lonzo-ball

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Future Lakers draft picks are worthless as they’ll most assuredly be in the 25-30 range if they get LeBron and Kawhi and other pieces.

And fuck the Lakers anyway. Rarely building anything of their own, let’s just steal everyone else’s franchise players — Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, Gasol, Howard and now possibly LeBron, George and/or Kawhi.

The Lakers can use their assets to get a future draft pick of another team who may not be contenders and have a better opportunity at a lottery pick.  You take the best deal available and if it's the Lakers, so be it.

That written, to me, this morning's updates mean the trade talk has finally hit full intensity.  I'm going to guess that the Celtics, the Sixers, the Clippers, the Lakers and others have stopped the sniffing around phase and are now submitting real trade offers and we're exchanging our desires.  I'd say 90% Kawhi will be traded by Aug 15th.  75% he'll be traded by the end of July.  This is where PATFO needs to earn their money and frankly, their fucking reputation.  We won't get FMV for Kawhi but let's get a real nice package of young players and picks which can catapult us into the post-Kawhi future.  Again, if this is done correctly, we could re-set as soon as next summer and not only have youth (something we haven't had in quite awhile) but talent.  We could sign another max type talent by next year if we're wise in how we build this or we could go out and sign two great starting pieces dependent on how we feel our youngsters are progressing..... Let's get the most assets possible and that means if it's a 3 team trade, 4 team trade, whatever.  Get it done RC.  Earn your reputation, because the players are all on the board and they're engaged now.

a59.gif

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

Prediction:

Ball (perhaps shipped to another team who values  him more than SA)

Kuzma

2 Laker 1’s

An additional, more attractive 1 that LA gets from someone.

I don’t see Philly or Boston really stepping up if KL indicates he’ll bolt next year.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Kobe was dealt for on draft day.

13 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Prediction:

Kuzma

2 Laker 1’s

I don’t see Philly or Boston really stepping up if KL indicates he’ll bolt next year.

I think it's going to take more than just Kuzma in terms of returning players. Gonna have to give the Spurs more value like Ingram or something in return from a 3rd party for Ball. 

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Need the Sixers to get involved to make the Lakers more desperate. 

They are..... Brown and RC are tight.  It'll be a case of seeing if they want to leverage everything for him and if he would consider staying after this year...... which I think he would.  Again, leverage this thing for another week and the Lakers get ultra desperate (although sounds like they are anyway) and see if the Sixers can top it.  I'm going to bet the hold up is they only want to give one of Saric/Fultz.  That ain't gonna get it done, Bret....

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Prediction:

Kuzma

2 Laker 1’s

We won't do it without Ingram..... sorry.

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think it's going to take more than just Kuzma in terms of returning players. Gonna have to give the Spurs more value like Ingram or something in return from a 3rd party for Ball. 

Swap Ingram for Ball, do you do that?  Ball is tougher to value, I think I probably like him more than most.

34 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Again, if this is done correctly, we could re-set as soon as next summer and not only have youth (something we haven't had in quite awhile) but talent.  We could sign another max type talent by next year if we're wise in how we build this or we could go out and sign two great starting pieces dependent on how we feel our youngsters are progressing..... 

Or trade those young players various picks and a expiring pau contract in February for a top tier player. 

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Spurs have no need for Ball. We already have a young PG with shooting issues. 

But Ball absolutely has value. The Lakers could trade him to a 3rd party for whatever player the Spurs want from that team. 

Yep..... Or move him for a pick we want but let the Lakers go through the efforts on that front.  Same with Randle in a S&T.  I've seen more than a few "analysts" write we should take him on...... but we have LMA.  We would need to check with LMA to see how he feels about all of this.  Let him know we have a plan and we'll be playoff contenders next year and have cap space to get another star next summer in a pretty good FA class.  But LMA is a little older so he may not want to wait another year for a real contender..... A lot of pieces on the board.

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

After saying he'd play for nobody other than the Lakers IIRC.

Lotta people feel that way.  Just ask PG and Kawhi.  When you are the crown jewel of the sport in the crown jewel city of the country, well, can you blame them?

27 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

There is no way it would be Ball, Ingram AND Kuzma plus picks.  No chance.

Edited by Sbbruin

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Spurs have no need for Ball. We already have a young PG with shooting issues. 

Im in the minority with liking lonzo.  I think they  do need him.  What other spur player  can pass and create like lonzo.  Lonzo averaged more rebounds than murray, significantly more assists, and comparable points.  But that's in a vacuum, not including the off the court stuff.  

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Lotta people feel that way.  Just ask PG and Kawhi.  When you are the crown jewel of the sport in the crown jewel city of the country, well, can you blame them?

Revisionist history..... He simply didn't want to play for Charlotte because Cowens wasn't big on him.  He also didn't want to play for Jersey because of shit that went down with his Pops.  Kobe actually wanted to be drafted by the Sixers, not the Lakers initially but it wasn't feasible so after West told him he'd be a building block, his group wanted the Lakers.  He also asked twice to be traded away from LA.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Also,  I dont care of Kawhi gets traded to lakers. I might regret that later on if he proves to be 100% healthy, but as of now it would be trading away a broken player.  

Based on the things that have come out in the last few weeks, I think Kawhi was healthy at the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Im in the minority with liking lonzo.  I think they  do need him.  What other spur player  can pass and create like lonzo.  Lonzo averaged more rebounds than murray, significantly more assists, and comparable points.  But that's in a vacuum, not including the off the court stuff.  

The "off the court stuff" is 100% why it will never happen. Pop ain't got time for Lavar Ball.