2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Real question is can he be as good or better than Danny in 3 years???

Offensively, how could he not be? 

Might never become a star, but has potential. Right now we need more guys who at least can get us 12-14 a night. Maybe White becomes one of them. Murray clearly can. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

Still some good prospects on the board.... Musa, who can play, just went.  I'd love it if the Spurs moved up in the 2nd to try and get another young athletic prospect who might be able to break the rotation.... I'd look for BPA but a 3/4 would be ideal or a bouncy 5 who can protect the rim off the bench.

Just now, Llogg said:

If they could get Murray to really commit to playing defense, a lineup of him, Walker, and Leonard gives you infinite switchability and long arms to clog passing lanes.  Sucks that Leonard's going to bail.

Murray was NBA 2nd team all defense.  What do you mean get him to really commit to play defense?  

Another dude who intrigues me is Vanderbilt...... from Kentucky.  Injured for most of college but supposedly has crazy skills.

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Murray was NBA 2nd team all defense.  What do you mean get him to really commit to play defense?  

Another dude who intrigues me is Vanderbilt...... from Kentucky.  Injured for most of college but supposedly has crazy skills.

He's a good defender when he tries, but he takes plays off pretty frequently.

We're OTC..... Some decent guys still on the board including Metu and I think the dude from SMU, but he's a smaller wing too.....

EDIT:  Ha.  Metu it is.  I like him.... he's long and could be a nice rotational big to develop.  

Even if we don't get the best basketball players, we're gonna kill them at Jeopardy.  We got some smart dudes!!!!  Harvard?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

These dudes love him..... well Hastings and Dempsey do.  They see similarities with Capela but better offensively.  Not as big or wide as Capela, narrow hips and shoulders so will need to get a little stronger but really could be the athletic bench, rim protecting big we've needed..... since forever.  With the exception of the one year we had with Dedmon.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Saying all the things he has to......

[/url]  

I like the restraint. We aren’t a championship team — or anything close — without Kawhi. Might as well exhaust all possibilities and not make a hasty deal for pennies on the dollar. We might get a few less pennies on the dollar down the road, but if there’s even a slight chance we change his mind, you gotta take a shot.

At one time, it looked like Duncan was gone too. #soyouresayingtheresachance

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I were basing my evaluation purely off highlight clips, I might take Metu over Bamba. Of course, said highlights clearly weren’t VERSUS Bamba, so there’s that minor detail to consider. Along with the fact I’m not a coach or scout and really am just talking out my butt. 

Seriously, Metu looks like a monster on tape. Might not be against guys his size, but in college he brought the pain. We’ve been in desperate need of someone like that.

If I were basing my evaluation purely off highlight clips, I might take Metu over Bamba. Of course, said highlights clearly weren’t VERSUS Bamba, so there’s that minor detail to consider. Along with the fact I’m not a coach or scout and really am just talking out my butt. 
Seriously, Metu looks like a monster on tape. Might not be against guys his size, but in college he brought the pain. We’ve been in desperate need of someone like that.

Don’t forget Metu is a junior, two whole classes ahead of Bamba.

Bruce Bowen with some truth:

Bruce Bowen, who won three titles with the San Antonio Spurs, took Kawhi Leonard to task for his dealings with the team this year, saying "there's nothing but excuses going on."

Speaking on Sirius XM NBA Radio Thursday night, Bowen said. "First, it was, 'Well I was misdiagnosed.' Look here: You got $18 million this year, and you think that they're trying to rush you? You didn't play for the most part a full season this year. And you're the go-to guy, you're the franchise, and you want to say that they didn't have your best interest at heart? Are you kidding me?"

Leonard played just nine games this season because of a quad injury. News of his his desire for a trade surfaced last week after he told confidants he no longer wanted to play in San Antonio.

Oops. There was more to the Bowen comments that I didn’t copy correctly:

"I think he's getting bad advice," Bowen said. "I think what you're starting to see now is an individual given a certain amount of advice, and it's not the right advice. Here it is: You were protected in San Antonio. You were able to come up during a time where you still could lean on Tim [Duncan] Tony [Parker] and Manu [Ginobili]."

Bowen was a fixture in the starting lineup and on All-Defensive teams as San Antonio won championships in 2003, 2005 and 2007. The former ESPN analyst is now a game analyst on LA Clippers broadcasts.

Bowen said Leonard has not been forthcoming about his issues with the team.

"Not one time has Kawhi come out and said anything to the effect of, 'You know what, hey, I really enjoy being in San Antonio.' Or, 'I can't stand what's going on here in San Antonio,' " Bowen said. "Not one time has he said anything."

Bowen also said he thought Leonard's decision to rehab in New York instead of with the team was a problem.

"As a player, if I'm a leader of a team, my team goes on the road in the playoffs, I'm with my guys," he said. "Because that's what it's all about. It's about camaraderie. It's about fellowship. It's a brotherhood. When that didn't happen, it's all kinds of sirens and alarm signals that says to me, 'Is this person fully vested?' ... I don't want to take on a player who's not willing to support his guys during the course of their time needing him."

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Thursday night that the franchise's desire is to keep disgruntled Leonard in the fold but that the club "will explore all of our options."

Bruce Bowen with some truth:

Bruce Bowen, who won three titles with the San Antonio Spurs, took Kawhi Leonard to task for his dealings with the team this year, saying "there's nothing but excuses going on."

Speaking on Sirius XM NBA Radio Thursday night, Bowen said. "First, it was, 'Well I was misdiagnosed.' Look here: You got $18 million this year, and you think that they're trying to rush you? You didn't play for the most part a full season this year. And you're the go-to guy, you're the franchise, and you want to say that they didn't have your best interest at heart? Are you kidding me?"

Leonard played just nine games this season because of a quad injury. News of his his desire for a trade surfaced last week after he told confidants he no longer wanted to play in San Antonio.

"I think he's getting bad advice," Bowen said. "I think what you're starting to see now is an individual given a certain amount of advice, and it's not the right advice. Here it is: You were protected in San Antonio. You were able to come up during a time where you still could lean on Tim [Duncan] Tony [Parker] and Manu [Ginobili]."

Bowen was a fixture in the starting lineup and on All-Defensive teams as San Antonio won championships in 2003, 2005 and 2007. The former ESPN analyst is now a game analyst on LA Clippers broadcasts.

Bowen said Leonard has not been forthcoming about his issues with the team.

"Not one time has Kawhi come out and said anything to the effect of, 'You know what, hey, I really enjoy being in San Antonio.' Or, 'I can't stand what's going on here in San Antonio,' " Bowen said. "Not one time has he said anything."

Bowen also said he thought Leonard's decision to rehab in New York instead of with the team was a problem.

"As a player, if I'm a leader of a team, my team goes on the road in the playoffs, I'm with my guys," he said. "Because that's what it's all about. It's about camaraderie. It's about fellowship. It's a brotherhood. When that didn't happen, it's all kinds of sirens and alarm signals that says to me, 'Is this person fully vested?' ... I don't want to take on a player who's not willing to support his guys during the course of their time needing him."

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Thursday night that the franchise's desire is to keep disgruntled Leonard in the fold but that the club "will explore all of our options."

Edit to include additional part of story I didn’t snag.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/06/23/lebron-james-free-agent-chris-paul-kawhi-leonard-paul-george/728017002/

When Leonard’s desire to be traded from San Antonio to the Lakers was leaked via several media outlets last week, it was natural to wonder if he would become the star who compels James to come to LA.  But in the days that followed, the Spurs wasted no time in sending this message all around the NBA: The only Western Conference team he might be playing for is theirs.

Fellow West teams have been told, in essence, to get lost – none moreso than the Lakers, according to ESPN. As it stands, the Spurs are determined to either fix the situation or trade Leonard to an Eastern Conference team. For teams other than the Lakers, the threat of losing Leonard in free agency next summer makes the prospect of offering meaningful assets a complicated, calculated risk.

The Cavs have reportedly pursued a deal for Kemba Walker to bolster their pitch to James, but might they be able to swing a deal for Leonard instead? They might have a better shot than anyone in the West, but they’d be hard-pressed to compete with the kind of packages that teams like Boston and Philadelphia could put forth. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Cavs have inquired about Leonard but there is no traction on a possible deal. The Spurs have told teams to put forth offers without any indication of what might come next. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

Not to mention the fact that the Spurs aren’t showing much urgency to make a move just yet.

Coach Gregg Popovich met with Leonard in San Diego on Tuesday in an attempt to mend fences, and longtime general manager R.C. Buford made it clear on Thursday that San Antonio is still trying to make this relationship work.

“We will explore all of our options, but the first one would be to keep Kawhi as part of our group,” Buford told reporters of Leonard, who missed most of the season with a right quadriceps injury and is eligible for a five-year, $219 million extension on July 1.

Who's contract would yall rather dump, Pau or Patty? 

On one hand Pau's salary is ridiculous, but there's  only two seasons left, and I think the last season is partially guaranteed?  Meanwhile Patty's per year salary is semi reasonable but lasts another 3 or 4 seasons.

Pau is showing his age and big men are getting less valuable, however he's the only center on the team and one of two playable big men.  

Meanwhile  there's no guarantee on Tony  coming back, and while promising, the jury is still out on Murray.  So a serviceable  point guard is needed.

Obviously we drafted  a replacement for neither.  Who would  be available in free agency to replace either guy?

I say dump Pau if possible.  He's becoming more and more obsolete, while Patty can occasionally score points. 

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

7 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Who's contract would tall rather dump, Pau or patty? 

On one hand paus salary is ridiculous, but there's  only two seasons left, and I think the last season is partially guaranteed?  Meanwhile pattys is semi reasonable but lasts another 3 or 4 seasons.

Pau is showing his age and big men are getting less valuable, however he's the only center on the team and one of two playable big men.  

Meanwhile  there's no guarantee on Tony  coming back, and while promising the jury is still out on Murray.  So a serviceable  point guard is needed.

Obviously we drafted  a replacement for neither.  Who would  be available in free agency to replace either guy.

I say dump Pau if possible.  He's becoming more and more obsolete, while patty can occasionally score points. 

Patty's.  If we're trading Kawhi, it's easily Patty's.....

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Who's contract would yall rather dump, Pau or Patty? 

On one hand Pau's salary is ridiculous, but there's  only two seasons left, and I think the last season is partially guaranteed?  Meanwhile Patty's per year salary is semi reasonable but lasts another 3 or 4 seasons.

Meanwhile  there's no guarantee on Tony  coming back, and while promising, the jury is still out on Murray.  So a serviceable  point guard is needed.

Obviously we drafted  a replacement for neither.  Who would  be available in free agency to replace either guy?

I say dump Pau if possible.  He's becoming more and more obsolete, while Patty can occasionally score points. 

The ideal answer is, "Both." But that's almost certainly not happening. 

As for replacements, I guess you could argue both Walker and Metu have certain attributes that could help offset those two veterans. But not exactly...and even if they were exact replacements, they're totally raw at this point. So if they're the answer(s), it's some time off. 

26 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

The ideal answer is, "Both." But that's almost certainly not happening. 

As for replacements, I guess you could argue both Walker and Metu have certain attributes that could help offset those two veterans. But not exactly...and even if they were exact replacements, they're totally raw at this point. So if they're the answer(s), it's some time off. 

We're getting some time off whether we like it or not.

5 hours ago, XYZ said:

When the fuck is the announcement that the Spurs and Kawhi agreed to a new contract and that they are also crossing the Ts and dotting the Is on LeBron’s contract?

LOL. At this point best case scenario is picking up a quality starter and promising draft pick from an Eastern Conference team willing to gamble on a rental. That means Celtics, Grizzlies, and 76ers are the most likely options. I don't see the Celtics making a move. They have a team that should be favored to win it all next year if they're healthy. Lakers have the most to offer in terms of assets and incentive to make the trade, but Spurs have made it clear they're not helping LA get better. Bucks could send Bledsoe and a pick, but their 2019 pick will go to the Suns unless it's 4-16, potentially less enticing to San Antonio than what other teams could offer. I'd like to see the 76ers take Kawhi and Green for Redick (on a sign and trade) and the 76ers first round pick coming from the Kings, who should suck again.

28 minutes ago, Llogg said:

LOL. At this point best case scenario is picking up a quality starter and promising draft pick from an Eastern Conference team willing to gamble on a rental. That means Celtics, Grizzlies, and 76ers are the most likely options. I don't see the Celtics making a move. They have a team that should be favored to win it all next year if they're healthy. Lakers have the most to offer in terms of assets and incentive to make the trade, but Spurs have made it clear they're not helping LA get better. Bucks could send Bledsoe and a pick, but their 2019 pick will go to the Suns unless it's 4-16, potentially less enticing to San Antonio than what other teams could offer. I'd like to see the 76ers take Kawhi and Green for Redick (on a sign and trade) and the 76ers first round pick coming from the Kings, who should suck again.

Uhm..... If all the Spurs can get for Kawhi is Redick and a terrible first round pick next year, RC and Pop should be forced to retire the next day...... That's an awful deal.

• Like 2