2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Not really. Asking for a trade privately and living with the consequences--including staying in an awkward situation or the possibility of being traded somewhere undesirable--is perfectly acceptable. 

Leaking it to social media, making it clear you won't play for your current team, threatening surgeries, and giving out the list of teams you would consider re-signing with is different.

Exactly. This is amateur night. His camp couldn't have handled it any more poorly. As far as I know, they still haven't informed the Spurs directly that they want a trade. This is scorched earth. I don't care how "betrayed" they felt by the organization, there is no excuse for this bush league bullshit. The Spurs have been the model organization in professional sports for 20 years, I can't imagine any scenario in which they did anything to be pushed into a corner like this. It's a horrible way to do business and completely unnecessary. 

• Like 3

Every day I check this thread hoping to find a press release in which Kawhi says that he finally woke up from his stupor, fired his dipshit agent and dipshit uncle, and is ready to re-sign with the spurs.

18 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Every day I check this thread hoping to find a press release in which Kawhi says that he finally woke up from his stupor, fired his dipshit agent and dipshit uncle, and is ready to re-sign with the spurs.

I keep thinking all that needs to happen is for pop and kawhi to sit face  to face with no agents, uncles or management.  Pop does his pitch, and if kawhi looKS at pop in the eyes and requests  a trade, then so be it.  He owes pop and the spurs that much.

Rate Kawhi destinations on a Depressing Scale.

f he actually leaves, I want him to suffer. The worst thing would be to watch him win elsewhere.

That's why Boston's the top. He'd go there and probably win championships. Watching that would be heart wrenching. Like losing a girl to a neurosurgeon who coaches little league. I think he's better positioned to win there over the next five years than SA. Spurs are in a weird place right now.

Philly would be next. If that core stays healthy, it's a great group. Adding Kawhi could be a monster move and I could see them surpassing the Warriors, assuming the Philly players reach their potential.

No other realistic team would be better than what he would have in SA. Even teaming with Lebron in LA...I don't know that those two alone would be enough. I just don't know who they would surround themselves with. Of course, maybe it just takes one more like they did in Miami.

Watching Lebron leave Cleveland, as an outsider, was understandable. Cavs never really put anyone great with him, he was wasting talent, etc. Kawhi isn't in a situation like that in SA. Granted, they need some youth, but the organization has proven themselves. Him forcing a trade is like a spouse up and leaving a legitimate good marriage because the other kept hogging the blankets. WTF?

I just can't believe he might actually be gone. I'd love for him to be traded to Sacramento. Flounder there. I just don't to watch him lift a trophy on another team.

44 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I just don't to watch him lift a trophy on another team.

I thought I'd be that bitter about it, but I'm not.  Although I'd love for him to stay, I wish the best for him wherever he ends up.  The spurs will be fine.  I'm convinced that, if necessary, Pop and RC will leverage Kawhi's final year in order to build pieces around LMA.

It looked bleak for Indy last year when PG got traded to OKC but they were able to gain enough pieces to remain competitive.  Hell, they had the same record as OKC.

Here is a trade proposal from SI.  I have no idea if this is a good idea or not because I didn't follow the NBA at all this year so I don't know much about the young players.  I also have no idea if Boston would do this or not.  I do like the idea of the Kings' pick next year as it should be pretty high up in the lottery.

Spurs receive: Kyrie Irving, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris, Aron Baynes, 2019 First Round Pick

Celtics receive: Kawhi Leonard, Derrick White, Pau Gasol

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Here is a trade proposal from SI.  I have no idea if this is a good idea or not because I didn't follow the NBA at all this year so I don't know much about the young players.  I also have no idea if Boston would do this or not.  I do like the idea of the Kings' pick next year as it should be pretty high up in the lottery.

Spurs receive: Kyrie Irving, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris, Aron Baynes, 2019 First Round Pick

If I were the Spurs, I'd do that trade even if Kawhi wanted to stay in San Antonio

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Baynes is a UFA so not sure how that would work, but it's neither here nor there.  That would be a pretty good offer and I wouldn't be upset if we took it.  The major concern are Kyrie's knees so I'd actually want to move on fairly quickly from him and flip him for another younger asset.  But Brown, a first rounder (not Boston's) and whatever you get for Kyrie, who's on an affordable contract would be really nice.  Plus they're taking Gasol's 16 million this year although Patty's deal may be worse L-T.

I'm going to guess that's idle speculation though by SI though.....

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

Absolutely agree on the speculation part.  I doubt they would do it simply because I doubt Kawhi wants to play in Boston.  

I don't know..... Seems like someone would have to ask Uncle Drew because Kawhi does very little thinking on his own. 

Boston would be a great spot for him though.  Great young talent, top 3 coach, wouldn't be expected to shoulder the load by himself, away from the Warriors.   He's probably not getting to LA so why not go be part of the new best team in the East?

Lol at anyone thinking the Spurs will get anything close to an offer like that. Boston could get that deal with Smart instead of Kyrie.

Kawhi has killed any negotiating power the Spurs might possess. At this point they will take what they can get.

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Lol at anyone thinking the Spurs will get anything close to an offer like that. Boston could get that deal with Smart instead of Kyrie.

Kawhi has killed any negotiating power the Spurs might possess. At this point they will take what they can get.

Smart's a RFA.  He can't be traded unless he comes to agreement with the Spurs...... Indy got a pretty decent offer for PG so time will tell..... 

Edited by Patrick Bateman

36 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Smart's a RFA.  He can't be traded unless he comes to agreement with the Spurs...... Indy got a pretty decent offer for PG so time will tell..... 

If I were the Spurs, I would want the closest player for player swap possible... like Kyrie plus a future first rounder. You may not love Kyrie, but he's a borderline star that has a lot of value. The Spurs could always use him to fleece another team in a couple of years.

7 hours ago, Hate said:

I seriously doubt the Celtics would give up that haul. But yeah, the Spurs would be making out like bandits in that deal. They would acquire an elite PG, A young SG/SF with a ton of potential, a 2019 lotto pick and they would unload Gasol's ridiculous contract. It's too good to be true!

Imo and it been rumored in certain places is a lot of this is Lebron and Klutch sports trying to build a narrative along with Uncle Dennis to deliver Kawhi to LA with Lebron.  The problem is timing.  If/when Lebron goes to LA this summer and if the Spurs don’t deliver him to the Lakers this free agency period or to another team then the window is most likely closed for Kawhi to the Lakers.  Lebron will look another direction and isn’t going to wait around for a year for Kawhi to sign as a UFA.... unless he’s going to take the MLE.  I hope the PATFO is smart enough to understand this....

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

Yeah, there is no way we should facilitate that shit. Let the Lakers sign LeBron and PG. If we don't trade Kawhi to them, their dream team probably won't happen. Kawhi's "group" is going to end up fucking him out of a lot of money. 

I’m not one to cut off my nose to spite my face but it’s important to understand the pieces, timing and leverage.  If this threat is true, then let the Lakers deliver an unprecedented package for him, more than the assets they have at their disposal currently.  It’s not patfo’s job to figure out or care how they do it.... if they can’t meet our demands then let Lebrons window expire and allow their threats to detonate.  Once it becomes clear the Lakers are off the board then the board resets with the rest of the players involved.  Lebron will move on to a 3rd star and there will be no money left over for a max UFA next year.

Is there risk in staring down lebron and the Lakers?  Sure, but Lebron doesn’t have the luxury of patience. He needs this deal to go through in a month.... so go make it happen.  Blow us away with a package.  We’ll be around but the clock is ticking.... and it’s their window that’s getting closer to being shut.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Hate said:

One problem with this is finding teams willing to trade for Kawhi if he doesn't want to be there. Because of this, Spurs are behind the 8 ball and will probably have to trade to a team Kawhi wants to play for. Probably the Lakers; if that's where he wants to go and they are willing to meet the Spurs demands.

If there is a team that is willing(that isn't in the west) then the Spurs should really consider it.

Even if Kawhi says he's 100% healthy and pain-free, his latest medical evaluations seem to support it and he says he wants to play for/re-sign with a certain team outside SA, can that team's front office actually take it to the bank? Would they really have faith in this being something more than a single-season rental? We're talking about a guy who, from the public's perspective, was all-in as a Spur for life...until he suddenly and shockingly wasn't. How does another team's owner or GM count on what the guy says now actually be worth trading away solid assets for?

I obviously want max value for him or any other player in a trade. But I'm having trouble believing he or his camp has done all they reasonably can to facilitate that. In fact, they appear to have done everything possible to minimize his value. This leaves SA in a really tough spot one could argue isn't of their own making. If they don't trade Leonard somewhere this summer, and he's set on getting to the Lakers one way or the other next summer, 2018-9 becomes an even more lost season for the Spurs than we just experienced. The big difference (aside from Gay now also being gone at the SF position and another year of tread wear on Manu and TP) is that we'll now know it's a disaster on the front end.

In that worst-case scenario, would Pop play Leonard as usual (assuming the guy doesn't just refuse to play), in hopes he'll come to his senses before hitting free agency next year? Or would the front office start trying to get more playing time for other guys, even though no one else likely to be on the roster this fall is in Leonard's galaxy as a player? To this point, it's gone down as by far the most bizarre "player problem" I can recall in the history of the Spurs. And I've followed them for every day of their history in the city.  

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Like 1

If they can't get decent value for him, they won't trade him. He has to play next season, and he will have to do so for the Spurs. A lot can happen and the Spurs can hope to change his mind or can trade him near the deadline for some good value to a team making a run.

It would be awesome to first make him come out and say that he's 100% healthy to facilitate his trade demands, and then make him play for the spurs next year. He would get booed every time he touched the ball at home for 41 games. Or he would have to back out of playing, essentially admitting that he's a lying tanking piece of shit. 

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

In that worst-case scenario, would Pop play Leonard as usual (assuming the guy doesn't just refuse to play), in hopes he'll come to his senses before hitting free agency next year? Or would the front office start trying to get more playing time for other guys, even though no one else likely to be on the roster this fall is in Leonard's galaxy as a player? To this point, it's gone down as by far the most bizarre "player problem" I can recall in the history of the Spurs. And I've followed them for every day of their history in the city.  

I can't see SAS wanting him to play for a year without this situation completely resolved. Imagine TP and Manu (and LaMarcus for that matter, or any teammate other than his buddy Danny) having to dress next to that guy in the locker room, who hasn't signed the SuperMax, who bullshitted us for an entire basketball season, and who obviously is just treading water until he can make his move to LA. It's still Super Max contract or nothing at all, no way I'd want him in the locker room otherwise, I don't see how Pop would want that either.

Oh, and I'll gladly join the chorus of Fuck Jabari Young. What a trolling immature bastard.

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

I can't see SAS wanting him to play for a year without this situation completely resolved. Imagine TP and Manu (and LaMarcus for that matter, or any teammate other than his buddy Danny) having to dress next to that guy in the locker room, who hasn't signed the SuperMax, who bullshitted us for an entire basketball season, and who obviously is just treading water until he can make his move to LA. It's still Super Max contract or nothing at all, no way I'd want him in the locker room otherwise, I don't see how Pop would want that either.

Oh, and I'll gladly join the chorus of Fuck Jabari Young. What a trolling immature bastard.

I agree.  This will resolve itself by the beginning of the season or shortly after at the latest.  From most sources, Kawhi finally told Pop he wants to be traded, so now it's about leveraging the power brokers that be to get the best deal.  Sucks for the franchise but this is why the front office is paid so well.  Time to step up and win the chess game.  From now until probably Nov is the window where the Spurs will have the most leverage and they need to use it to ensure a proper future.  There will be a bidding war for Kawhi, despite what he wants....

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It would be awesome to first make him come out and say that he's 100% healthy to facilitate his trade demands, and then make him play for the spurs next year. He would get booed every time he touched the ball at home for 41 games. Or he would have to back out of playing, essentially admitting that he's a lying tanking piece of shit. 

And he'd probably jack up 30 shots a game to inflate his scoring average.  

This is still just weird.  Is there an indication that he doesn't want to play with LMA?  He didn't seem to mind being the prodigy next to duncan, manu, and TP.  Now that it is his time to get the spotlight maybe he is pissed that LMA got to have his summer of drama and the spurs gave LMA everything he asked for?  I don't know, maybe he was told the team would continue to be run as it always has been and then bam... out of nowhere they give a max contract to LMA which hurts the financial culture of the team. 

I tend to think he doesn't like playing with LMA.  I just can't get through the idea that he was the darling of the franchise for 6 years and now all of the sudden he hates Pop and doesn't want to play under him and his leadership.  Or maybe, like most rookies, he was just trying to get to his second contract so he could leave with a fat stack.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I agree.  This will resolve itself by the beginning of the season or shortly after at the latest.  From most sources, Kawhi finally told Pop he wants to be traded, so now it's about leveraging the power brokers that be to get the best deal.  Sucks for the franchise but this is why the front office is paid so well.  Time to step up and win the chess game.  From now until probably Nov is the window where the Spurs will have the most leverage and they need to use it to ensure a proper future.  There will be a bidding war for Kawhi, despite what he wants....

There is also the possibility that the Spurs botch this. Kawhi tells teams he plans to sign with the Lakers in '19, so these other teams offer reduced package for a rental.

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

There is also the possibility that the Spurs botch this. Kawhi tells teams he plans to sign with the Lakers in '19, so these other teams offer reduced package for a rental.

I'm sure that's what he plans on doing and threatening this.  But Magic and company need to put together their super team this offseason, which includes Lebron so they have a small time window.  If they don't then the same Lakers deal will be available in a week or in two months....

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm sure that's what he plans on doing and threatening this.  But Magic and company need to put together their super team this offseason, which includes Lebron so they have a small time window.  If they don't then the same Lakers deal will be available in a week or in two months....

They could wait a year for Kawhi if it means keeping Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, draft picks, etc. You have to assume that Lebron is picking his final team to finish his career.

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

They could wait a year for Kawhi if it means keeping Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, draft picks, etc. You have to assume that Lebron is picking his final team to finish his career.

They could..... so the Lakers want to suck again for a year?  Is that your position?  They'll just wait it out?  If that's the case, then we could simply deal Kawhi to the Clippers....

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They could..... so the Lakers want to suck again for a year?  Is that your position?  They'll just wait it out?  If that's the case, then we could simply deal Kawhi to the Clippers....

I was suggesting Lebron and PG13 could go there this offseason, and Kawhi could follow the next year. My point is just if Lebron goes to the Lakers he may not be as impatient as he has been in the past. If he was in pure chasing rings mode, he'd go to Houston, Boston, or Philly. IF he choses LA, it may be to finish his career there.

Edited by Ricky Butler
PG13

13 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I was suggesting Lebron and PG3 could go there this offseason, and Kawhi could follow the next year. My point is just if Lebron goes to the Lakers he may not be as impatient as he has been in the past. If he was in pure chasing rings mode, he'd go to Houston, Boston, or Philly. IF he choses LA, it may be to finish his career there.

The issue with your thesis is 1.  You're positing Lebron is going to hang around for a year waiting on Kawhi?  He's going to be 34 years old and would be 35 by the time Kawhi could get there and integrated and  Lebron wants to win more championships, not wait around..  That seems like a naive assumption.  2.  A year is a long time.  Things can and will happen.  Hell, Kawhi went from wanting to be a Spurs for life to wanting out in a year.  Spending a year in Boston or Philly or wherever could have him rethink what he wants to do.  What if he got hurt again?  3.  The salary cap.  If you take on 35 million for Lebron and 30 million for Paul George, you still would have to gut the team to even attempt to sign Kawhi to a max UFA deal.  More than likely, they'd have to facilitate a trade with the Spurs or another team to fit Kawhi in the salary cap.  4.  Money.  Kawhi is already going to give up the super max, is he going to want to give up more money to try and sign a UFA deal with the Lakers?  It's getting expensive for Kawhi and doing so would probably cost him about 80 million in guaranteed money to get to his preferred destination in 2 years..... I don't know.  Seems like a lot of things to consider..... and a lot of risk, for the Lakers.  For Lebron.  And for Kawhi.  It's a risk for the Spurs too, but when you play the Game of Zones, you win or you die.  There is no illegal defense.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The issue with your thesis is 1.  You're positing Lebron is going to hang around for a year waiting on Kawhi?  He's going to be 34 years old and would be 35 by the time Kawhi could get there and integrated and  Lebron wants to win more championships, not wait around..  That seems like a naive assumption.  2.  A year is a long time.  Things can and will happen.  Hell, Kawhi went from wanting to be a Spurs from life to wanting out in a year.  Spending a year in Boston or Philly or wherever could have him rethink what he wants to do.  What if he got hurt again?  3.  The salary cap.  If you take on 35 million for Lebron and 30 million for Paul George, you still would have to gut the team to even attempt to sign Kawhi to a max UFA deal.  More than likely, they'd have to facilitate a trade with the Spurs or another team to fit Kawhi in the salary cap.  4.  Money.  Kawhi is already going to give up the super max, is he going to want to give up more money to try and sign a UFA deal with the Lakers?  It's getting expensive for Kawhi and doing so would probably cost him about 80 million in guaranteed money to get to his preferred destination in 2 years..... I don't know.  Seems like a lot of things to consider..... and a lot of risk, for the Lakers.  For Lebron.  And for Kawhi.  It's a risk for the Spurs too, but when you play the Game of Zones, you win or you die.  There is no illegal defense.

It's all complicated. I get it. I'm just saying these things are unpredictable. Like you said, who could have foreseen how this Kawhi situation played out. The idea that Lebron could be a little patient doesn't seem outrageous. "Hey Lebron, the longer we wait, the lower the price, the better team we will have for Kawhi to join."  And I think any team that has Kawhi next year would facilitate a sign and trade. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

It's all complicated. I get it. I'm just saying these things are unpredictable. Like you said, who could have foreseen how this Kawhi situation played out. The idea that Lebron could be a little patient doesn't seem outrageous. "Hey Lebron, the longer we wait, the lower the price, the better team we will have for Kawhi to join."  And I think any team that has Kawhi next year would facilitate a sign and trade. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. 

Hey Lebron.... you'll be 35 years old at that time..... Oh shit, Kawhi got hurt.  We'll figure something out..... you may have to wait until 2021 now though.  A lot of risk..... a lot.  And let's remember how Lebron has worked in the past.  He didn't decide to move to Miami until Wade and Bosh bought in (Lebron did want Cleveland but those two said Miami).  He didn't decide on going back to Cleveland until Minny and Cleveland had an agreement in place for Love to give him the core 3.  He didn't want to move Kyrie for a future asset last summer because he wanted to try and work it out and it gave him the best possible situation to win last season.  Lebron has been a win now guy his entire career (which is wise for a player IMO).  Organizations can take a L-T approach, players typically look S-T, especially aging ones.  

And you're correct.... the Spurs could fuck all of this up.  Definitely an option, but they aren't without leverage.... and have more than I think most casual fans realize.  Now, if the Lakers weren't interested in getting Lebron right now and wanted to take a longer term outlook but still wanted to pay up then I could see them low balling an offer but I don't think that's the case.  

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hey Lebron.... you'll be 35 years old at that time..... Oh shit, Kawhi got hurt.  We'll figure something out..... you may have to wait until 2021 now though.  A lot of risk..... a lot.  And let's remember how Lebron has worked in the past.  He didn't decide to move to Miami until Wade and Bosh bought in (Lebron did want Cleveland but those two said Miami).  He didn't decide on going back to Cleveland until Minny and Cleveland had an agreement in place for Love to give him the core 3.  He didn't want to move Kyrie for a future asset last summer because he wanted to try and work it out and it gave him the best possible situation to win last season.  Lebron has been a win now guy his entire career (which is wise for a player IMO).  Organizations can take a L-T approach, players typically look S-T, especially aging ones.  

And you're correct.... the Spurs could fuck all of this up.  Definitely an option, but they aren't without leverage.... and have more than I think most casual fans realize.  Now, if the Lakers weren't interested in getting Lebron right now and wanted to take a longer term outlook but still wanted to pay up then I could see them low balling an offer but I don't think that's the case.  

Then Lebron will probably be playing with Damian Lillard next year and not Kawhi.

With regards to leverage. Kawhi just sat at a year of his prime on a contender because he was upset with them. Seems like a guy that sticks to his guns. If you're a team trading for him, and his agent told you his plans were to sign in LA in '19, wouldn't that scare you?