2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I don't.... it may be what they settle for but I don't think it'll be their first choice..... Tatum, yes.  Brown, no.  

I think you are drastically overvaluing what we will get in return. I doubt we do better than Brown, Rozier and a draft pick. I'm not even sure if the Celtics would want to give up both Brown and Rozier. 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm thinking the best possible scenario is Griffin is hired in Philly and Lebron wants to form his next super team in Philly.  Wants Embiid, Kawhi, and him there which makes Simmons the odd man out because of styles and salary.  Kawhi and something (maybe Patty) to Philly for Simmons, Covington (for salary match), Saric and pick.

Any "plan" that gets Simmons to SA has my attention. Mercurial talent right there.

If Boston's the trade partner, Tatum of course seems the crown jewel. Brown is solid and might indeed turn into another Kawhi, but a lot of speculation there. Hayward, meanwhile, is about as much of a wild card on health as Kawhi is.

Kyrie clearly is a stud, but the question is whether or not he'd hold together long enough for us to extract real value. Maybe he could be bolted together to the point we're back on the map as a top 3 Western Conference team next year. I wouldn't bet on it, and I certainly wouldn't bet on anything beyond there. But perhaps as a reliable scorer until we can ramp up the next wave of young players, he might work. You can't win big in today's association without making quite a few jumpers, and I've had no choice but to give up on Mills and Green to provide them. 

All that said, I'd obviously prefer a fully healthy Kawhi snap out of it and stay in SA forever. But that's not my call. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think you are drastically overvaluing what we will get in return. I doubt we do better than Brown, Rozier and a draft pick. I'm not even sure if the Celtics would want to give up both Brown and Rozier. 

You said we'd jump on it.... I clearly typed we may end up there but I think we'll ask or try to get more.  I have no idea what we'll get, but I think we'll take our time and certainly shoot for the moon.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I have no idea what his value is, but what if Boston and Philly are both in the running? Would probably sweeten it a little for the Spurs.

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is interesting. Spurs could dump Gasol/Mills. Celtics could keep Brown/Tatum. Spurs would get some good value in return with Hayward and Rozier. 

Better be a lottery pick, IMO...... Basically that's Kawhi for Hayward and pick.  Salary dump is nice and Haywards's a good player but he ain't Kawhi....

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

If Kwahi really does want to go to the Lakers then someone from Lebrons camp is in his ear about going there.

That actually gives us a ton of leverage though...... We can simply say no until we get a deal we want.  Time is a huge issue for LA.  If they pull off trades and/or signings for Lebron AND PG, then Kawhi would need to be traded this year while he's cheap.  Also, Lebron doesn't want to wait around a year waiting for Kawhi.  He'll move on before that happens.  If this is his plan, we simply don't have to play ball and he can go to the West and get beaten in the 2nd round of the WC playoffs.  May be better for his legacy.

In a lot of ways, Lebron's camp should take that meeting with the Spurs and talk about the idea of pairing them together in the East.  From there, Lebron can leverage the front offices to give us what we want to get Kawhi there.  We know Leborn loves Kawhi, especially his playing style.  Lebron, Kawhi and Emiid to Philly with some decent role players are definitely top 2 in the East.  In a weird way, Lebron and the Spurs could help each other a lot....

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That actually gives us a ton of leverage though...... We can simply say no until we get a deal we want.  Time is a huge issue for LA.  If they pull off trades and/or signings for Lebron AND PG, then Kawhi would need to be traded this year while he's cheap.  Also, Lebron doesn't want to wait around a year waiting for Kawhi.  He'll move on before that happens.  If this is his plan, we simply don't have to play ball and he can go to the West and get beaten in the 2nd round of the WC playoffs.  May be better for his legacy.

High stakes game of chicken...can Kawhi hold out this year on us if we don't trade him?  I guess that's the ultimate question, would we give up his play this year and then potentially get nothing next year when he walks?

I really hope we can find a way to move up in this draft because I think there's a lot of value in the mid first round. 

A player like Robert Williams would be a huge steal at around 12 or 13. His offensive game is meh but I think he's going to be a defensive force/rebounder for years in the NBA. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm thinking the best possible scenario is Griffin is hired in Philly and Lebron wants to form his next super team in Philly.  Wants Embiid, Kawhi, and him there which makes Simmons the odd man out because of styles and salary.  Kawhi and something (maybe Patty) to Philly for Simmons, Covington (for salary match), Saric and pick.

ben simmons is not going to be the odd man out in philly.  especially if lebron was to go there.  simmons is a klutch sports guy.  

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

I sure as hell won't be rooting for him.

I won't be rooting for him but he still played a big role in the Spurs getting a ring in '14. 

Kawhi will never go down as an All-Time Spur like Manu, Parker or Duncan. Hate it ended this way but I would still run it back because he helped win a ring. 

Edited by texasstrong12

33 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

ben simmons is not going to be the odd man out in philly.  especially if lebron was to go there.  simmons is a klutch sports guy.  

That's a fair point, but after yet another loss, Lebron may be thinking much more about his legacy than rewarding his agent....... I doubt Philly would trade Simmons anyway.

LOL!  Apparently, according to Woj, Kawhi's camp keeps changing their minds.  It's something different everyday, but the Clippers may be the better destination for him....

The biggest thing moving forward is I hope we are prioritizing young assets and looking to dump contracts like Gasol. To me, the window is all about long-term flexibility right now. 

Whether you want to admit it or not, the Warriors are probably going to dominate this league for 2 to 4 more years. Maybe the Celtics or Rockets can challenge them by adding a Kawhi or Lebron type player. Still I would favor the Warriors. 

Bottom line is the window to win championships right now is at least 2 or 4 years away (that's including Kawhi). We need to be prioritizing young players and building for the future. I would not mind seeing what type of trade value a player like LMA has. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

If Kwahi really does want to go to the Lakers then someone from Lebrons camp is in his ear about going there.

Is there any past evidence that LeBron and kawhi are that close?  He was known to be friends with wade and cp3.  But maybe he's done trying to appease his friends and just wants to  win again.

If healthy, this guy is the "plug and play" game changer for a bunch of teams that are close (or think they're close) to title contention. More so than a PG, or Russ or such spares as DWade. But the "if healthy" part is the X factor, obviously. I'm not convinced he's 100 percent. But then, I also can see how the lingering injury well could have been contrived. I can't figure out why, other than the Leonard camp is just dreaming of Lakers gold in more ways than one. Whatever's happening, I hate to see it or even think about it...but here we apparently are. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Any team can have him if they take Paus contract  with them.   

Honeslty, unless spurs get a quality player,  and a good draft pick , then it's time to tank.  Trade LaMarcus  too.  

The problem with tanking is it's going to be nearly impossible unless we trade LMA. 

People forget the team last year was 3 wins away from the 3 seed in the West without Kawhi. If you replace Kawhi's DNPs last year with a player like Brown they would have been a top 5 team in the NBA. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The biggest thing moving forward is I hope we are prioritizing young assets and looking to dump contracts like Gasol. To me, the window is all about long-term flexibility right now. 

Whether you want to admit it or not, the Warriors are probably going to dominate this league for 2 to 4 more years. Maybe the Celtics or Rockets can challenge them by adding a Kawhi or Lebron type player. Still I would favor the Warriors. 

Bottom line is the window to win championships right now is at least 2 or 4 years away (that's including Kawhi). We need to be prioritizing young players and building for the future. I would not mind seeing what type of trade value a player like LMA has. 

Yep.  No one (at least not the Spurs) is beating the Warriors in the next couple years.  Getting Hayward or Kyrie now doesn't make us a championship caliber team.  We need to get much younger and stock up on draft picks.  I start with Jaylen Brown and a couple picks, or go to Phoenix/Sacramento and try to get the #1/2 pick along with a couple other young players.