2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

21 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Per sources, he felt that the Spurs turned on him after he sought a second opinion.

I know that no two injuries are the same, but it was ominous in hindsight that Parker came back ASAP from the same injury and Kawhi dragged his heels. If he got his little feewings hurt over the business only attitude of a front office that has hung multiple banners, then he can go get his bottom powdered somewhere else.

Still holding out hope that this is just someone in his camp stirring shit, though. Have a hard time believing that Kawhi was too thin skinned for the Spurs.

For you.....

3 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Any team can have him if they take Paus contract  with them.   

Honeslty, unless spurs get a quality player,  and a good draft pick , then it's time to tank.  Trade LaMarcus  too.  

Spurs will most likely get at least one good young player (probably 2) and a high draft pick...... Take a deep breath.

Collin cowherd was spooging his pants at the thought of LA getting kawhi and lebron AND Paul george. 

Also, apparently Lakers are second guessing lonzo.  I think lonzo would  be great with the spurs.   He seems like the kind of guy that could learn a lot from pop, plus learn defense. Plus  patty could go back to the bench.  

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

4 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Collin cowherd was spooging his pants at the thought of LA getting kawhi and lebron AND Paul george. 

Also, apparently Lakers are second guessing lonzo.  I think lonzo would  be great with the spurs.   He seems like the kind of guy that could learn a lot from pop, plus learn defense. Plus  patty could go back to the bench.  

tenor.gif?itemid=5231111

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Question: will there ever be a more hated ex-Spur if Kawhi leverages his way out of SA, especially if he manages to find his way to the Lakers?

Probably not.  There used to be the mack brown  curse, but there is probably  a popovich curse.  Can't think of a spurs player that decided to leave the spurs that ended up getting remarkably better.   Stephen Jackson? 

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

Probably not.  There used to be the mack brown  curse, but there is probably  a popovich curse.  Can't think of a spurs player that decided to leave the spurs that ended up getting remarkably better.   Stephen Jackson? 

He'll probably post better stats, because his usage will skyrocket.  He'll also get injured again, but no one in NYC or LA will give a fuck, because they'll want to wear out the treads on their new toy.  That's what kills me; PATFO is the trailblazer on managing our players for longevity, yet somehow he feels "betrayed" in that regard.

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Just to be clear, every team in the league would be interested

Sure, but only a few actually have the assets...... I'm sure the Raptors are interested, but they're not realistic.  I'm sure Portland is interested, but same thing...... 

Still, more buyers you can invite to the auction, the better the price....

30 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

OKC gave up Oladipo and Sabonis for a PG rental...... It happened just last year.

OKC was a playoff team with a max player in his prime, and Olidipo's value was low. Also, Olidipo wasn't on a rookie contract for 5 years.

I think a more realistic comp to that is a player for player. Like CJ McCollum for Kawhi.

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Keith Smith thinks we can do better than Fultz, Saric and #10 pick which is interesting. 

I think Fultz will end up a real player (with the usual "if healthy" caveat), and Saric is a solid talent. Whoever's there at 10 surely is better than most of the stuff now on SA's roster.

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

OKC was a playoff team with a max player in his prime, and Olidipo's value was low. Also, Olidipo wasn't on a rookie contract for 5 years.

I think a more realistic comp to that is a player for player. Like CJ McCollum for Kawhi.

We'll see..... Most experts think you're way off in value.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Keith Smith thinks we can do better than Fultz, Saric and #10 pick which is interesting. 

We can.  Fultz's value is really weird right now.  He can't shoot..... Talent but he would have to be rebuilt in some ways.

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

How does the CBA work these days? I'm guessing you can't supermax a guy, then trade him.

And by that, I mean trade him as part of some huge "sign-and-trade" deal. But I know nothing about this stuff. 

Correct.  Kawhi is going to forgo the supermax....

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We'll see..... Most experts think you're way off in value.

We can.  Fultz's value is really weird right now.  He can't shoot..... Talent but he would have to be rebuilt in some ways.

No, you're misunderstanding my point. It doesn't make sense for the Kings. It absolutely makes sense for any team that can resign him... Boston, LA, Philly, etc.

4 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

No, you're misunderstanding my point. It doesn't make sense for the Kings. It absolutely makes sense for any team that can resign him... Boston, LA, Philly, etc.

I understand your point..... Last summer, OKC didn't have any guarantee (and still don't) George would re-sign there yet they made a gamble.  Teams can't "officially" speak with Kawhi at this time to understand if he would be open to re-signing so they'll have to make assessments about their situation.  His team can put out whispers but a lot of times, guys don't know what they'll do until they're in their new situation.  Sacramento is probably the least compelling of the teams mentioned (except the Knicks), but that's mainly because they're not one player away from contending for a title and their assets are meh..... except for the 2nd pick.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

no doubt, but Fultz wouldn't be the selling point in that trade. It would be Saric. 

Then that's gross..... He's a nice player but shouldn't be the foundation of a trade for Kawhi.  Now, maybe that's the best we can do, but as Smith mentions, we should be able to do better than that.  We'll see, I guess.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I understand your point..... Last summer, OKC didn't have any guarantee (and still don't) George would re-sign there yet they made a gamble.  Teams can't "officially" speak with Kawhi at this time to understand if he would be open to re-signing so they'll have to make assessments about their situation.  His team can put out whispers but a lot of times, guys don't know what they'll do until they're in their new situation.  Sacramento is probably the least compelling of the teams mentioned (except the Knicks), but that's mainly because they're not one player away from contending for a title and their assets are meh..... except for the 2nd pick.

No you don't. The differences in franchises IS the point. OKC has a better franchise and had the reigning MVP. They probably thought the two stars could gel, and George would resign. Sacramento hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years and they are probably the worst franchise in the NBA. Also they are in a small market. They should not have delusions that any star would sign there long-term until they get there shit together.

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

No you don't. The differences in franchises IS the point. OKC has a better franchise and had the reigning MVP. They probably thought the two stars could gel, and George would resign. Sacramento hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years and they are probably the worst franchise in the NBA. Also they are in a small market. They should not have delusions that any star would sign there long-term until they get there shit together.

I do understand...... I agree with you that I don't think they're a realistic destination, but because Sacramento is mismanaged is the reason some are wondering if they'll get involved.  You're starting with a premise that a smart organization in Sacramento's position would be foolish to entertain such a thought.... yet the entire reason they are in the position they currently reside is because they're wholly mismanaged.  Stupid organizations do stupid things..... Again, I think it's wish fulfillment for them.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lakers seem unlikely unless they give up Kuzma. The Spurs don't need another young PG with shooting issues. They already have Murray. Maybe Ingram and some other pieces would get the job done.

Yea..... Ball makes no sense so it'd have to be Ingram, Kuzma, this year's first and probably another.  Not sure if that's a great deal.  Ingram has been meh but a lot of talent evaluators are still bullish on him.  I'd have to watch more film.  Seems like he drifts a lot on the court.

22 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Or his camp is calling the Spurs bluff if the team indicated they weren't going to give him the supermax until they mended fences.

I just don't see him giving up that type of money, especially after his Nike deal went south. I could be wrong, but that's a shitload of cash to give up because your feelings are hurt.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Or his camp is calling the Spurs bluff if the team indicated they weren't going to give him the supermax until they mended fences.

I just don't see him giving up that type of money, especially after his Nike deal went south. I could be wrong, but that's a shitload of cash to give up because your feelings are hurt.

I agree. There's a piece missing in all this. Uncle stepped out and fucked things up, I think.

I'm thinking the best possible scenario is Griffin is hired in Philly and Lebron wants to form his next super team in Philly.  Wants Embiid, Kawhi, and him there which makes Simmons the odd man out because of styles and salary.  Kawhi and something (maybe Patty) to Philly for Simmons, Covington (for salary match), Saric and pick.