2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

52 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Serious question though, as much of a distraction as LaVar has been, it has not affected Ball or the Lakers on the court in any way I've seen.

The same cannot be said of "Uncle Dennis."  I'd much rather have LaVar than "Uncle Dennis" so in a way that's still a trade up.  Of course, Kawhi is twice the player Lonzo is, but he does have a lot of upside.

Lavar wanted all of his sons to play for the Lakers since before they were born, and he was still a distraction this season. Now imagine what Lavar would be like after the Lakers trade away his kid to San Antonio. 

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Lavar wanted all of his sons to play for the Lakers since before they were born, and he was still a distraction this season. Now imagine what Lavar would be like after the Lakers trade away his kid to San Antonio. 

What if he gets traded to Cleveland?!?!  Or OKC.... lol.  Lonzo is a non-starter.  If folks don't know that, then they don't understand the Spurs culture.

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

What if he gets traded to Cleveland?!?!  Or OKC.... lol.  Lonzo is a non-starter.  If folks don't know that, then they don't understand the Spurs culture.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs had Lonzo completely off their Draft Board last June.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

5. Twenty whatever years ago, Gregg Popovich traded Dennis Rodman for fucking Will Perdue setting a precedent for how this franchise will be run. There is the Spurs way and there is the NBA way. The Spurs will not be dragged by someone's jackass uncle into running this franchise like a clown show.

While this is true in theory there's a big difference between Rodman and Kawhis talent level. Imagine it was Robinson who was a jackass, and pop traded Robinson for will Perdue.

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

The Lakers have far less time here to pay up or risk losing out.  If they want all three, Kawhi has to be traded to them before everything else to make the money work.  Furthermore, LeBron has expressed through his handlers that he doesn't want to be the first star to jump ship to LA this offseason.  Yeah, LeBron could always change his mind even if Kawhi is traded to LA.  I really, really doubt LA is willing to take that risk and end up whiffing on everyone this offseason because they don't want to include an extra young player and an extra pick or two.

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1012413115038883847

It's silly season.

Edited by Ricky Butler
How do i get the tweets to show up in the body?

If it ever came to that, sure, LaVar would be worse than Uncle Dennis.  But to date that's just hypothetical.  He may respect Pop more than Luke Walton and back off.  I stand by what I said.  LaVar has caused less harm to the Lakers than Dennis has caused to the Spurs.

9 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

If it ever came to that, sure, LaVar would be worse than Uncle Dennis.  But to date that's just hypothetical.  He may respect Pop more than Luke Walton and back off.  I stand by what I said.  LaVar has caused less harm to the Lakers than Dennis has caused to the Spurs.

laughter.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Lonzo is an amazing prospect. I get that you can't stand his Dad, but he has a chance to be great.

I won't argue the talent aspect but I certainly don't think he's a can't-miss-kid at this point. What I'm telling you is that he has baggage -- i.e. his dad -- that 100% precludes him ever being affiliated with the Pop Era Spurs. Period. End of story. To think otherwise, is foolish. And it was stated at least twice above that LaVar has been an issue AND HIS SON IS PLAYING FOR HIS TEAM OF CHOICE (LAKERS)! He would not "play nice" in a small market like Portland or San Antonio.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I won't argue the talent aspect but I certainly don't think he's a can't-miss-kid at this point. What I'm telling you is that he has baggage -- i.e. his dad -- that 100% precludes him ever being affiliated with the Pop Era Spurs. Period. End of story. To think otherwise, is foolish. And it was stated at least twice above that LaVar has been an issue AND HIS SON IS PLAYING FOR HIS TEAM OF CHOICE (LAKERS)! He would not "play nice" in a small market like Portland or San Antonio.

It would be must see tv. 

I wonder if Lonzo gets shipped off for that very reason, in another trade, if Lebron goes to LA.

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

TBH, other than the Spurs the NBA hasn't interested me very much at all since LeBron took his talents to South Beach.

I hear you. I grew up rooting for Holtzman's Knicks and became a huge Spurs fan as soon as the team arrived from Dallas. I've maintained my strong link to the Spurs even after moving to the Atlanta area 34 years ago. And I'm as proud of the five rings as anyone could be. But I'll admit the stuff we're seeing right now has put a strain on my devotion. Can't wait to see a new generation of Spurs write their own history. Something tells me the franchise won't be trying to win one for the "gimper." 

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

While this is true in theory there's a big difference between Rodman and Kawhis talent level. Imagine it was Robinson who was a jackass, and pop traded Robinson for will Perdue.

There's also a huge difference between Robinson's talent level and Rodman's. They probably could have done better than Will Perdue for him if he had similar grievances to Kawhi. 

6. Some semi-related food for thought: there is some scuttlebutt that the Spurs medical staff misdiagnosed Patty Mills's shoulder injury prior to his last free agency period, and it cost him big time. That's why they overpaid him last summer.

Interesting. Makes me wonder who ultimately makes the call when it comes to... Say.... LaMarcus' heart?

Maybe whoever is leaking all this  "information" can leak the truth behind his injury.   I have a hard time believing two doctors that specialize in treating athletes could have such differing diagnoses on a single body part.  Now if it's something like Dr A says "you can play through this,  there's no danger of longterm damage" woke Dr B says "this is career threatening,  you should be in a cast right now" I could believe that.   But it's made to seem like spurs said it was a quad when NYC Dr said it was a calf.  

6 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Maybe whoever is leaking all this  "information" can leak the truth behind his injury.   I have a hard time believing two doctors that specialize in treating athletes could have such differing diagnoses on a single body part.  Now if it's something like Dr A says "you can play through this,  there's no danger of longterm damage" woke Dr B says "this is career threatening,  you should be in a cast right now" I could believe that.   But it's made to seem like spurs said it was a quad when NYC Dr said it was a calf.  

I think when you realize that doctors, in general, are only as good as what the MRI tells them, you’ll realize how often they just don’t know what’s going on orthopedic-wise. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

If I'm the Spurs, and I know he's healthy, and I know he's purposefully a no-call, no-show, can't he be sued or something?  I know there's a CBA and the players are somewhat coddled but he's basically admitted that he's healthy enough to be teammates with LeBron and Lonzo Ball for 18-19.  Surely there's a way to sue over the "guaranteed" money he has for 2018 on some kind of fired-for-cause type clause.  If an NBA player was busted by a #metoo post, I guarantee Silver bans that guy from the league and the salary probably goes away, too.

Is anyone at least a bit curious how Kawhi can get paid to purposefully avoid the team?

Let’s discuss Jaylen Brown for a second, as he’d presumably be a piece in any Celtics trade for Leonard. (I don’t think that trade is likely, but let’s just suppose.) Is Brown not to some extent a Leonard starter kit? Seems to have the overall talent, though I can’t speak to coachability or effort. 

6 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Let’s discuss Jaylen Brown for a second, as he’d presumably be a piece in any Celtics trade for Leonard. (I don’t think that trade is likely, but let’s just suppose.) Is Brown not to some extent a Leonard starter kit? Seems to have the overall talent, though I can’t speak to coachability or effort. 

Doesn't have the body nor the defensive skill but is going to be a good offensive player..... Kawhi starter kit?  I don't think so, more Jimmy Butler or a smaller Paul George, IMO.  Which is a very good player but he still has a long way to go.  Reportedly he has his head on straight and is a gym rat.

Sure not expecting any SF to morph into a Kawhi clone. But Brown brings a lot of raw material to the table. He’s listed as 6-7/225 to Kawhi’s 6-7/230, so I’m thinking he has the potential to be a decent rebounder and defender if the desire is there. The guy grew up about 10 miles from here on the outskirts of Atlanta and was a monster at the HS level. Still, all moot unless he ends up in SA. 

I have a couple questions:

1. Everybody is making a big deal about the Lakers getting a deal done today, because of the looming start to free agency and Lebron.  However, can't Lebron opt out and still sign with the Cavs?  Not sure why there would be any reason to get a deal done sooner rather than later.

2. Lebron has shown he has way more control than other players.  If he's putting together a super team, it's most likely of his creation.  That said, would he really want the Lakers to trade solid young pieces to the Spurs if he's moving into the western conference.  Wouldn't he rather build a super team with PG13 and CP3 or KD than with Kawhi? 

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Pretty much rules out Lebron to Houston or Boston. Stakes just got higher for Kawhi. Who is going to land Kawhi first? Philadelphia or LA? 

Or the Clippers?  Or Boston!!!  Or Denver!!!  LOL.  It doesn't have a big effect but it does close a few options for Lebron realistically.... Lakers probably feel good he's coming but a little nervous about who's coming with him.  

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Or the Clippers?  Or Boston!!!  Or Denver!!!  LOL.  It doesn't have a big effect but it does close a few options for Lebron realistically.... Lakers probably feel good he's coming but a little nervous about who's coming with him.  

I think the Lakers care less about who is coming with LBJ than LBJ. Lake Show just wants LBJ at whatever cost.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think the Lakers care less about who is coming with LBJ than LBJ. Lake Show just wants LBJ at whatever cost.

While I agree with you somewhat..... we all know, Lebron is going to exact a ton of pressure on his next destination and he wants to win now.  He'll sign a 1 and 1 and ask for a S&T IMO to first, exert leverage -- get me a couple of stars, Magic.  Second, I think he wants to sign that big 10 year super veteran max next year.  I think he'd be okay with just Paul George, but I don't think he'd be happy.  He'd want Magic to make another move, like trade for Jimmy Butler or Kemba Walker, etc, etc.

Lebron should pick the Sixers especially if they land Kawhi. Would much rather be in the East with talent like Simmons, Kawhi and Embiid. 

I get the feeling Lebron wants LA though. 

Better chance of winning in the East with the Sixers. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lebron should pick the Sixers especially if they land Kawhi. Would much rather be in the East with talent like Simmons, Kawhi and Embiid. 

I get the feeling Lebron wants LA though. 

Better chance of winning in the East with the Sixers. 

I've been saying that since the start...... This is a good window too as they have some space and some expiring contracts.

But he really wants LA.  I still want to know if  Lebron and PG will want to be traded to get those bigger contracts.

39 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

While I agree with you somewhat..... we all know, Lebron is going to exact a ton of pressure on his next destination and he wants to win now.  He'll sign a 1 and 1 and ask for a S&T IMO to first, exert leverage -- get me a couple of stars, Magic.  Second, I think he wants to sign that big 10 year super veteran max next year.  I think he'd be okay with just Paul George, but I don't think he'd be happy.  He'd want Magic to make another move, like trade for Jimmy Butler or Kemba Walker, etc, etc.

Maybe I didn't write that as clear as could have. What I mean is the Lakers want LBJ no matter the cost, no matter who else comes with him. They just want LBJ period. If he's the only star, fuck it. Let's roll. On the flip side, LeBron isn't likely to jump to the Lakers without some sort of assurance that he's not the only superstar moving to LA. That would have to be Kawhi, George or Chris Paul. Somebody. That's all I meant.

It's kind of creepy that today is Kawhi's birthday and the Spurs Facebook page is wishing him a Happy Birthday. I know they are still trying to "repair" the relationship, but fuck Kawhi!  I hope his birthday sucks.

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hate said:

My son has a Kawhi jersey that I’m not sure what to do with. I told him what was going on last night and he said that he hates Kawhi now too. Sad!

My son has a Kawhi Spurs jersey shirt that he's outgrown. I have one that I'm not quite sure what to do with either. It won't be worn anytime soon. I also have a Kawhi FunkoPop that I got last Feb as my nephews are knee-deep into those -- I also have a Ron Swanson one, BTW. Not sure what to do with Kawhi Funko, though. Ideas?