2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

The Sixers have to make some moves. Losing Ilyasova and Belinelli were significant losses. They might also lose JJ Reddick. 

They're either planning for a big move in free agency/trades or next year is going to be a step back. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I've always said if Philly is at the 2 yard line with Lebron then Ainge can't fuck around anymore and they get serious about Kawhi..... Then we can shoot for the stars with the Sixers rather than settling for a meh deal.  You ask for Simmons, basically telling delivering Kawhi gets you both Kawhi and Lebron.  They probably say no and then you go to Ainge and say, you want to be 2nd best to Lebron the next 3 years?  See what we can get...... But I agree with Lowe, we're not doing a deal with Philly unless Saric, the 1st and Fultz are attached.  Maybe go with Smith..... or maybe both.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Don't think this is all that accurate in listings but you can kind of see what we have under contract right now.  Paul and White aren't really wings, they're combo guards.  Leonard probably not with us L-T.  And then a question becomes what do we do with Metu?  I like him but we probably want to see him in SL.  Also all of our "wings", which I guess is their way of saying off-guard are 6'5" or below without Kawhi although Danny may be listed at 6'6".  Still looking for that 6'7" to 6'9"ish wing guy.... Signing Rudy and Marco (who is older) should help with our length though.

I think we will take Covington. I just think it's going to take more with that package. One of Fultz or Zhaire Smith. 

My ideal package from the get go was Saric, Fultz, Covington and a draft pick. If the Spurs like Zhaire Smith more, I'm cool with that. 

I know we disagree on Covington. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think we will take Covington. I just think it's going to take more with that package. One of Fultz or Zhaire Smith. 

My ideal package from the get go was Saric, Fultz, Covington and a draft pick. If the Spurs like Zhaire Smith more, I'm cool with that. 

I know we disagree on Covington. 

Covington may have to be added for accounting purposes.  I've always said that, I simply don't think he's a foundational piece to the trade..... he's a salary match.  He's never been a target of the trade IMO, and Philly may not want to take on 7-8 million and I also want to dump Patty on them, which I doubt they take.  I also don't know if the Spurs consider Smith and Walker duplicate tools especially if you get Fultz added.  They're all 6'4" to 6'6" types who are more projection than anything else, but Fultz has more PG skills than the other two.  I think he fits better b/c none of them are great shooters although Walker could project to be....

But if Lebron tells Philly he'll sign there if the Sixers get Kawhi, then I shoot for the stars and ask for Simmons...... Tell Klutch to make it happen.   lol.  doubt it works.

Simmons is just about everything I want in a player. As was Kawhi. So it’s a no-brainer I’d accept him and any other parts we could pry loose from Philly. Covington is a nice bench guy, though I’d like him better at age 24 than 27. 

While I realize we desperately need talent period, we really do need size to go with it. Fultz has obvious talent but doesn’t seem a sure thing just yet. Especially with Dejounte  already in training. If I felt sure Fultz could replace Green I’d like him better on the Spurs.

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is also a good point. 

While true, I'm going to assume the Sixers will make some type of backup plan for this and as always, I think the Sixers feel they can keep Kawhi onboard, much like OKC kept Paul George.... We're not trading Kawhi as a rental now.

15 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Also, what's the word going around about Tony.  He knows we can go over the Cap to sign him, how much  is he gonna get?  Or will some team give him full MLE for 4 years? 

Most of the rumors I've read make it sound like we're moving on. 

I wish Manu would retire now. Last season was very good for him, as far as playing at a high level and avoiding injuries. Now is the time to announce retirement, retire his number, get standing ovation, forever be one of the most beloved spurs, maybe number 1 for some people. 

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

This means a bidding way between LA and Philly?  Lakers can no longer roll the dice and wait until next year.  

Possibly the Celtics although they'll probably be there to raise the price.... Clippers are hanging around like the fat girl at a sorority house hoping we're drunk enough to go beer goggling....

The Lakers already missed on Paul George and I'm hoping they strike out on LeBron and Kawhi as well. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the Lakers flounder at the bottom of the NBA and hope they remain there. All the LA bandwagon fans are riding the GS bandwagon. Perhaps they can lure Kobe out of retirement?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

He’s gonna get shredded with boos

It's going to take thirty minutes to clean all the crap that will be thrown onto the floor. KL may want to be on the IR for any game at SA.  Dude gets butt hurt easily as it is.

• Like 1