JJ Watt gives one of the all-time great answers to a post game question

shadow_operative

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would like to know whether Watt is calling out other players to their face. I don’t mean in a team meeting but pulling someone aside and telling him, he needs to commit more. Any employee can stand up at a company meeting and say nameless people need to work harder. That costs nothing and allows you to pat yourself on the back.

and until I hear Watt publicly call out a coach, gm or owner for mistakes, his words ring a bit hollow for me. The Texans don’t have 4 wins because some players that don’t give 100%. Or as others have pointed out, why did the team sign those players?

As an aside, I imagine there are plenty of obese, white people sitting on their strained recliner, posting supportive comments about JJs speech on social media. 

https://clutchpoints.com/texans-rumors-jj-watt-calling-out-bill-obrien-in-heated-exchange-led-to-player-revolt/

Watt called out Bill O’Brien’s coaching ability/personnel decisions in practice in front of his teammates which led to a team revolt and got BoB fired.  As an aside, I imagine JJ called out players in-house, but didn’t get the desired results.  Perhaps, public scorn will translate into players getting their shit together.  Perhaps, those players in question were BoB’s guys and need to go.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I agree with you on this but isn't every sports franchise ever created from thin air? 

Right. The Oilers left Houston when I was in college, so the Texans never did it for me because they began when I was an adult. I don't really care about them one way or another. 

For people born anytime after the late-90s...the Texans are no different than any other pro team. 

Not trading Watt at the trade deadline was a tremendous mistake. I believe the Texans could have saved $20-25 million against the cap next season if they made this move. This was well known, public information that the media wrote/talked about regularly before the deadline. If Cal McNair reads the newspaper, he would have been aware of this. 
The Texans would have also received a better package of picks if they traded Watt. A 2021 second and a future second feels right. But hey they swapped picks with the Cardinals in the second round for Hopkins, so it could have been much worse. Watt's trade value decreases significantly if they trade him after the season. 
I'm sure Cal balked at trading Harvey Relief Superhero because of the perceived PR hit that wasn't really out there.
Yep, I got bored yesterday and looked at cap situation for Texans. Not trading Watt was hugh mistake. Now they probably have to release him for nothing. Zero dead money. With cap estimated at 175 next year Texans are already over by 17 and Watts cap is 17.5. Tunsil accounts for 10% of cap for Texans, Watson is a bargain next year, last year of rookie deal. Lots of vets gone next year, think they will be setup for #1 overall in 2022.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Right. The Oilers left Houston when I was in college, so the Texans never did it for me because they began when I was an adult. I don't really care about them one way or another. 

For people born anytime after the late-90s...the Texans are no different than any other pro team. 

Same. I tried to get into the Texans. Didn't take. Kinda like trying to adopt a European soccer team as an adult. Yeah, you can say you're a fan, you can buy the shit, and you can watch the games, but it all seems so forced.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Should the Texans trade arguably the greatest player in their franchise history and then deal with fan and media fall out?

Yes. They badly need the draft capital and can recoup a bit of that while doing right by Watt and giving him an extra year to chase a ring.

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I agree with you on this but isn't every sports franchise ever created from thin air? They all started from nothing and grew. Houston was always going to get another team after moving to Tennessee. Baltimore Ravens were the same way in the 90s and now they are well established and have history. Both franchises moved away and then came back to that city under a new mascot and team. Texans just have not won anything so there is no real history there yet. Where the Ravens have won 2 Super Bowls. But they have been around 20 years or close to it now. Had they won, it would be a little different story. And I know the Oilers hold a place in all of Houston's football fans heart but they never won, either. Both teams never could get past the divisional round. I get that there was more of an identity with the Oilers. They seemed more unique from their logo to their colors to the stadium. Texans are pretty generic from their colors, name and stadium.

The Texans never have had one of the greatest dynasties in sports, and best team defenses in the history of football holding them back in the form of the Pittsburgh Steelers.  The Texans just do a lot of meh to shittastic things to find a way to underperform.

Disagree upthread with the shots at Texan fan culture.  It is indeed special, and I am NOT a Texans fan.  The gameday experience and what they have done to support a middling, at best, franchise says something.

Also, I get where Zeus is coming from with Andre.  He was a badass among badasses, even though his QBs were dogshit.  Johnson deserved so much more fore his production, leadership, and commitment to the franchise.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:27 AM, MirrOlure said:

Great speech, but serious question...

Why is there anyone that exists who fits his description? This franchise was made up out of thin air, plays in an overgrown and stale Erector set of a stadium, has zero history or “culture” and is, and has been from day 1, nothing more than a space filler in a market that the NFL needs.

If anyone out there actually cares enough about this fictional entity to the point of suffering, that’s on them for being naive, gullible, and, well....stupid.

Take out the zero history and culture part and you've just described the Cowboys to a tee. And that history was a decade before I arrived in the US 18 years ago so not much to hang your hat on now. 

• Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don't understand why the league didn't have a rule where if a franchise moves the name and branding stay with the city. If they could just be the Oilers with the same look it would have brought many older fans back. I guess the owner that moved the Browns left the name behind but the Oilers one didn't?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

I don't understand why the league didn't have a rule where if a franchise moves the name and branding stay with the city. If they could just be the Oilers with the same look it would have brought many older fans back. I guess the owner that moved the Browns left the name behind but the Oilers one didn't?

Because they think we're just commodities and we grow on trees. Who cares if diehards stop watching, we can replace them 1:1 or even 2:1 with casual fans!

I'm jealous of the Browns and (likely) the Supersonics when Seattle gets an NBA expansion team. Your suggestion is precisely how it should work, unless the NFL and its franchises want to start paying for the infrastructure their business requires (i.e., stadiums). 

11 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Man, I wish. 

Per Wikipedia (anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information):

After threats of legal action from the city of Cleveland and fans, a compromise was reached in early 1996 that allowed Modell to establish the Baltimore Ravens as a new franchise while retaining the contracts of all Browns personnel. The Browns' intellectual property, including team name, logos, training facility, and history, were kept in trust and the franchise was regarded by the NFL as suspended, with a new team to be established by 1999 either by expansion or relocation.

Random person: gee that Texans organization, you know the one who let Jack Easterby game of thrones his way into a GM position, yeah they seem like they don't know what they're doing and they are wasting a seriously talented QB in Watson.

Texans fans: you're just a salty Cowboys fan!

Here's a little tip, if you have to compare yourselves to the Cowboys to feel better, you're probably a shitshow.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...