The 2021 Tampa Bay Rays thread

shadow_operative

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm guessing that several former league champions would beg to differ. remember, the first time i won this league was on the back of -no joke- Fernando Rodney. you'd be surprised what a couple of great closers do for your whip and k/bb, which obviously isn't to mention their saves and wins, nor their pension to go a month or two without giving up a run. hell i dominated all of you (save fawesome) last year on the backs of Hader and Devin. how many players in all of fantasy baseball are absolute money? not many. elite closers are.

relatedly, Liam Hendriks entered the game tonight with the bases loaded and zero outs vs the Cardinals. he came in and k'd the side in order, including the impossible-to-strike-out Tommy Edman, for the save. Liam, and Hader, and Jazz, and The Xandy Man, amd Abreu, and Walsh, and Tapia, and Lamet, et al, are all available. i'm currently in talks with multiple teams and am definitely going to make at least one trade in the next 24-48 hours. if you want one of my players then send me an offer, because it's going down sooner rather than later. let's get it on!

And this is incredibly false. Fernando Rodney did not win you a title.

Derka is pushing a narrative to unload his closers on you. Don’t buy into it. 

3 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

And this is incredibly false. Fernando Rodney did not win you a title.

Derka is pushing a narrative to unload his closers on you. Don’t buy into it. 

Rodney in 2012:

76 G, 74.2 IP, 43 H, 15 BB, 5 ER, 76 K, 48 sv, 5.07 k/bb, 0.60 era, 0.77 whip 

five ER the entire season. 

Rodney in 2012:
76 G, 74.2 IP, 43 H, 15 BB, 5 ER, 76 K, 48 sv, 5.07 k/bb, 0.60 era, 0.77 whip 
five ER the entire season. 
Wasn't in this league but remember that season. Just looked it up and yeah, his ERA+ was an obscene 641.

Low key one of the greatest RP seasons in recent memory. Only Gagne and Britton come to mind as better (there might be others).

Just now, APMP said:

Wasn't in this league but remember that season. Just looked it up and yeah, his ERA+ was an obscene 641.

Low key one of the greatest RP seasons in recent memory. Only Gagne and Britton come to mind as better (there might be others).

Kyle Farnsworth started the season as TB's closer and Rodney went undrafted. as a Cubs fan i hated Farnsworth. he threw 100 mph back when that wasn't the norm, but he couldn't locate his fastball and was always getting shelled. he was better at fighting than he was at pitching. meanwhile, Rodney was my boy after i'd seen him shine in the WBC a year or two prior. when Farnsworth went down like 2 days into the season i jumped all over Rodney. as much as i loved him, there was no way that i would have foreseen the season he would end up having. just a crazy dominant year for a career journeyman.

closers are the only position that completely own one category.  you can play it aggressively or you can punt, but no other position has an attachment to a category, with the possible exception of a dee gordon type, and those don't really exist anymore.

a power hitter can steal a base and a speedster can drive in runs, but no starter is picking up the occasional save.

21 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

Just dug into these trades today. So you guys think it’s a good idea to trade freeman and Soto to the guy in first place. 

Derka please explain your logic. 

at the end of the day it's really simple: HG is down to clown. i know that i'm the one with the reputation for making a million trade offers/trades every year, but historically HG is involved in more trades than anyone else besides me. he participates in the process. that wasn't the first offer i sent him, and i didn't accept his counter offer either. HG rejects 9.5/10 offers from me just like everyone else. the difference is he keeps the trade talks going a lot longer than most people here, who usually never send a counter offer, pm, etc. 

as for the players involved, like i said up thread, i crushed the first three picks of my draft: Juan, Xander, and Abreu. then, for reasons unknown, i took Hader at 43 over Vladdy. i'd probably be top 3 in the league right now if i had just done the obvious/planned move. but i didn't. i took a reliever in the 5th round, panicked, scrapped all of my pre draft plans, drafted another closer super early, jumped 5 rounds for Devin Williams, and ended up with a terrible team with a really shitty offense. i'm guessing i'm bottom 2 or 3 in every category besides steals. 

so, with my rudderless team i wanted to turn Juan Soto into 3 or 4 starting players, and that's what i did. i also used Posey, whom i'd acquired from the trade, to then make another trade which got me Ryu (super solid) and Luis Castillo (lotto ticket). my pitching staff now >>>> my staff a week or two ago, before i traded Soto. I really like my staff now. it's not elite, but it's going to be competitive every week.

Since then i've been trying get my offense in shape, particularly at 3B. i was in trade talks with a few teams but nothing came of it. i added Ke'Bryan today, but he won't be back for another couple of weeks, so i'd like to make another move. the two areas where i have a surplus:

1B: Abreu, Walsh, Hosmer (let it be known that i'm a big believer in Walsh, and his OF eligibility makes him even more valuable. i've been pricing him as such)

SS: The Xandy Man, and last year's fantasy MVP Adalberto Mondesi.

i'm always open to trading any of my players, but those two positions are where i have some excess talent. if anyone wants to make a move then holler at your boy. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

All stats are from this past week. Name these players:

Player A) 6 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 5 K, 0 W, 0 SV

Player B) 4 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 8 K, 0 W, 4 SV

Bauer and someone else that doesn’t have the name Bauer does. 

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

I’ll take players that Derka is peddling for $800 Alex. 

you'll take the facts that derka is spitting for free, and you'll like it. player A is Gerrit Cole, player B is Liam Hendriks. tell me again about how relievers are worthless.

btw, just for fun, if you're planning on arguing that Cole only had a one-start week (which he does most weeks), even if you add in his previous start vs Hendriks's stats from the last week alone, it still comes out like this:

Liam Hendriks- 4 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 8 K, 4 SV

Gerrit Cole: 13 IP, 10 H, 4 BB, 1 ER, 12 K

so please, continue schooling all of us on how RP's don't matter. 

Edited by shadow_operative

those pitching numbers speak for themselves. Hendriks out-performed Cole this week and it's wasn't particularly close. my shitty record is due to my shitty hitting. like i said, i imagine i'm bottom 2-3 in league in 5/6 offensive categories. and like i said, my pitching staff wasn't really any good until the last week or two. my RP has been my one bright spot.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

just for everyone's edification:

Jazz Chisholm has dealt with some early season injuries, but the following are still statements of fact:

1)he was the no.1 2B in fantasy baseball when he got hurt 

and 

2)despite this, his production, when extrapolated for a season in which he plays 150 games, comes out to 25 HR and 50 SB. 

again, just fyi.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

just for everyone's edification:

Jazz Chisholm has dealt with some early season injuries, but the following are still statements of fact:

1)he was the no.1 2B in fantasy baseball when he got hurt 

and 

2)despite this, his production, when extrapolated for a season in which he plays 150 games, comes out to 25 HR and 50 SB. 

again, just fyi.

He’s a good player. 

yeah, so, it turns out that after a few recent trades, my pitching staff is pretty fucking loaded. however, i find myself short one OF. if you have a surplus at OF and are interested in acquiring some pitching, you know who to holler at.

Trevor Bauer

Dinelson Lamet

Julio Urias 

Hyun Jin Ryu

Blake Snell

Zac Plesac

German Marquez

Danny Duffy 

Adbert Alzolay

Luis Castillo

Josh Hader

Liam Hendriks

Jordan Romano

absolutely nobody in this league even comes close to having the pitching depth that i have. my pitching depth >>>>>> everyone else by a country mile. put it together folks: i have WAY too many good/great/potentially great SP's, and not enough OF to fill out a starting lineup. ipso facto, i am 100% down to "lose" a trade, player for player, so long as it improves my offense. i have 10 starting pitchers. i cannot play them all. i have two elite/one really good closer(s) who all pitch for good teams. if you want to add two good-great pitchers to your team for the cost of one good-great OF, then jump to the front of the line and come make a trade with me before one of your direct opponents acquires Bauer and Hader for a single OF.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, so, it turns out that after a few recent trades, my pitching staff is pretty fucking loaded. however, i find myself short one OF. if you have a surplus at OF and are interested in acquiring some pitching, you know who to holler at.

Trevor Bauer

Dinelson Lamet

Julio Urias 

Hyun Jin Ryu

Blake Snell

Zac Plesac

German Marquez

Danny Duffy 

Adbert Alzolay

Luis Castillo

Josh Hader

Liam Hendriks

Jordan Romano

absolutely nobody in this league even comes close to having the pitching depth that i have. my pitching depth >>>>>> everyone else by a country mile. put it together folks: i have WAY too many good/great/potentially great SP's, and not enough OF to fill out a starting lineup. ipso facto, i am 100% down to "lose" a trade, player for player, so long as it improves my offense. i have 10 starting pitchers. i cannot play them all. i have two elite/one really good closer(s) who all pitch for good teams. if you want to add two good-great pitchers to your team for the cost of one good-great OF, then jump to the front of the line and come make a trade with me before one of your direct opponents acquires Bauer and Hader for a single OF.

i want trevor bauer.  make me whatever trade offer you want that results in my landing bauer.