Texas @ Oklahoma State Series Thread

Horny Bull

4 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Where is our hitting today? Nobly 3 hits thru 5.

As I stated last night, it wasn't there yesterday, either. Texas hit .148 for the doubleheader (9 of 61). Fortunately, four of those hits went yard.

A series win is always nice, but the offense hasn't been great. Way too many strikeouts and passive plate appearances.

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

As I stated last night, it wasn't there yesterday, either. Texas hit .148 for the doubleheader (9 of 61). Fortunately, four of those hits went yard.

A series win is always nice, but the offense hasn't been great. Way too many strikeouts and passive plate appearances.

Which is why batting average is pretty meaningless. Fortune didn't make the balls leave the park. crushing them did.

8 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Which is why batting average is pretty meaningless. Fortune didn't make the balls leave the park. crushing them did.

Agreed, but I do think Braff's point stands. No sense playing the "what if" game - a series win is a series win. But it was very much still with below average offense. Clutch hitting behind excellent pitching got it done, but we've gotta be better at the plate to consistently win against top teams. 

Edited by Spaceman_Spiff
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, zlavydra said:

Batting average isn't meaningless. It's absurd to even say that in jest.

Our boys did crush the ball yesterday, but you can't rely on that, and certainly not at a 44 percent (4 out of 9 hits) clip.

We're all happy with the series win, but our 'Horns did not hit well this weekend. That's not the same as saying the sky is falling. It's just a concern, my dude.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Agreed, but I do think Braff's point stands. No sense playing the "what if" game - a series win is a series win. But it was very much still with below average offense. Clutch hitting behind excellent pitching got it done, but we've gotta be better at the plate to consistently win against top teams. 

How "stable" or repeatable is clutch hitting?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

How "stable" or repeatable is clutch hitting?

Not 100% sure how you'd evaluate it, but I think you'd expect to score ~2 runs per HR based on run expectancy, so I don't think we got "lucky" with how many we scored on the bombs. We had ~15 base runners over 18 innings, so ~85% chance there's someone on base when you go yard. 3/4 of of our home runs had someone on - feels about right. We're also on pace for 1 HR/game, so we had 2x as many as you'd expect given our power profile. 

Whatever, point is, they got it done to win the series but they need to hit more consistently and strike out less all else equal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1