2018 Texas Softball

texasstrong12

3 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I believe Walton was offered the job, and notified CDC last night that he would be staying at Florida. On to the next group.....You will know who the next person offered is, when they also sign a long lucrative contract at their current school. 😂

He signed a ten year deal at UF.  Not sure if he had a Texas offer or not.

He signed the 10 year deal the morning after Texas posted the job. There is no doubt that there were conversations with Texas. How far his agent took them, before Florida ponied up, is anyone's guess. I am actually shocked that Florida went 10 years on the contract. More than likely that was their way of making the money even out over the long term. Walton has three 11 year olds verbally committed to the Gators, at least now he will actually be there to coach them.

My biggest concern now, is with the big fish out of the pond, will CDC panic and simply go after a big time name, instead of a big time coach.

Two players are no longer on A&M's roster.  These would be good pickups for the new Texas coach, especially Show, with the departures of Erica and Paige. Texas could use another senior pitcher to compliment Bollinger.  Milligan would be a good top of the order, but the Texas OF is young and crowded.

Samantha Show - 2016 All-Freshman Team

2018:  2.24 ERA in 103.1 IP; 12-5 record; 75 K to 39 walks and 9 HR; .236 BAA
.290 BA in 107 ABs; 5 doubles, 1 triple, 4 HR, 25 RBI, 12 BB, .467 slugging and .361 OBP

2017: 2.20 ERA in 137.8 IP; 19-7 record; 119 K to 65 walks and 7 HR; .219 BAA

2016: 3.67 ERA in 202 IP; 25-10 record; 172 K to 112 BB and 25 HR; .270 BAA

Keeli Milligan - 2017 All-SEC 2nd Team; All-Freshman;  NFCA Top 10 Freshman of the Year Finalist

2018: .307 BA in 163 ABs; 1 double, 3 triples, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 26 BB; .368 slugging and .400 OBP

2017: .319 BA in 145 ABs: 3 doubles, 1 triple, 9 RBI, 21 BB, .354 slugging and .446 OBP

Looking at the roster:

Departures - Wright (P), Paige von Sprecken (P), Leahy (C/UTL), Clark (P)

Seniors - Bollinger (P), Alcozer (OF), Hayer (OF), Hathaway (OF/C)**, Schick (IF)

Juniors - Washington (OF), DeMargosian (OF), Ellsworth (C), Schattle (IF), Slack (IF)

Sophomores - Tedder (IF), Adams (P), Jefferson (OF), Romero (P)

Freshman - Shealyn O'Leary (P), McKenzie Parker (IF)

We graduate 4 but only bring in 2 new recruits.
*Hathaway may end up eligible for another season with a medical RS, only appearing in 1 game in 2018

New coach needs to go out and find a catcher - Hathaway's constant injuries do not make her a good backup for Ellsworth and now Leahy is gone. I mention Show as a potential transfer because we really need pitching.  1 senior pitcher, 2 sophomores who only combined for 21.1 IP last season, and 1 freshman.  Show's 442 career IP would be a huge boost to this team who is only returning 35% of its innings pitched.

We return our top 2 hitters (Jefferson and Washington) and our top 2 HR hitters (Ellsworth and Alcozer - 5 each). We were such a miserable power team last year. OU's FOY hit 5 more HRs (30) than our entire team combined.

Edited by Js1

I joked in an earlier thread the maybe Show would transfer to Texas due to her lack of PT in the SR against Florida.   This is reminiscent of the Rachel Fox transfer. 

And also as someone astutely stated in an earlier thread, it is important to select a coach soon due to transfers and recruiting.

Edited by torre

Package deal....Michael/ Stefni Lotief-Louisiana Lafayette.

Stefni was the head coach until they decided to switch positions so she could spend more time with her kids. I believe she had heart attack last year, so i am not sure how involved she is anymore. She took her team to 2 cws. Not sure they would leave the school though. Its their alma mater.

Yrs coaching=7/9

Wins=351/452

Loses=87/110

Pct=.801/.804

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

It would likely never happen based on Lotief being fired at ULL. He's a hell of a coach though. I can't really remember what happened at ULL that lead to his firing. 

Edit: Here's an ESPN article on Lotief and allegations made at ULL. 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/21257998/louisiana-lafayette-ragin-cajuns-fire-michael-lotief-softball-coach

Edited by texasstrong12

Didn't Stefni Loteif have a massive heart attack like 7 months ago?

I just looked it up. She had a heart attack, then had another one while in surgery. 2 heart attacks in roughly 7 hours.

Michael had battled throat cancer for 30 years.

Also, CDC is not going to hire someone who was fired for "violent, vulgar language and verbal and physical assault, creating a hostile learning and working environment." Whether that's truly why they fired him or because he wanted more money for his department and made demands, it's not a good look for a first year AD like CDC.

Hell, it took Rittman 3 years to get a job after similar allegations at Stanford. And that was AFTER he rehabbed himself on the bench at Kansas and USA softball. And he won't even coach his first game until 2020 when the Clemson program starts up.

Edited by Js1

If he wants to rehab his image, I'm fine with someone hiring him as an assistant coach. The man can teach young women how to hit a softball, that's for damn sure.

Edited by Js1

At this point, all we know is Walton is out.

I guess we can cross his name off that potentially $750-$950k offer sheet and just write in MIKE WHITE and fly it over to Oregon.  The thing with White is he's potentially going to have the country's best pitching staff the next 2 seasons. Hard to give that up.  But the Ducks are taking a hit to graduation of their offensive production.

Kirk Walker is also a former head coach but he's at his alma mater now.  If he has aspirations of getting back into coaching, he's well experienced.

On staff with UCLA from 84-94 when the Bruins won 6 titles. Back at UCLA now.

17 years at Oregon State - 10 postseasons and the Beaver's first WCWS trip. And let me tell you, Oregon State is a shit program.  He has HALF of Oregon State's program wins and they've been a program since 1981.  Since he left, their best record was 30-20-1.  Oregon State has always been a softball afterthought, competing against the Ducks, Washington, Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State and Oregon not being a very fertile recruiting ground.

20 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I believe Walton was offered the job, and notified CDC last night that he would be staying at Florida. On to the next group.....You will know who the next person offered is, when they also sign a long lucrative contract at their current school. 😂

So....you're saying CDC struck out?

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Will this be CDC's first head coaching hire at UT? My memory is aging and failing me

Yes.

CDC was hired 12/9/2017 so we haven't had a coaching hire yet, as the spring athletic calendar is now over and we had no fall openings.  He has, however, fired 2 coaches already (Mario in February and Clark in May).

7 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So....you're saying CDC struck out?

He very well might have. And it won't be the first time. We also struck out, what, 4 or 5 times, hiring a coach for one of the top 3 baseball programs in NCAA history.  People get comfortable, people don't want to deal with UT's politics, or the spotlight, or following a Texas legend, etc.  Texas is a hard place to coach at.

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Sure would appear that Plonsky is now 4th in command. Maybe lower than that even

4 minutes ago, RowdyVic said:

Thoughts on kate drohan..northwestern? 8 years coaching. 309W 134L .697% 1cws appearance

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

What are you talking about? Edit your post. EIGHTEEN YEARS!  Love her and her twin sister. But I can't imagine them moving from Northwestern. New Great Athletic facility. Incredibly supportive AD. Has access to total feeder programs with Illinois teams and Beverly Bandits. Weird how her team performs at the same level as Connie Clarks team yet they can keep their jobs. Drohan doesn't win her conference. Doesn't make it to the WCWS. Highly academic school..like UT.   I agree with whomever said Texas is a tough place to coach.

33 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

My guess is the next group of candidates includes Mike White, Pat Murphy, Lonnie Alameda, and possibly Courtney Deifel. Out of that group, give me Deifel or Mike White.

Think twice about what your wish for...Do your own research. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/05/27/once-proud-stanford-softball-program-brought-to-its-knees/

“We had heard that Mike White was sort of an instigator or played a very major role in starting the tidal wave,” Winter said.

White’s daughter was on Stanford’s 2014 team and left the squad midseason, seeking what is called a medical retirement. That designation would allow her to retain her scholarship without playing. Apparently that designation was not being granted and that brought the Oregon coach into the fray. 

White did not return requests to be interviewed.

If anyone providing recommendations to Del Conte remembers the 2012 Super Regional against Oregon at McCombs,  Mike White will not be the guy.  I'm looking at you Plonsky.

Not because Oregon won,  but because of White's conduct.   Continuously arguing calls and calling time very excessively to disrupt Blair Luna, calling Luna's pitches to the batter from 3rd base coaching box,  not controlling his team and staff (an assistant coach and player were ejected from the game for the player throwing a forearm to Mandy Ogle's head and the assistant arguing)  and permitting a very hostile attitude/environment.  Actually,  the umpires lost control the game which was their fault.     Softball is not played that way.  This was game 2 which we lost 5-4 in 8 innings.

tl;dr    Mike White does not have the ethics or integrity to coach at The University of Texas.

7 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Midwesthorn - at least if you’re going to be “that guy” try and tell the whole story.

You are right and I apologize if this is fake news from four years ago.  You be right.  I don't know the "whole story". How would I???? I do not intend to be "that guy"...and I will be terribly disappointed if Mercury News misrepresented this story. I researched this 3  years ago and believed it to be true.  Guess you can't believe what you read on the internet....duh.  

Do you know the whole story and can you share?

IMO Mike White is not a Texas Hook'em kind of guy. So lets move on to the next candidate...

Yeah I remember that super regional with the pitch calling. 

I also recall a costly error by our SS led to that game 2 loss. We also had overworked Luna because we lost game 1 of our regional to Northwestern on a foul-ball-but-was-actually-a-HR-but-called-foul by Hoagland. 

Still Team Lawson, party of 1 over here. 

My reasons for not including Lawson are more personal than they should be. Her and her staff did my daughters teammate very wrong during the recruiting process. Had the kid committed for about 2 years and then pulled the offer at the last minute when something better came along. Left a good, loyal kid hung out to dry.

Mike White is a really good coach, no one will ever accuse him of being a really nice guy.

That coach at Stanford that he helped get shown the door, is one of the top coaches in the country. He would have been 1 and 1A with Walton for me, but I didn’t list coach Rittman because I think there is zero chance he leaves Clemson before coaching his 1st game with them.

Gotcha, it's just personal. Not really anything against her as a coach. Unfortunately, that's the recruiting game. It sucks and its gross, but it's cutthroat out there.

White is a dick. But he's a dick with 434 wins in 9 seasons (average of 48 wins per season) with 5 PAC 12 championships in the past 6 years, 9 straight super regionals and 5 WCWS trips in those 9 seasons and 2 trips to the national semifinals (6-10 WCWS record is pretty meh though. including 9 games scoring 2 runs or less).

I don't get the Rittman love. 18 years at Stanford and only 5 supers and 2 WCWS trips - at the time he resigned, they hadn't been in 10 years.  Clark has 5 OKC trips and way more recent than 2004.

Edited by Js1

Rittman, like White, can be very abrasive. He is a great coach, but Dtanford is a very difficult place to recruit to, in today’s environment. Stanford cannot officially offer a kid until they are accepted....this makes softball pretty tough, when people are verbally committed at 12 years old

I don't know if I necessarily buy that. Stanford is Stanford, they'll commit to the school until they are accepted.  Doesn't affect them in other sports, winning titles this decade in volleyball, swimming, tennis and soccer and golf.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

White is a dick. But he's a dick with 434 wins in 9 seasons (average of 48 wins per season) with 5 PAC 12 championships in the past 6 years, 9 straight super regionals and 5 WCWS trips in those 9 seasons and 2 trips to the national semifinals (6-10 WCWS record is pretty meh though. including 9 games scoring 2 runs or less).

Yeah, I don't care about White being a "dick". A lot of coaches are dicks. Most people would probably consider Augie a "dick" the way he yelled at players. 

If we wanted a coach that was nice and didn't create issues we could have just kept Clark. 

We are trying to hire a winner. As long as the coach isn't going full Briles, I really don't care if they are a "dick". 

Edited by texasstrong12

Augie was a dick. Herman makes players eat cold breakfast and whatever. Saban is a giant asshole. Tim Walton yelled at Barnhill on national TV in the OU game.

Picking pitches is both a dickish move by the coach (Earlywhine did it; White does it; Glasco used to do it as well when he was at UGA; I think Meyers at ASU did as well) and a lesson for the pitcher on how to hide your pitches better.  After that 2012 super regional, Luna changed her motion just a bit so she turned her body before she gripped the ball for her pitch to avoid it being picked up by the 3rd base coach. A lot of big-time pitchers had to learn to do just that- Luna, Jackie Traina, Chelsea Thomas to name a few. It's on you to adjust. 

Cat had like 2 different grips and still made batters look foolish because she could throw any pitch with those 2 grips. 

It's not against the rules, but it is unsportsmanlike.  Doesn't make it illegal.  You have about .25 seconds to react to a softball pitch, someone 60 feet away yelling "UP!" "DOWN!" "IN" "OUT" isn't going to make you better hitter.

It's far from a certainty that we are hiring Lotief but it would be interesting how people would react. 

It would be a home run hire based on coaching ability and it would certainly be a polarizing hire based on what happened at ULL. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I don't think I'd be very happy, honestly.

It would reek of "we struck out with everyone, so we ended up with Lotief" which was very reminiscent of Pierce.  While that has worked out (so far), I'd say the base of talent he was left by Augie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> what is being left by Clark with the exception of Bollinger, Jefferson, Washington, Hathaway and the potential of Chloe Romero as she was highly ranked.

Edited by Js1