Dallas Downtown - Post Covid

texasjacket

Will be in the Downtown area for several days? Any place in particular I should make sure I frequent? Would be nice to find a beer pub type place to enjoy a cold one and good burger after work. I have not been to the area in probably 5-6 years so it will all be new to me. 

5 hours ago, texasjacket said:

Will be in the Downtown area for several days? Any place in particular I should make sure I frequent? Would be nice to find a beer pub type place to enjoy a cold one and good burger after work. I have not been to the area in probably 5-6 years so it will all be new to me. 

Rodeo Goat and Meddlesome Moth are both good burger/beer options near downtown.  They're in the design district a mile or so northwest of downtown proper.

Ye Olde Scarlet Pumpernickel Tavern for beer

Pegasus Brewery has a little spot downtown. Lot’s of hotel bar options. 

Braindead Brewing is a quick walk over to the western edge of Deep Ellum. 

Farmer’s Market has a lot of options for booze. I’ve been meaning to check out the new AT&T discovery district. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Where are you living now? Where do you work? What are you interested in?

I’ve worked at the Crescent the last 12 years and McKinney Ave seems to get worse/more boring year after year. State-Thomas seems to have stagnated a lot as well.

Downtown seems to have a lot more going on than uptown the last couple years. And Dallas is finally trying to connect downtown with Deep Ellum. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I’ve worked at the Crescent the last 12 years and McKinney Ave seems to get worse/more boring year after year. State-Thomas seems to have stagnated a lot as well.

Downtown seems to have a lot more going on than uptown the last couple years. And Dallas is finally trying to connect downtown with Deep Ellum. 

Been living in Lufkin the past 4 years (wife's job).  We're not gonna be tied to East Texas anymore, so it's time to move on.  Phasing into semi-retirement, looking for something nice to downsize to in a fairly well-amentied urban environment.  A simpler life that we can lock up, leave behind, and travel more easily when needed or desired.  Less household maintenance responsibilities.  Being closer to DFW is more desirable, (we're only 80 miles from IAH right now but 200 from DFW), access to the Symphony, music clubs, shithole Metal bars, fun local joints from food trucks to fine dining, less driving, more walking, maybe cut down to one car.  

Umm....that's all i got for now.

30 minutes ago, After irth said:

Been living in Lufkin the past 4 years (wife's job).  We're not gonna be tied to East Texas anymore, so it's time to move on.  Phasing into semi-retirement, looking for something nice to downsize to in a fairly well-amentied urban environment.  A simpler life that we can lock up, leave behind, and travel more easily when needed or desired.  Less household maintenance responsibilities.  Being closer to DFW is more desirable, (we're only 80 miles from IAH right now but 200 from DFW), access to the Symphony, music clubs, shithole Metal bars, fun local joints from food trucks to fine dining, less driving, more walking, maybe cut down to one car.  

Umm....that's all i got for now.

What’s your budget and how much space do you need?

Ideally, at least 1500’.  Hopefully under $5k/mo all-in.

All depends on floor plans and amenities. Just the two of us, but want a 2/2. One bedroom and one spare room for an office. Not gonna bother with a guest room when downtown hotels abound. Two bathrooms is always nice. Definitely want an above-average kitchen. 

For your budget you should be able to find quite a bit but man downtown and uptown are wack as shit now. I work downtown next to the Chase building. Come to Addison and party with some low class hookers and decent blow I got you fam 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, After irth said:

Ideally, at least 1500’.  Hopefully under $5k/mo all-in.

Don't waste your money staying uptown or downtown. Check out like Lower Greenville or if you're feeling adventurous Bishop Arts. Or like Zep said check out the north "suburbs". There's way more bang for your buck elsewhere.

God damn I miss that place. Such a fantastic city. Y'all would be blown away moving from Lufkin. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Don't waste your money staying uptown or downtown. Check out like Lower Greenville or if you're feeling adventurous Bishop Arts. Or like Zep said check out the north "suburbs". There's way more bang for your buck elsewhere.

God damn I miss that place. Such a fantastic city. Y'all would be blown away moving from Lufkin. 

I will check out those neighborhoods. Thanks!  

If you don’t mind elaborating, what makes Bishop Arts “adventurous”?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, After irth said:

I will check out those neighborhoods. Thanks!  

If you don’t mind elaborating, what makes Bishop Arts “adventurous”?

Anything south of the river you'll want to be aware of your surroundings (and some places North of the river). Not sure about your life story but Dallas can get dangerous. Just be careful and act like an adult and you should be fine, though.

Add Old East Dallas to your search. A little rough in parts when I lived there but that was 5 years ago+. Mostly it's just... fun.

From what I know about you as a poster you like having a good time and getting out and about. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd take your budget and live somewhere badass in the surrounding area of downtown and uptown. Some of those key areas I've already suggested for you.

You could also check out Oak Lawn (gayborhood). Great area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, After irth said:

Low class hookers AND decent blow, Gracie?

Well, shit…take my money!  Sounds great!

Care to elaborate on those areas being “wack as shit”?

Wack as shit means it sucks and it’s really not a thing unless you are over 40 and I am almost there. Bishops arts and “west” west Moreland area has had a lot of gentrification going on in the past few years so good area but still close to my people. Old east Dallas is great but that is coming from me who grew up in pleasant grove, pickets are solid but a lot of meh. Addison and north Dallas area are still pretty solid besides farmers branch PD but I just Uber everywhere. If you want to be in Dallas I would go further out that that but Plano Frisco area has its bullshit suburb charm. 

I miss living in the M streets

Edited by Zepol87
  • Like 1

I lived in uptown like 15 years ago and it was amazing. Sad to hear it’s wack now. I mean I couldn’t imagine Addison being able to hold a candle to uptown back in the day.

Also since after irth is a big metal guy, deep Ellum had a bunch of grimey bars like anvil and July alley— are those still around? I feel like I heard deep ellum gentryfied from dead to busy and ghetto.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

That sounds like an interesting job. All the big time geopolitical players (like the Saudis and UAE leaders) I hear stay there and shut the whole thing down. I think Obama stayed there too in his one stay in Dallas if memory serves. I bet you get to see a lot of crazy stuff, eh?

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, HonkeyVape said:

I lived in uptown like 15 years ago and it was amazing. Sad to hear it’s wack now. I mean I couldn’t imagine Addison being able to hold a candle to uptown back in the day.

Also since after irth is a big metal guy, deep Ellum had a bunch of grimey bars like anvil and July alley— are those still around? I feel like I heard deep ellum gentryfied from dead to busy and ghetto.

Hey do us a favor and shut the fuck up.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Anything south of the river you'll want to be aware of your surroundings (and some places North of the river). Not sure about your life story but Dallas can get dangerous. Just be careful and act like an adult and you should be fine, though.

Add Old East Dallas to your search. A little rough in parts when I lived there but that was 5 years ago+. Mostly it's just... fun.

From what I know about you as a poster you like having a good time and getting out and about. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd take your budget and live somewhere badass in the surrounding area of downtown and uptown. Some of those key areas I've already suggested for you.

You could also check out Oak Lawn (gayborhood). Great area. 

just find some place within walking distance of the Lakewood Landing and you’ll be happy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

M streets/lower Greenville sounds like the play. On the lowest part lots of walkable stuff (at least relatively speaking on “lots”), but even has grocery stores with Trader Joe’s and sprouts. Henderson ave has lots of options and large retail development starting that will add more. I really loved that area, moved away 6 mos ago but see myself getting back there someday if I end up dfw for long haul. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You may enjoy living downtown. I wouldn't enjoy it. Lots of places down there these days to get an apartment. One Dallas Center, Gable Republic Tower, etc. Uptown died the day they closed Idle Rich Pub to put a Whole Foods. If you like the downtown area I'd just get something up along the DNT or 75 and drive or take transportation into downtown the few times a month you want to go out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Check out the Knox-Henderson area ...

https://www.visitdallas.com/neighborhoods/knox-henderson/

Uptown...

https://www.visitdallas.com/neighborhoods/uptown/

The Design District is coming alive.

If you want to go far north, check out Legacy West.

https://www.visitplano.com/guide-to-legacy-west-in-plano-tx/

Any area of town is what you make of it.  There will be douchenozzles and cool people everywhere.

I lived in the second to the top floor at the Mondrian for a number of years (Uptown). I loved the vibe.

Now, am very far North Dallas and love the atmosphere I have found here as well.

Life is what you make of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Check out the Knox-Henderson area ...

https://www.visitdallas.com/neighborhoods/knox-henderson/

Uptown...

The Design District is coming alive.

If you want to go far north, check out Legacy West.

https://www.visitplano.com/guide-to-legacy-west-in-plano-tx/

Any area of town is what you make of it.  There will be douchenozzles and cool people everywhere.

I lived in the second to the top floor at the Mondrian for a number of years (Uptown). I loved the vibe.

Now, am very far North Dallas and love the atmosphere I have found here as well.

Life is what you make of it.

Go east onto Henderson -- that area has lots of stuff and isn't as spendy as Uptown. Deep Ellum has gotten sketch after dark (again). I only venture down there at night when I'm headed to a show at The Factory. Lower Greenville and north toward Mockingbird is a great area as well. Once my oldest heads off to college in about a year we will start entertaining downsizing from over by Love Field to something in the M Streets/East Dallas area.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/11/2023 at 4:24 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

My buddy is opening a brewery near River Pig Saloon in the next year. So we all have that to look forward to. 

What’s his name?  Should I tell him “Dickbutt”?

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Haha 1

God bless all you lovable Surly assholes.  I truly appreciate the great responses and a few very helpful DMs received.  Gave me lots of stuff to research and consider.

Lotsa talk about sending me to the 'burbs.  Not quite what I'm wanting, but I am also not taking anyone's recommendations lightly.  Still focusing on Downtown for now.  Our #1 pick is The Statler.  Kinda hard to top for the amenities, overall.  But, thanks to you guys, I also have a much longer list of (seemingly) good options that I did not have before.  

Will be in Uptown for a long weekend next month.  Gonna wander around on foot, use some public transportation, check out a few other options in Uptown and Downtown, and also check out some of the surrounding neighborhoods you guys have recommended.  Maybe swill some hooch and hear some Jazz while there.  I fully expect it to be douchey, but wanna see it for myself.  

Grateful for the brain-trust here...just sayin...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, After irth said:

God bless all you lovable Surly assholes.  I truly appreciate the great responses and a few very helpful DMs received.  Gave me lots of stuff to research and consider.

Lotsa talk about sending me to the 'burbs.  Not quite what I'm wanting, but I am also not taking anyone's recommendations lightly.  Still focusing on Downtown for now.  Our #1 pick is The Statler.  Kinda hard to top for the amenities, overall.  But, thanks to you guys, I also have a much longer list of (seemingly) good options that I did not have before.  

Will be in Uptown for a long weekend next month.  Gonna wander around on foot, use some public transportation, check out a few other options in Uptown and Downtown, and also check out some of the surrounding neighborhoods you guys have recommended.  Maybe swill some hooch and hear some Jazz while there.  I fully expect it to be douchey, but wanna see it for myself.  

Grateful for the brain-trust here...just sayin...

I looked at the prices on the Statler long term leases after you mentioned them previously; seems like a helluva deal (especially compared to buying in a 7% interest rate world). Main Street Garden Park is a hidden gem across the street and Downtown just opened up Carpenter Park a few months ago which does a decent job connecting over to Deep Ellum. Relying on DART will disappoint you unless you have a lot more time than money. 

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Took a while for all the pieces to fall into place, but it looks like I will be a downtown resident soon.

Taking possession of a new apt on 5/1 at 1900 Pacific Residences (John Kirtland's place).  Cool people, great amenities, truly nice apt that is getting an all-new refurb right now.  

Things are moving fast.  Gotta figure out how/when to move and get my Lufkin house on the market.

On to the next chapter!  Looking forward to terrorizing the city soon...!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, After irth said:

Took a while for all the pieces to fall into place, but it looks like I will be a downtown resident soon.

Taking possession of a new apt on 5/1 at 1900 Pacific Residences (John Kirtland's place).  Cool people, great amenities, truly nice apt that is getting an all-new refurb right now.  

Things are moving fast.  Gotta figure out how/when to move and get my Lufkin house on the market.

On to the next chapter!  Looking forward to terrorizing the city soon...!

Good luck! Downtown still seems pretty sleepy to me but I'm only down there one or two days per week these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Good luck! Downtown still seems pretty sleepy to me but I'm only down there one or two days per week these days.

Don't forget that After Irth is moving from Lufkin!  Downtown Dallas will seem absolutely buzzy in comparison.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1