Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Tenn dropped their non-conf schedule and we are not actually on it.

We are in the Battle 4 Atlantis with them and of course, TBD on our SEC-Big 12 matchup opponent.  So two opportunities to see them, which may be why we didn't get explicitly scheduled.  Could be in The Bahamas.

It was our turn to host Tennessee in our scheduled meeting, but since we did travel to A&M for last year's SEC-Big 12, maybe we will just host Tennessee in that.   Tennessee did not participate last year. 

On 7/28/2022 at 11:17 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

The Clark Initiative may already be paying players more than this. 

On 7/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, TommysTinyTowels said:

I've never seen a report of how much money is going where, would be very interesting to know.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:27 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

That's because it's the largest individual deal directed at women's basketball. 

The Clark Collective was an initial $10 million commitment across all sports (so it may be more now). The way Texas is recruiting in the portal in women's basketball, volleyball, women's track and field tells me Texas is not behind in regards to NIL in these sports. 

The initiatives, CFC included, have been mostly focused on triage and it's not in anyone's interest as a fan for us to delve any further into it. The guys leading that are legit with putting their money where their mouth is. The ultimate goal is, across all sports, setting an NIL expectation for each program that is elite or flat out alone at the top on NIL.

That takes time, and specifically at Texas as you guys know, there is a shitload of money that will sit perfectly happy on the sidelines doing nothing and bitching about losses in the process. The major booster backing is waiting to be begged to help. Every sport is going to need a patron or two as well. This coming weekend will be a big deal for all of this. 

I don't want this to be read as negative, because it's more neutral. The goals from the people actually doing shit are in the right place but until someone like one of us achieves billionaire status, we need help from the billionaires who are currently long on opinions, talk, and being patrician, and short on showing up to actually drive things forward. The premise that NIL matters is still being discussed with some of these people for Christ's sake. 

Anyway, it's early. I have confidence Texas will get there and be elite for everything when we do.

• Hook 'Em 1

We are also not on Arizona's schedule either, I thought they owed us a game but I guess they got themselves out of it or pushed it off. 

So no Arizona and no confirmed game against Tennessee (yet) - 2 potential home games we thought for Moody.  I hope Stanford is returning a visit, because at the present, I don't know what marquee non-conf games we have lined up to open the season in the new arena.  UConn doesn't come until 2023-24.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! 

Primarily a post coach, per her BC bio

Played at Purdue, 13th overall pick in 2009 by the Sparks
Played 2 years with the Sparks, one with the Sky and one with the Mystics
Played internationally in Austria, France, Greece, Israel
7 years at Purdue
2 years at Wisconsin
1 season at Boston College

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Never seen this- is she eligible to play as soon as she enrolls?  

She won't play.  She's rehabbing an ACL injury.  She wasn't going to play her senior year at CP regardless, but now she gets an extra semester of Texas Athletics medical care and rehab.  Smart play, basically taking an early redshirt to get better medical care for her injury. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

So this is what we have so far for a schedule -

11/14 @ UConn
11/19-21 Battle 4 Atlantis (Marquette, Louisville/Gonzaga and one of Tenn/Rutgers/UCLA/SDSU from the other side of the bracket) 
11/27 Princeton
12/2 USF
12/18 USC (Dallas)
12/21 HBU
12/28 TAMU Commerce

Means we probably  have room to fill in another 1 or 2 games (the week of the 5th and the week of the 12th), as we started Big 12 play right after the New Year last year (Jan 2). 9 non-conf games with our 3 guaranteed matchups at Battle4Atlantis so far.  We played 11 non-conf last year, so that's why I think a couple midweek games in December will be added between USF and USC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

At least he waited for a seemly amount of time and tournament wins. 

It was obviously always going to be her. Whether the delay was getting the ducks in a row for nepotism purposes or whatever, as soon as an opening for her position went up, I think we all knew she was getting promoted. 

She’s learned at her dad’s side for years, she was a very good player at aggy and MSU, knows the players extremely well and has been intimately involved in every facet of the program since day 1.

She always had to get her start somewhere for her coaching career 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

It was obviously always going to be her. Whether the delay was getting the ducks in a row for nepotism purposes or whatever, as soon as an opening for her position went up, I think we all knew she was getting promoted. 

She’s learned at her dad’s side for years, she was a very good player at aggy and MSU, knows the players extremely well and has been intimately involved in every facet of the program since day 1.

She always had to get her start somewhere for her coaching career 

Yes, she earned the position, it wasn't a gift. Just had to get the rules right.

Massively getting ahead of things here, but I could see this possibly keeping our program in good hands for decades to come.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/19/2022 at 4:32 PM, Js1 said:

So this is what we have so far for a schedule -

11/14 @ UConn
11/19-21 Battle 4 Atlantis (Marquette, Louisville/Gonzaga and one of Tenn/Rutgers/UCLA/SDSU from the other side of the bracket) 
11/27 Princeton
12/2 USF 

12/11 Alabama State
12/18 USC (Dallas)
12/21 HBU
12/28 TAMU Commerce

Updated. Still likely one more midweek game between USF and Alabama State. It’s a tough non conf schedule, just a shitty home schedule. And opening at UConn is going to be tough, no tuneup game unless we play an exhibition 

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Updated. Still likely one more midweek game between USF and Alabama State. It’s a tough non conf schedule, just a shitty home schedule. And opening at UConn is going to be tough, no tuneup game unless we play an exhibition 

Didn't Vic say last year that he was having a difficult time finding teams to play Texas at home? Or am I mistaken. 

I believe I read it here. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Didn't Vic say last year that he was having a difficult time finding teams to play Texas at home? Or am I mistaken. 

I believe I read it here. 

Yes. Elliot has that issue too. The problem is fans get treated to a shitty home slate of games. Hard to generate excitement for Moody with Princeton, USF, Alabama State, Houston Christian and TAMU Commerce. 

We need Stanford and Tennessee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Applaud Vic for playing at a SWAC school, if that game is indeed on their campus.  Even if it’s not, it’s nice to see the team going on the road to play a HBCU.

I feel like they had a lot of fun playing Jackson State last year and they gave us a game (only a 14 point win).  

I love that we are giving them a return game as a thanks for coming.  *cough, Adia Barnes, you bitch* 

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

Applaud Vic for playing at a SWAC school, if that game is indeed on their campus.  Even if it’s not, it’s nice to see the team going on the road to play a HBCU.

The other two are in Austin, but southern and Alabama state are both hbcus aren’t they?  Asking more about asu, since su is one of the more well known.  

9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

That home non-conference slate is pretty dull. The mens basketball isn’t much better but at least they get Gonzaga in Austin. I thought we still did the SEC v Big12 challenge but I guess that’s no more 

I wonder if Beard is having the same issues as women's basketball and volleyball getting teams to play Texas at home?

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

That home non-conference slate is pretty dull. The mens basketball isn’t much better but at least they get Gonzaga in Austin. I thought we still did the SEC v Big12 challenge but I guess that’s no more 

Appears not to be a thing this year.  Will be interesting if they try to bring it back next year - both conferences will have 14 teams for one year and everyone can participate. 

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The other two are in Austin, but southern and Alabama state are both hbcus aren’t they?  Asking more about asu, since su is one of the more well known.  

We have an HBCU gauntlet there: Alabama State, Jackson State and Southern University

I wonder what game on the schedule will the 40 Acres Field Trip - probably Kansas or OU in January. 

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We have an HBCU gauntlet there: Alabama State, Jackson State and Southern University

I wonder what game on the schedule will the 40 Acres Field Trip - probably Kansas or OU in January. 

Have we ever had a 40 acres field trip game during conference play? It has been in November/December against a cupcake midmajor opponent as long as I can remember 

24 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Have we ever had a 40 acres field trip game during conference play? It has been in November/December against a cupcake midmajor opponent as long as I can remember 

It was OU one year.

https://calendar.utexas.edu/event/40_acres_field_trip_texas_womens_basketball_vs_oklahoma#.YzI3LRZOkWM

Jan 8 conference game 

Edited by Js1