Breaking apartment lease

Cypress, Texas

My stepfather passed away unexpectedly.  My mom will not be able to pay the $1900/month rent and is on the lease agreement along with my stepfather.  

I’ll be traveling there tomorrow to read over the lease agreement for clauses etc. and to move her out one way or another.

I’ve done some searching and found in some states where if a spouse dies and the remaining tenant is over 60 they’ll let you break the lease but I haven’t found anything for Texas.  What I did find was a bit vague.

Anybody here a tenant lawyer or familiar with situations like this that can advise?

Thanks

Used to be a Realtor, I would say one is on the hook for the duration of the lease under contract, Best to contact the person/company and see how they can work with you, Maybe just lose the deposit while they find a new renter, maybe no loss, Tell them they should be able to rent it for more.

Sorry for your loss.

Edited by William Wallace
  • Hook 'Em 1

If her name isn't on the lease, she should just be able to walk away though IMHO.  Although I don't know how that works, Sue Her Husbands estate?

Best to just talk with them, in this climate it should be rented quick, and they don't have a loss and will work with you.

Edited by William Wallace

1 minute ago, RPM said:

$1900 a month rent? WTeverlovinF?

Rents are staggering these days.

There was some survey or something that recently came out that an older, but well-maintained 2BR in a merely ok neighborhood (iow a very median rental) in the metropolitan counties in Texas is more than $1000/month.

The personal representative of your step-father's estate may be the best person to address the lease issues.  There was a law enacted recently allowing the right to vacate and avoid lease liability following a tenant's death.  There is a notice to be given by the personal representative.  The law is specific to a "sole" tenant, so it might not work in your situation.  Otherwise, it's just a process of negotiation with the apartment complex.

• Hook 'Em 2

Forget the lease language. Show up in person and negotiate with management. Explain the situation in a way where is makes it seem like you are helping them by:

1. Vacating the unit is a timely manner; 

2. Promising them that you will leave the unit empty, clean and damage free; and

3. Avoiding costly and time consuming eviction process.

Make it clear that you mom simply cannot afford to live there anymore. If they are convinced that your mom cannot pay, and is judgement proof, they will realize very quickly that is in THEIR best interest to have you mom vacate on friendly terms.

Bernard

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 4:57 PM, William Wallace said:

If her name isn't on the lease, she should just be able to walk away though IMHO.  Although I don't know how that works, Sue Her Husbands estate?

Best to just talk with them, in this climate it should be rented quick, and they don't have a loss and will work with you.

OP

On 7/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, Limp Brisket said:

Cypress, Texas

My stepfather passed away unexpectedly.  My mom will not be able to pay the $1900/month rent and is on the lease agreement along with my stepfather.  

I’ll be traveling there tomorrow to read over the lease agreement for clauses etc. and to move her out one way or another.

I’ve done some searching and found in some states where if a spouse dies and the remaining tenant is over 60 they’ll let you break the lease but I haven’t found anything for Texas.  What I did find was a bit vague.

Anybody here a tenant lawyer or familiar with situations like this that can advise?

Thanks

Reading = hard

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Not uncommon for Senior apartment complexes here in Central Texas.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I was going to say, the only way I can imagine an apartment in Cypress commanding $1,900/month is being a relatively new senior housing project. Otherwise that’s exorbitant for an apartment out there.
  • Like 1