2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

Mo Bamba conference numbers:

13.7 ppg, 10.9 reb, 3.4 oreb, 3.5 blk, 0.8 stl, 1.7 TO, 68% FT, 31% 3P, 55% FG

But according to cameltoe every single tall guy we have on our current roster could potentially be better. Come off of it. Just stop. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Bamba put up good numbers, especially with blocks and rebounding but he was far from a great college big. He was often out of position on both offense and defense and took plenty of poor shots etc.. Typical stuff from a freshman who's guaranteed to be a millionaire in a year's time--not so typical of hard-working guys who have been in the NCAA for 2/3 years.

He will be missed, sure. But he wasn't "all that" in his one freshman season here.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Go ahead and enlighten me as to which year Chris Mihm or Chirs Owens was better defensively than Mo Bamba. I’ll wait. Prince Ibeh’s play during conference his senior year is the only guy who comes close. Maybe if Ridley hadn’t gotten hurt he’d have a case from that year, but he did get hurt.

Most talented big, sure. 

Taking a one year player like Bamba over Lasalle Thompson who contributed for 3 years at Texas and played 15 years in the NBA is pretty much what you expect from Derka. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

•Shaka Smart is a great coach and has done a great job

•Tevin Mack sucks and Texas does not miss him, nor have we needed anyone with his skill set

•J’Covan Brown never showed any signs of character issues

•Dylan Osetkowski, Kamaka Hepa, Jaxson Hayes, and Royce Hamm ALL could end up being better than Bamba

•2018-19 Texas will be at least a top 3 team in the league next year, possibly better than KU who will start the season ranked #1 or #2 in the country

These are all real takes by cameltoe from the last two weeks alone. I’m not even joking a little bit when I say that he has to be trolling. 

Edited by Goo Punch

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Go ahead and enlighten me as to which year Chris Mihm or Chirs Owens was better defensively than Mo Bamba. I’ll wait. Prince Ibeh’s play during conference his senior year is the only guy who comes close. Maybe if Ridley hadn’t gotten hurt he’d have a case from that year, but he did get hurt.

I'd say Lamarcus Aldridge in the year he took us to the Elite 8 was probably a more efficient and overall more valuable post player to his team than freshman Bamba was last year.

But how does Bamba's season measure up against the history of every KU and Duke big in history? Was he better than Boozer? The KU thug twins? The fact is UT doesn't HAVE a history of elite bigs. Barnes was never able to recruit elite centers to Texas and this was a major problem. Saying Bamba was the best big in Texas history is like saying you have the biggest dick in a room full of white boys.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

•2018-19 Texas will be at least a top 3 team in the league next year, possibly better than KU who will start the season ranked #1 or #2 in the country

Nope. I said 2019 Texas will be better than 6 teams in the league, that doesn't make us top 3. If you're gonna quote me, at least get it right.

Edited by Cameltoe
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

PJ Tucker

• Like 1

And yes Derka, the combination of our current Bigs giving Texas more than one year will be a bigger contribution than Mo Bamba. That is not a crazy statement. 

Bamba was a very good defender but was hole offensively and will be in the NBA next year, not at Texas. Chris Owens and James Thomas both had bigger contributions to the program. 

20 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And yes Derka, the combination of our current Bigs giving Texas more than one year will be a bigger contribution than Mo Bamba. That is not a crazy statement. 

Bamba was a very good defender but was hole offensively and will be in the NBA next year, not at Texas. Chris Owens and James Thomas both had bigger contributions to the program. 

He didn’t say that all of our bigs combined would total more stats or impact than Mo Bamba, he said that every single one of them could exceed what Bamba did, which is asinine. None of them project to have a single season as impactful as Bamba’s, a season which he also mischatacterized in his post- Bamba was not Jarrett Allen, Bamba was good the entire year and even better in conference. Bamba was a NPOY finalist for Christ’s sake. It was an all-around completely ridiculous post, or what we’ve all come to expect from camel, the professional troll.

edit: just read your second paragraph- Bamba was “a hole” offensively? What team did you watch last year? Or are you too confusing him with Jarrett Allen and Jericho Sims? 

Edited by Goo Punch

Wake me up when a single player on our current roster has a year like this:

378262554de32b182c9cccc09b35d7d5.jpg

cbc610b9d38fa7aa74e8abf9f44e7d46.jpg

693db7f714405c7b63c58ae9f40609ff.jpg

10+ points in 23 games (total “hole”, right?)

8+ rebounds in 25 games 

3+ blocks in 23 games

That’s a historically good single season at UT, had by the nation’s no.2 recruit in an exceptional recruiting year. A season which ended with Mo Bamba as a NPOY finalist. I’m starting to think that half the people here have never watched Texas or its players ever play.

Edited by Goo Punch

Yeah, we’re going to keep going by the way,  because there is an alarming amount of people here who don’t seem to have any understanding of what actually happened last year. Mohamed Bamba was our best player last year- by a lot. Mohamed Bamba did everything he could for this program in the one year he was here. It was not Mohamed Bamba’s fault that our perimeter players could not even get him the ball or make a simple post entry pass the majority of the time. To hear some of you characterize it like he was just another one and done who did not leave his mark at Texas is ridiculous. He did everything we could have asked of him, and his coaches and teammates let him down, not the other way around around. This is not Jarrett Allen or Mike Williams or or Cory Joseph- Bamba had a great one year at Texas, and with better coaching and better play by his teammates he would have led us to bigger and better things.

Edited by Goo Punch

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

By an alarming amount of people you mean 1 person and if you're being liberal with that assessment maybe 2 people.

This ain’t the first instance of “Bamba wasn’t that great at Texas”, “Sims won’t be much of a drop off”, and “Bamba has no offensive game.” Not even close. People keep lumping him in with guys who left early without making a huge impact or living up to the hype- Avery Bradley, Myck Kabongo, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joesph, Jarrett Allen, etc. He keeps being referred to as “just another one and done who didn’t leave his mark at Texas”. No he wasn’t- he was everything he was supposed to be at Texas and arguably more, and it was his coach and teammates who weren’t on his level. The perception of Bamba amongst our fans is wildly inaccurate. I can’t name another player in Texas history who had such a great individual season only to have our fan base be like, “Meh, just another disappointing one-and-done.” I understand the inclination to think that way as a Texas fan, but he was so much more impactful than he’s been given credit for, and his loss is going to be felt more than a number of people around here seem to realize.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

What's your prediction?

They'll blow out a couple of scrubs in the 1st few games, everyone will claim the offense is fixed. They will go to some tournament against other middling P6 schools, struggle to score, lose more than they win, and everyone will say it's ok they are young. They will nearly lose to a team they should blow out by 40, and people will say that's ok, it was just one game, and there was no atmosphere. They will enter conference play with 2-3 more losses than they should. They will get run out of the gym by Kansas and West Virginia and everyone will say that's ok we are really just a Top 4 team. Then they will struggle on the road against the rest of the conference and everyone will say this is the best league in college basketball. They will finish with a .500 or worse conference record and everyone will say it's ok this team is all sophomores and freshmen. They will lose more games than they win in post-season and everyone will say, but look at that recruiting class he's bringing in. In the off-season all but 1 or 2 of his upperclassmen will transfer out, and everyone will say that's ok the freshmen are better.

Rinse and repeat for another year.

There is more than enough evidence that Shaka sucks, and he should have been fired already.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They'll blow out a couple of scrubs in the 1st few games, everyone will claim the offense is fixed. They will go to some tournament against other middling P6 schools, struggle to score, lose more than they win, and everyone will say it's ok they are young. They will nearly lose to a team they should blow out by 40, and people will say that's ok, it was just one game, and there was no atmosphere. They will enter conference play with 2-3 more losses than they should. They will get run out of the gym by Kansas and West Virginia and everyone will say that's ok we are really just a Top 4 team. Then they will struggle on the road against the rest of the conference and everyone will say this is the best league in college basketball. They will finish with a .500 or worse conference record and everyone will say it's ok this team is all sophomores and freshmen. They will lose more games than they win in post-season and everyone will say, but look at that recruiting class he's bringing in. In the off-season all but 1 or 2 of his upperclassmen will transfer out, and everyone will say that's ok the freshmen are better.

There is more than enough evidence that Shaka sucks, and he should have been fired already.

Fuck Shaka

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Ah, the real trolls have arrived.

You are UTGrad, right? You spent the entire season last year telling us how much Shaka sucks and how we weren't going to make the dance. You were wrong. Yet here you are, forecasting doom and gloom again, with your little sidekick Immortal who also wrongly predicted our team would fail to make the dance.

Don't you guys learn from your mistakes? The team is on a positive trajectory. The cavalry for the next few years is arriving.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

You are UTGrad, right? You spent the entire season last year telling us how much Shaka sucks and how we weren't going to make the dance. You were wrong. Yet here you are, forecasting doom and gloom again, with your little sidekick Immortal who also wrongly predicted our team would fail to make the dance.

Don't you guys learn from your mistakes? The team is on a positive trajectory. The cavalry for the next few years is arriving.

What mistakes? This team was projected to finish in the top half of the Big 12 and make more than a one and done appearance in the tournament. 3 years in and he's barely a .500 coach, please feel free to continue to suck him off though, as you can leave when he does.

2 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

I prefer to be called a realist. 

Don't post much on this board but do agree with the lack of shakas offensive structure but I think giving him this year was fair. I know I'm in the minority but I think this group could do pretty well. No I'm not saying conference champs or anything but this is the first year I like the mix of ages of the players. Yes we are still somewhat young but I know we for once have some older leadership. Also, Coleman has a year under hit belt, same with sims, more guard stability with long, and maybe DO and roach can show the young guns the way. That's a group I am more bullish on than the rest of the board. 

Matt Coleman is the guy I’m most looking forward to seeing. Legit hooper, legit play maker, big heart, and was a really solid shooter off the dribble from anywhere inside the arc last year. First guard we’ve had who could legit shoot off the dribble since Isaiah, who himself wasn’t as varied in his shooting range as Coleman is. If Coleman takes another legit step forward a la TJ and DJ then he could be a real difference maker for us. 

Hepa is going to get minutes. The question mark on Hepa was always his strength/defensive ability but that apparently hasn't been a problem at the U18 trials. Based on everything I've read, Hepa was drastically undervalued this recruiting cycle even as a top 50 prospect. 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/what-i-liked-corey-evans-from-usa-basketball-u18-trials

"Heading to Texas this fall, the potential of Kamaka Hepa should not just be valued for what he can do on the offensive end. During the early sessions in Colorado Springs, Hepa has already shown the ability to properly hard hedge a ball screen, use his recently added strength to defend in the post, and also slide his feet on the perimeter contain. A deadly offensive weapon that can shoot, dribble and pass, Hepa is a tremendous college prospect but his early showings at the USA Basketball trials make one believe that he has a decent chance of making the final roster of 12. His game is tailor made for Shaka Smart’s up-and-down system in Austin."

Edited by texasstrong12

Hepa has always looked to me more like a SF than a PF or even a stretch 4 with his ability to handle and shoot. He definitely has the skills and upside to be a big time player at Texas. It’s easy to fall in love with Hayes’ unbelievable athleticism and his super high ceiling, but if I had to bet today my money would be on Hepa, as far as who our best player from this class will be.

Edited by Goo Punch

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Hepa has always looked to me more like a SF than a PF or even a stretch 4 with his ability to handle and shoot. He definitely has the skills and upside to be a big time player at Texas. It’s easy to fall in love with Hayes’ unbelievable athleticism and his super high ceiling, but if I had to bet today my money would be on Hepa, as far as who our best player from this class will be.

Thanks for spamming 4 pages of Bamba stats. Yeah we really needed that. If you watched the games then you know as well as I that Bamba wasn't the difference-maker and "rim protector" that he probably will be in a few years in the NBA. He was raw, he was a freshman, and his impact was not dominant towards us winning games. Any big we have on our roster now is capable of being just as valuable by playing smart, tough, efficient NCAA basketball in their senior year.

• Fuck You 3

^^^^ how camel can make so many posts like that and not end up with 12 downvotes is astounding. Never mind the idea that Bamba wasn’t dominant, and never even mind the idea that every forward on our 2019 roster could be his equal one day, this fool just said that he wasn’t a rim protector. Which he put in quotes. Are you high. 

Edited by Goo Punch

40 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Thanks for spamming 4 pages of Bamba stats. Yeah we really needed that. If you watched the games then you know as well as I that Bamba wasn't the difference-maker and "rim protector" that he probably will be in a few years in the NBA. He was raw, he was a freshman, and his impact was not dominant towards us winning games. Any big we have on our roster now is capable of being just as valuable by playing smart, tough, efficient NCAA basketball in their senior year.

What on earth does that have to do with Hepa?

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

The position you play is usually determined by who you can guard. I don’t think Hepa can consistently guard on the wing, therefore I think he will play PF.

49 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

YOU. ARE. A. FUCKING. IDIOT.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

^^^^ how camel can make so many posts like that and not end up with 12 downvotes is astounding. Never mind the idea that Bamba wasn’t dominant, this fool just said that he wasn’t a “rim protector”. Are you high. 

Whether I'm high or not is not the issue. Did you not read the previous post in this thread explaining how an unusual amount of Bamba's blocks came on outside shots away from the rim?

I'll admit that he was dominant--at times--especially early in the season. But he was not consistently dominant in any single game nor through any consistent stretch of the season. There were games when we looked better without him on the court than with him. He was constantly pulled away from the rim by his man on defense and he did not facilitate the offense well with passes out of the post nor were his own post moves very polished as all. He did exactly what you'd expect from a great potential physical talent who is under 20 years old and still learning the team game.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Trent Whaley said:

The position you play is usually determined by who you can guard. I don’t think Hepa can consistently guard on the wing, therefore I think he will play PF.

Basketball, like most sports, is moving away from defined positions and more towards positionless ball. It used to be a simple 1-5/PG-C situation, but now with hybrid guards and forwards, stretch 4’s, point-forwards, and so-on, those labels are going out the window. I was merely describing Hepa’s offensive skill set when I said that he plays more like a SF than a PF or a stretch 4.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:47 PM, BigOrange1 said:

i can not imagine spending any portion of my time trying to convince a bunch of people who watched him play last year that osetkowski was anything other than a terrible player for texas.

he sucks and is a net negative for the program.

So why then was he selected as Honorable Mention All-Big12 for the 2018 season, YOU. FUCKING. MORON. durrr?

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

he had several big games, but in particular was 22-15-8 blks against Kansas just ho hum for you?  Do you think our center next year will do that against KU?

Alright, maybe I short-changed him a bit saying he wasn't dominant for any single game. He did have some big games. He also had some crappy games. He was raw and inconsistent. Players like Brodziansky at TCU and Wade at KSU were more valuable because they were simply more polished players playing smarter team ball.

And the larger point is that what got this whole conversation started--this idea that we can't be good next year because Bamba has exited--is stupid.