San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

I was kind of hoping Becky would break that barrier and get a head coaching job in the NBA, but I guess that's not going to happen for her for a while. The more interesting subtext to this is what does that mean regarding Pop's future. Many folks largely assumed she was going to be his replacement. I can't remember if I posted this here, but my friend who would know told me a few months back that he didn't see Pop hanging it up any time soon. He still loves the job and is in great shape mentally and physically. 

15 hours ago, Kermit said:

Goddamn, I fucking hate watching Jakob Poeltl play basketball.

Racist.

Jakob's ladder has pretty much settled in as the guy we traded for, he's simply playing more minutes.  He's a good, solid player, who's a little outdated because of athleticism but will play hard, be a great teammate and do as instructed.  He's a slightly better Tiago Splitter.  All of his advanced have settled in and at 26, he'd really have to add something to his game to change it fundamentally like develop a 3 point shot.  I get the frustration.  Remember watching Tiago getting his shit swatted back on the reg 5 feet from the basket?  Or him getting dunked on all the time?  He still, at his peak, was a good solid role player for us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Racist.

Jakob's ladder has pretty much settled in as the guy we traded for, he's simply playing more minutes.  He's a good, solid player, who's a little outdated because of athleticism but will play hard, be a great teammate and do as instructed.  He's a slightly better Tiago Splitter.  All of his advanced have settled in and at 26, he'd really have to add something to his game to change it fundamentally like develop a 3 point shot.  I get the frustration.  Remember watching Tiago getting his shit swatted back on the reg 5 feet from the basket?  Or him getting dunked on all the time?  He still, at his peak, was a good solid role player for us.

At least Tiago could hit a fucking free throw. But yes, voice of reason as usual. 

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Keldon straight up sucks right now.

Why we have to watch falling in love with young players.  Sometimes, they don’t grow or progress straight line.  He hadn’t gotten much better shooting the ball.  Has to do better with the stroke or will be a garbage man his whole career.

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

#9 MVP!

NBA referee Lauren Holtkamp on career goals and how the #MeToo movement  resonated with her younger self - New York Daily News

Why is Gretchen Wilson reffing the NBA?  She’s a Hard Wood Women?

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Why we have to watch falling in love with young players.  Sometimes, they don’t grow or progress straight line.  He hadn’t gotten much better shooting the ball.  Has to do better with the stroke or will be a garbage man his whole career.

I mean, the guy has slumped that last couple of games but he was leading the league in 3 pt % as of two days ago. I couldn't believe it either, but he's been shooting the shit out of the ball since about the first month of the season. 

Honestly, tonight was the best loss of the season. They need to be reminded of just how perilous their position is and that the ultimate prize is ping pong balls. They stand a pretty good chance of going O-fer this trip and it would go a long way to solidifying their position as a non playoff team. 

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I mean, the guy has slumped that last couple of games but he was leading the league in 3 pt % as of two days ago. I couldn't believe it either, but he's been shooting the shit out of the ball since about the first month of the season. 

Honestly, tonight was the best loss of the season. They need to be reminded of just how perilous their position is and that the ultimate prize is ping pong balls. They stand a pretty good chance of going O-fer this trip and it would go a long way to solidifying their position as a non playoff team. 

Yea, he's sort of becoming a 3 and D guy, because his splits look like a guy who can do one thing.  10-16 feet, he's 40%.  16 ft -- to the arc, he's 35%.  He's almost 60 points less than last year from 2.  His FT% has gone down almost 50 points too.  He's shooting the 3 better but regressed everywhere else.  And here's the thing I see when I watch him.  He doesn't have much mid-range game.  Now analytics will tell folks that a mid-range game is sometimes inefficient, but the good to great scorers all had elite mid-range games.  Keldon just looks awkward at times if he's not getting to the rim.  I still like him and the 3 ball is nice, but I haven't seen a lot of improvement in his game beyond the distance. 

He needs to find a go-to part of his game.  He doesn't really have a post game.  Not really a great dribble drive guy and not really a pull up guy.  But he plays hard, gets extra possessions, don't need to run a ton of plays for him and if this 3 ball is for real, then he's a good 3-D garbage guy.  That's not a terrible thing at all.  Thad Young is/was a good garbage guy.  Shawn Marion the same.   However, fair point about his 3 ball.  That's good to see, but he's just not a good shooter anywhere else, at least this year. 

I'm gonna guess we split the difference on his splits and that's where he settles in for the next few years.  Find that go-to game son, whatever it is.  That was the thing Kawhi always had, he had a post up game whereby as he became a perimeter player, he could still post up and then get his jump shot off his post game.  Excellent foot work.  

Anyways, that was rambling.  I like Keldon but I don't see superstar or even 2nd tier star guy in him right now...... Always can get better.

1 hour ago, Chad said:

What in the actual fuck? Why was he such a heaping pile of hammered dog shit in San Antonio? The Bulls presently sit #1 in the East and he looks like a legit MVP candidate just barely missing his career high PPG.

@ztejas probably can help you with this.  He loves Demar.  

I'll just say, basketball is a team sport and although there may be a couple of guys who can take shit and make ice cream, most players are going to play around the level of the overall talent of their squad.

I don't have anything against DeMar he just drove me crazy last year at the end of games and he doesn't play very inspiring defense. He's having a good season on a good team that has two all-defense level guards and very good secondary and tertiary scorers. Both he and the Spurs are better off for him leaving. We needed DJ to develop as the #1 like he is.

My favorite play of the season: Bryn Forbes looking off a wide open Primo to take a contested two. I fucking hate that asshole. He’ll always have Detroit.

Also, Toronto showing that you can actually draft tall, long forwards instead of guards and be somewhat successful.

Edited by Kermit

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My prediction of them winning two games on this roadie seems to be overly optimistic. They're going to take the collar. 

Eh. You called 1-2 wins and I optimistically called 3 before Doug and Lonnie went out. It's a noticeable difference. I'm pretty sure McBuckets is like our 4th or 5th best/most important player and Lonnie is for sure in the top 8 or so. We can't weather that on top of DJ being out. 

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Primo has some funny stats in a SSS.  Shooting better from 3 than the field overall.  Played over 100 minutes.... 0 FT's.  That's hard for a gunner.

He was getting to the line last night, thankfully. 

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling