San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

I've watched the Lakers a good amount this year. I'm not sure I've seen them play with this little effort. 

I mean - I've seen them play really shitty basketball - but they look like they aren't even attempting to win tonight. 

And of course we're letting them hang around anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

JRich having a nice night. Looking like an actual NBA player which is more than a lot of dudes out there can say (on both teams). 

Poeltl is 47% from the line on the year? Seriously? How is someone as limited athletically as he is that shitty from the line.

Edited by ztejas

"He demands the most out of you," said Ginobili, who spent 16 seasons with the Spurs. "The thing that makes him great was the day after, or once it happened, a couple hours later, the following day or even on Christmas Day [at his house], you think that he was pissed, upset, disappointed at you.

"And then all of a sudden you are drinking wine and talking. Like [whatever happened in the game] didn't happen."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33458182/gregg-popovich-nba-legend-stories-never-heard-san-antonio-spurs-team-usa-coach

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 9:59 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Is this going to be one of those unbreakable records?  Like wilts 100 and whatever number curry puts up for most 3s?

Nah. Someone like Spoelstra could probably break it easily if he wanted. Say he coaches until he's 70 - he'd need to win ~40 games a year until then to reach Pop (both big ifs but completely within the realm of possibility).

Obviously if Pop keeps coaching it will be harder to catch him - but Wilkins was just 3 short of Nelson - so a few guys have basically hit the number Pop is at already. If Pop retires after this year or next maybe I'd bet someone gets him eventually. 

Phil's playoff wins record is probably a lot safer than the regular season record.

So 13 games left, 2.5 games behind NOLA for the 10th spot (last play-in) and 3.5 behind the Lakers for #9. I just don't see the play in happening, even with as historically terrible as the Lakers have been as of late. Neither NOLA or LA own their own first round pick so tanking isn't an option for either of them.

So looking at the current lottery projection and remaining schedule:

image.thumb.png.ab315d7f1234d21d8a75ca8fbb505187.png

image.png.b5e72e8e240186781afbf45ddfa454f1.png

I'm assuming every game against current playoff/play-in teams is a loss, unless seeding doesn't matter for the last 2 games against GS and Dallas. So that's 8 more likely L's. Those three games vs. Portland are looming large. Very fitting that they play a 2 game series in SA starting on April Fool's day. Those are going to be painful to watch. Plus a game each against Houston and OKC, both of whom are fairly entrenched in the bottom 4 so they may actually try in those. Losing to OKC tomorrow night would be huge.

So, say they go 3-2 against the scrubs, maybe win one that they shouldn't, that puts them at around 4-9 the rest of the way and a final record of 30-52. That should be good enough to stay in the 7 spot, which is about a 1 in 3 chance of a top 4 pick. Moving ahead of SAC is going to be tough, but being passed up by Portland and/or NY would suck. Moving from 7 to 10 takes you from about 1/3 chance of a top 4 to a 1/6. 

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling