San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Free at last, free at last! Great day to be a spurs fan. This is in theory going to clear minutes for Primo and our long, recurring nightmare is over.

Now go get something for Thad Young. Certainly somebody needs a productive big for a playoff run. Maybe somebody will get injured and then desperate. 

Brooklyn could use him 

21 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

We did something.

Rumor is we're getting a 2nd rounder back as well, but it's just a rumor thus far.  We take some money off the Celtics books this year but Juancho's salary next year is reportedly non-guaranteed.  If we get the 2nd rounder, then okay.  Never know, may hit on a rosterable or rotation play in time.  If we just get the cost savings next year... meh.

13 hours ago, Kermit said:

Thad out there tanking what’s left of his trade value.

He looked a little... uh.... rusty. That was an impressive stretch of basketball that included 3 pretty bad turnovers, an air balled free throw and a -10 plus/minus in the most garbage of garbage time stints against a bad team playing uninspired basketball.

Also, I went last night and that's the poorest attended Spurs game I think I've been to since they won 21 games and played in the Hemisfair. I guess it's to be expected. The Spurs aren't good and it was Wednesday night in the dog days of the season against one of the worst 5-ish teams in the league in the middle of a 12 of the next 14 games at home with Brooklyn and Golden State on tap. On the plus side, I felt extremely safe from the perspective of it being a super spreader event.

One other thing.... Dejounte has become really, really good. Like, good enough to be one of the three best players on a championship team, good. Probably #3, but still. All they need now is a #1 and #2.  Spurs need some lottery/draft luck in the worst way.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2

HUUUUUGE game tonight @Houston. Spurs -3 but still imminently losable. No John Wall for Houston. No Primo or Zach Collins for the Spurs.

Spurs are currently sitting at #6 for the lottery, just 3 games behind Houston and OKC for 4th. Spurs get the Rox again next Friday, which is the last home game before the rodeo and then one more time before the end of the season. We can still make up ground on them.

Bottom 4 record should be the goal -- it's almost equal odds for #1 pick for the last 4. Detroit and Orlando are near locks for the worst 2 records. OKC and Houston are the main competition for #3 and #4. After this game, the schedule gets pretty rough -- Griz, Bulls, @Suns, Warriors, Heat. Then Houston, and then the RRT: Cavs. Hawks, Pels, Bulls, Thunder, Wiz, Heat, and Griz. Other than the two Houston games and OKC, Spurs will be dogs in every one of those. We could really make a move on some ping pong balls. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

HUUUUUGE game tonight @Houston. Spurs -3 but still imminently losable. No John Wall for Houston. No Primo or Zach Collins for the Spurs.

Spurs are currently sitting at #6 for the lottery, just 3 games behind Houston and OKC for 4th. Spurs get the Rox again next Friday, which is the last home game before the rodeo and then one more time before the end of the season. We can still make up ground on them.

Bottom 4 record should be the goal -- it's almost equal odds for #1 pick for the last 4. Detroit and Orlando are near locks for the worst 2 records. OKC and Houston are the main competition for #3 and #4. After this game, the schedule gets pretty rough -- Griz, Bulls, @Suns, Warriors, Heat. Then Houston, and then the RRT: Cavs. Hawks, Pels, Bulls, Thunder, Wiz, Heat, and Griz. Other than the two Houston games and OKC, Spurs will be dogs in every one of those. We could really make a move on some ping pong balls. 

lets-tank-together-warhammer.gif

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Couple horseshit superstar calls down the stretch that Durant would be lucky to get. 

Oh well.

He’s so fucking fast, it doesn’t register to these dimwit refs that he’s jumping into the defenders. 

Memphis is really fucking good. Fast, athletic, competent, and clutch. 

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

He’s so fucking fast, it doesn’t register to these dimwit refs that he’s jumping into the defenders. 

Memphis is really fucking good. Fast, athletic, competent, and clutch. 

They're fine. They're a nice story and regular season darling. I think the Lakers - for example - would take them out in the playoffs assuming Bron and AD are healthy. 

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They're fine. They're a nice story and regular season darling. I think the Lakers - for example - would take them out in the playoffs assuming Bron and AD are healthy. 

Russell Westbrook still play for the Lakers in this fantasy?

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

@Mitch Cumsteen I respect you as a poster and I'm sure you're a better Spurs fan than I am but I just can't cheer against these guys. 

GSG and hand Memphis this L. 

I don't cheer against them. I get no pleasure out of watching them lose. Hell, I'm still actually showing up to the games when I can get down there. And I really like this team -- they have some very likeable players and they play hard and unselfishly.  I would love to see this group grow together and take the next step. They are very easy to root for.

But let's make no mistake about what is best for this franchise long term, and that's collecting ping pong balls and hopefully striking gold in the lottery/draft. Also, it's half tongue in cheek when I talk about them tanking because they aren't actively doing it, which is noble, especially compared to what other teams have done (e.g., that bullshit in Philly). I feel like we can claim the moral high ground, for whatever that is worth (jack shit).

Also.... on the subject of tanking, my God Sacramento what the fuck? In the last 10 days, they lost to both Detroit and Houston and got drummed by 53 against Boston. They look like they are racing to the bottom. Trade rumors swirling around them.  Indiana is making things interesting as well. They beat LAL and GS back to back, and then lost to the Pels and got beat by 32 by Charlotte at home. Spurs could end up anywhere from around 5th to 10th in this thing -- which is a huge swing of a 42% chance of being top 4 to a 20% chance. 

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling