San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

Charlotte can’t miss. Doesn’t help that the Spurs have forgotten how to play defense and are letting Mason Plumlee look like Jokic. Tank is back on!

Aw fuck. Tony Brothers is refereeing. He’s already made two horrid calls and missed a goal-tend.

Edited by Kermit

@Mitch Cumsteen had this one penciled in. Bet he made a killing tonight. 

What a bizarre team. 

I mean seriously - imagine trying to set lines for this team. We were favored by a couple points against Denver and got trounced. Favored by 4 against CHA and got trounced, again. Tonight? Uhhh... I don't know. Let's go Jazz -11.5.

Nope! Spurs win. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2021 at 10:27 PM, ztejas said:

@Mitch Cumsteen had this one penciled in. Bet he made a killing tonight. 

What a bizarre team. 

I mean seriously - imagine trying to set lines for this team. We were favored by a couple points against Denver and got trounced. Favored by 4 against CHA and got trounced, again. Tonight? Uhhh... I don't know. Let's go Jazz -11.5.

Nope! Spurs win. 

I think the pattern on the Spurs is 100% dependent on the effort their opponent gives. Any team in the league that plays hard on defense against them is likely going to win. The Spurs win games when the other team has a screwy schedule, is injured, or just plain overlooks them. Utah got complacent and mailed it in after getting up 17. Spurs beat Denver when they were tired, got smoked by them two days later for payback. Beat the W's after their big win against Phoenix. Beat Mil with no Giannis. Got run by Indiana when the Pacers had their backs against the wall. Charlotte got guys back from health and safety protocol and needed a win, trounced the spurs. The Knicks were going through a rough stretch, came in focused and needed a W. 

Look at it like you're betting on bowl games. The team that wants to be there the most is usually going to win / cover. The Spurs are fairly consistent with their effort and want to. Other than the true dregs of the league (Orlando, Houston, Detroit, okc), if their opponent brings anything resembling their A game, I would expect the Spurs to lose. 

If you're looking at today's game, if Fox (and 5 other dudes out with covid) were playing I would be all over the kings. They are desperate for a W at home in an early start. As it stands, the Spurs are a road favorite after a big win and on the west coast in an early tip, which would bode well for fading them, but Sac may just be too depleted. I wouldn't touch it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think the pattern on the Spurs is 100% dependent on the effort their opponent gives. Any team in the league that plays hard on defense against them is likely going to win. The Spurs win games when the other team has a screwy schedule, is injured, or just plain overlooks them. Utah got complacent and mailed it in after getting up 17. Spurs beat Denver when they were tired, got smoked by them two days later for payback. Beat the W's after their big win against Phoenix. Beat Mil with no Giannis. Got run by Indiana when the Pacers had their backs against the wall. Charlotte got guys back from health and safety protocol and needed a win, trounced the spurs. The Knicks were going through a rough stretch, came in focused and needed a W. 

Look at it like you're betting on bowl games. The team that wants to be there the most is usually going to win / cover. The Spurs are fairly consistent with their effort and want to. Other than the true dregs of the league (Orlando, Houston, Detroit, okc), if their opponent brings anything resembling their A game, I would expect the Spurs to lose. 

If you're looking at today's game, if Fox (and 5 other dudes out with covid) were playing I would be all over the kings. They are desperate for a W at home in an early start. As it stands, the Spurs are a road favorite after a big win and on the west coast in an early tip, which would bode well for fading them, but Sac may just be too depleted. I wouldn't touch it. 

I think this is pretty accurate. I'm sure I could nitpick a few results that don't quite align with this but there's other factors like how we are shooting from behind the arc and how our opponent is. 

I'd add that we have tended to struggle with superstars. The Nuggets are .500 but we have no answer for Jokic. Other .500ish teams like the Celtics or Knicks are much more beatable for us even when they are bringing their A game. (Yeah the Knicks handled us but RJ Barret went 7/8 from 3 - he's good for that maybe twice a year).

14 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Doug is awesome 

I feel like he could step outside and run a marathon in under 4 hours and not break a sweat.

Also - this is one of those games where the other team comes out flat and disinterested and gets smacked. I think both Mitch and I have commented on the Spurs doing this on certain nights.

They are certainly fun. 

Edited by ztejas

It's been nice to see Murray take a leap this season. In his last 14 games, he's averaging 18.1, 8.7 rpg, and 9.4 apg with 1.9 stls and only 2.5 to/g. Even more impressive, he's shooting 45% overall and 40% from three. If he can continue to shoot that well from three, then he's an all star caliber player. I thought I saw that he was tied for the league lead in triple doubles this season? It's pretty amazing. I hate to put too much stock in guys who put up good numbers on bad teams, but he's been very impressive and they are 8-6 over that stretch. 

They do need to start tanking more of these games, though. The Magic and Pistons look like they are locks for the two worst records in the league, but the Spurs need to start jockeying for position a little more with the Pels, Rockets, Kings and Thunder. They are about to go on a big east coast roadie at the beginning of the New Year so hopefully they take some lumps. Other than a couple of games against the Pistons, they should be underdogs in 9 of their next 11. Of course the way this season has been going, they will surely catch a couple of those teams with their guards down. Or covid.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I thought I saw that he was tied for the league lead in triple doubles this season? It's pretty amazing.

Yes. With Jokic. And I think he's 4th in assists. 

He also has the most trip doubs in a season for the Spurs now. 

He was phenomenal last night. I didn't want him to quit shooting. The bounce pass in transition to find KJ in the corner in the 3rd quarter was one of the best passes I've seen anyone make this season. And his steal/slam to beyond put the game away was a fun cherry on top. 

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The bounce pass in transition to find KJ in the corner in the 3rd quarter was one of the best passes I've seen anyone make this season. 

i need to see the highlight.. i saw it live but the pass was blocked by backboard... saw the 3 splash.

entire crowd for both sides cheered that one

Edited by kingkoopa6

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's been nice to see Murray take a leap this season. In his last 14 games, he's averaging 18.1, 8.7 rpg, and 9.4 apg with 1.9 stls and only 2.5 to/g. Even more impressive, he's shooting 45% overall and 40% from three. If he can continue to shoot that well from three, then he's an all star caliber player. I thought I saw that he was tied for the league lead in triple doubles this season? It's pretty amazing. I hate to put too much stock in guys who put up good numbers on bad teams, but he's been very impressive and they are 8-6 over that stretch. 

They do need to start tanking more of these games, though. The Magic and Pistons look like they are locks for the two worst records in the league, but the Spurs need to start jockeying for position a little more with the Pels, Rockets, Kings and Thunder. They are about to go on a big east coast roadie at the beginning of the New Year so hopefully they take some lumps. Other than a couple of games against the Pistons, they should be underdogs in 9 of their next 11. Of course the way this season has been going, they will surely catch a couple of those teams with their guards down. Or covid.

I’m pretty sure the tank is off with Landale getting actual playing time. With that dude on the floor, the second unit is  fucking shit up. 

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling