San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

Spurs have a lot of issues..... the last 35ish games are so important for the youngsters.  Frankly, I think these are the last 35 games of the Lonnie Walker era.  He has wonderful tools, but it hasn't clicked as a basketball player.  He does nothing well.  Vassell is a tad better this year than last and he's still a baby at 21, but he needs to really pick up and show out some game this last half.  Going into his 3rd year as a question mark would be a real concern.  Keldon has sort of hit a wall, he excited us probably playing over his head in 17 games his rookie year, but since then he's settled in as a solid role player but that's it.  Never say never, but there's been no evidence he can be a top 3 player on a contending squad, just a nice hustle player.  Murray looks better and is exhibiting some leadership which is great to see.  Derrick is up and down but a decent player.  Our two bigs are nice 20 minute player and developmental 20 minute player.  But there just isn't a star level player other than Murray and he's probably just starish on a bad squad.  They've had 3 top 18 picks the last 5 years and early returns are....... minimal, and that's me being nice.  Tanking?  Probably good because the Spurs are showing they're really no different than any other front office when it comes to drafting..... they'll have as many misses as hits.  

Primo went 1-13 tonight..... Lonnie was 2-10.  Shooters gotta shoot I guess.

All quiet on the Tank front.  Here's a couple of rumors.  Doubt we move Jakob's ladder.

Reportedly, Spurs asking for a 1st plus a good young player, probably like Precious.  They need shooting too, so maybe a McDermott and add another first and we throw back a 2nd.

This is crazy..... Thad can still be a 7/8 guy off the bench and help in a 15-20 minute capacity, imo.  Not sure what we're doing, but we should be notifying all teams.

Also..... Congrats to Dejounte.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Just now, Llogg said:

I get it's a business but fuck Utah for trading Ingles after he gets hurt like this. Not like the pieces they're getting or going to move the needle for their playoff run.

So what you’re saying is, fuck the Jazz? Forever and always.

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I get it's a business but fuck Utah for trading Ingles after he gets hurt like this. Not like the pieces they're getting or going to move the needle for their playoff run.

Ingles is on an expiring deal. They can re-sign him this off season if they want him back. I don't think they did him dirty. Still, fuck the Jazz just because fuck the Jazz.

This was a nice little deal for the Spurs. They turned Juancho into a second round pick. So if you're keeping score at home, it means that they turned Bryn Forbes into two second rounders which is two more than he's worth.

Also, I always thought Satoransky was a decent little role player for Washington and Chicago. I can't imagine that the Spurs have any long term plans for him with their current backcourt logjam,, but he's not a complete scrub. Hopefully they can flip him again for another pick or include him as part of something bigger, as he's an expiring contract as well. They should be in the mix for every trade where somebody needs to off load salary and they can pick up more picks along the way. 

Forgot he was on an expiring contract. Which I guess was the point for Portland as they've entered the tank race.

FWIW, I don't think the trade does anything of value for the Spurs. I guess they might turn Satoransky into something or just free up cap space next year by letting him walk, but they have a roster full of late-first and second round talent. The only way for them to advance the team is to move into top 10 talent. Not sure anything they've done gets them closer to that goal.

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

Forgot he was on an expiring contract. Which I guess was the point for Portland as they've entered the tank race.

FWIW, I don't think the trade does anything of value for the Spurs. I guess they might turn Satoransky into something or just free up cap space next year by letting him walk, but they have a roster full of late-first and second round talent. The only way for them to advance the team is to move into top 10 talent. Not sure anything they've done gets them closer to that goal.

One more thing about Ingles that I didn't consider is that Utah won't have his Bird rights so if they want him back, they can only offer him the MLE because they are a taxpayer, and a repeat one at that. The taxppayer MLE ($6 million) isn't close to what he makes now ($11 million). So I would imagine his Jazz days are over, although I don't know what the free agent market looks like for a 34 year old sharp shooting wing player coming off of knee surgery. 

But to the point of this doing nothing of value for the Spurs, I disagree. Any accumulation of assets that can be packaged with other assets (players, picks, swaps, cap room) puts them closer to acquiring better talent. So the odds of you getting a top 10 player out of this are very long, but maybe you get lucky and land a young rotation player on a good contract or a draft and stash guy that develops overseas. Then some superstar gets disgruntled with his current situation and you are able to package a bunch of players for him, this hypothetical player being one of them. Absent a full tank (which we just aren't going to see from this franchise) or a ping pong ball miracle, this is the way.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:45 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Free at last, free at last! Great day to be a spurs fan. This is in theory going to clear minutes for Primo and our long, recurring nightmare is over.

Now go get something for Thad Young. Certainly somebody needs a productive big for a playoff run. Maybe somebody will get injured and then desperate. 

Thread title has not disappointed...  "Let's get this shitshiw rolling"

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:
OMG we got rid of Drewbanks AND moved up about 10 spots in this year's draft unless Toronto completely bottoms out.

Love what the Spurs are doing at the deadline.

Sorry I'm not completely following your logic... How are Spurs moving up 10 spots in this transaction ??

Most active we've ever been. And I'm not really mad at any of the moves. Got the capital we want, but sad to see Derrick White go. He was my favorite of the new class, but it was evident he's hit a wall here and likely not going to be that player from the Denver series years ago. Could be a good 3rd/4th option in Boston though. 

Let's get us a real good bounce of the lottery balls and start cooking with gas.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Sorry I'm not completely following your logic... How are Spurs moving up 10 spots in this transaction ??

Spurs are sending Detroit's second round pick, which is likely going to be the first or second pick in the second round (#31 or #32 overall) and getting Toronto's first round pick in return, which as it stands now is pick #20. So in essence, they are moving up 10-ish spots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hmmm….. have to see which pick.

2022 first and a 2028 pick swap. 

No idea what the fuck Stevens is doing. Richardson is on an expiring and Langford is only on the books for 4M next year. This is like best case scenario for dumping White's shitty contract. 

Surprised Lonnie hasn't moved yet.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

2022 first and a 2028 pick swap. 

No idea what the fuck Stevens is doing. Richardson is on an expiring and Langford is only on the books for 4M next year. This is like best case scenario for dumping White's shitty contract. 

Surprised Lonnie hasn't moved yet.

White's contract is actually reasonable but I still think the Spurs worked over the Celtics in this deal. They clear cap, they get picks, White has hit his ceiling, they need a better shooter next to DJ, and they clear the decks for Primo. Plus they get a free flyer on Langford.

Thank God they've finally embraced the reality of their tank. It's a great day for the Spurs who have been straddling the line for three years now and finally pulled off the band aid.

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

White's contract is actually reasonable but I still think the Spurs worked over the Celtics in this deal. They clear cap, they get picks, White has hit his ceiling, they need a better shooter next to DJ, and they clear the decks for Primo. Plus they get a free flyer on Langford.

Thank God they've finally embraced the reality of their tank. It's a great day for the Spurs who have been straddling the line for three years now and finally pulled off the band aid.

I don't think he's worth 55 over the next 3 years. I guess it's "reasonable" I just want someone else to pay it now. 

Basically - I don't like being handcuffed to dude's who may or may not be worth the money they're getting. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

We may not be done.

I don't know how I feel about that. Washington and Jones are high upside players, but haven't demonstrated much of anything in the NBA while Jakob is an insane value who has grown into a really good player this season and finally reached his lottery potential.

33 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

so are we getting 3 first round picks?

i haveo the confuseo

Spurs will have three first rounders in the upcoming draft unless the Raptors completely collapse. I'm expecting them to package the picks together and move up to grab a big-time player. The Spurs have a lot of good players, they need a great player or two to be successful again. I'm just relieved to see Simmons end up in Brooklyn after being rumored to be on the move to the Spurs on numerous occasions, the last thing they needed was the PG version of DeRozan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad said:

the last thing they needed was the PG version of DeRozan.

Wtf?  Derozen wasn’t perfect and you could tell he was initially upset at getting traded , but the dude at least was a pro and showed up played hard and mentored the young guys.  He didn’t quit on his team  and ask for a trade.  

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling