San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

Hope Spurs end up no worse than 8th in Lottery.  (Probably can't afford to win more than 3 of last 12 games to be 8th or higher in Lottery Standings.)

Remaining Spurs Schedule...

Fri, 3/18
vsNONO
7:30 PM   New Orleans
Sun, 3/20
@GSGS
7:30 PM   @Golden State
Wed, 3/23
@PORPOR
9:00 PM   @Portland
Sat, 3/26
@NONO
4:00 PM   @New Orleans
Mon, 3/28
@HOUHOU
7:00 PM   @Houston
Wed, 3/30
vsMEMMEM
7:30 PM   Memphis
Fri, 4/1
vsPORPOR
7:30 PM   Portland
Sun, 4/3
vsPORPOR
6:00 PM   Portland
Tue, 4/5
@DENDEN
8:00 PM   @Denver
Thu, 4/7
@MINMIN
7:00 PM   @Minnesota
Sat, 4/9
vsGSGS
TBD   Golden State
Sun, 4/10
@DALDAL
TBD       
      @ DALLAS    
Edited by LTtxfan

On 3/15/2022 at 11:45 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So 13 games left, 2.5 games behind NOLA for the 10th spot (last play-in) and 3.5 behind the Lakers for #9. I just don't see the play in happening, even with as historically terrible as the Lakers have been as of late. Neither NOLA or LA own their own first round pick so tanking isn't an option for either of them.

So looking at the current lottery projection and remaining schedule:

image.thumb.png.ab315d7f1234d21d8a75ca8fbb505187.png

image.png.b5e72e8e240186781afbf45ddfa454f1.png

I'm assuming every game against current playoff/play-in teams is a loss, unless seeding doesn't matter for the last 2 games against GS and Dallas. So that's 8 more likely L's. Those three games vs. Portland are looming large. Very fitting that they play a 2 game series in SA starting on April Fool's day. Those are going to be painful to watch. Plus a game each against Houston and OKC, both of whom are fairly entrenched in the bottom 4 so they may actually try in those. Losing to OKC tomorrow night would be huge.

So, say they go 3-2 against the scrubs, maybe win one that they shouldn't, that puts them at around 4-9 the rest of the way and a final record of 30-52. That should be good enough to stay in the 7 spot, which is about a 1 in 3 chance of a top 4 pick. Moving ahead of SAC is going to be tough, but being passed up by Portland and/or NY would suck. Moving from 7 to 10 takes you from about 1/3 chance of a top 4 to a 1/6. 

Bump

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Lonnie injured. Didn’t look good. 

Found this...

Adding injury to insult, the Spurs also lost Lonnie Walker IV to back spasms on a screen from Willy Hernangomez with 2:29 remaining in the opening quarter.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich attempted to stunt the domination (early in game by Pelicans) with two early timeouts and then forced an ejection 2 1/2 minutes into the second quarter by arguing with official Bennie Adams.

7 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

Portland is much better at tanking than the Spurs are.

Yeah, Portland is at the point of not hiding that they are tanking... 🙄 

If the Lakers or Knicks get a top 3 pick in the Lottery, the whole system is fucked up...

2022 NBA Draft Lottery Simulator

PICK TEAM REC PCT GB TOP 4 #1 OVR  

ROCKETS 

18-55 .247 -- 52.1% 14.0%

ORLANDO 

20-54 .270 1.5 52.1% 14.0%

DETROIT

20-53 .274 2.0 52.1% 14.0%

OKLA CITY  

21-52 .288 3.0 48.1% 12.5%

INDIANA

25-48 .342 7.0 42.1% 10.5%

SAC KINGS

26-48 .351 7.5 37.2% 9.0%

PORTLAND 

27-45 .375 9.5 32.0% 7.5%

SPURS

29-44 .397 11.0 26.3% 6.0%

NEW ORLEANS 

30-42 .417 12.5 20.3% 4.5%

WASHINGTON

30-41 .423 13.0 13.9% 3.0%

LAKERS

31-42 .425 13.0 8.5% 1.8%

-

KNICKS

31-42 .425 13.0 8.0% 1.7%

ATLANTA

36-37 .493 18.0 4.8% 1.0%

CHARLOTTE

37-36 .507 19.0 2.4% 0.5%

https://www.tankathon.com/

2022 NBA Draft Lottery Race

PICK TEAM REC  PCT    GB      TOP 4    #1 OVR

1  HOU     19-55  .257     --       52.1%     14.0%

ORL       20-55  .267    0.5     52.1%     14.0%

DET       20-54  .270    1.0     52.1%      14.0%

OKC.     21-52   .288    2.5    48.1%      12.5%

IND       25-50   .333    5.5    42.1%      10.5%

SAC      27-48   .360    7.5     37.2%       9.0%

POR      27-46   .370     8.5    32.0%       7.5%

SA          30-44   .405    11.0    26.3%       6.0%

NO        31-43   .419     12.0    20.3%     4.5%

10 LAL     31-42   .425     12.5     11.7%      2.5%

11 WAS     31-42  .425     12.5     11.7%      2.5%

12 NY       32-42  .432     13.0      7.1%        1.5%

13 ATL     37-37   .500     18.0       4.8%      1.0%

14 CHA    38-36  .514      19.0      2.4%       0.5%

END OF LOTTERY

Damn, sure hope San Antonio doesn't fall below spot #8 in the Lottery.

23 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

These assholes are going to make the play in. 

Spurs remaining schedule has two home games this week vs Portland who just lost Trendon Watford

DATE OPPONENT TIME    
Mon, 3/28
@HOUHOU
7:00 PM    
Wed, 3/30
vsMEMMEM
7:30 PM    
Fri, 4/1
vsPORPOR
7:30 PM    
Sun, 4/3
vsPORPOR
6:00 PM    
Tue, 4/5
@DENDEN
8:00 PM    
Thu, 4/7
@MINMIN
7:00 PM    
Sat, 4/9
vsGSGS
TBD    
Sun, 4/10
@DALDAL
TBD

Portland Trail Blazers' Trendon Watford injures knee in loss to Houston Rockets

ESPN News Services       5:21 AM CT

Portland Trail Blazers forward Trendon Watford will be sidelined at least a week with a hyperextended knee and bone bruise suffered in Saturday's loss to the Houston Rockets.

Watford led the Blazers with 15 points and 10 rebounds before suffering the injury with 3:01 remaining in the 115-98 loss. He fell to the court and grabbed at his left knee after awkwardly stepping on the foot of Houston's Dennis Schroder. Watford was helped to the locker room by teammates and coaches, unable to put any weight on his left leg.

He underwent an MRI, and the Trail Blazers said he would be reevaluated after sitting out a week.  Watford had scored at least 10 points in 12 of 13 games in March, upping his season average to 7.4 points per game.

The Trail Blazers also lost forward Greg Brown to an eye contusion in the first quarter. Coach Chauncey Billups said after the game that Brown was seeing an eye doctor to determine the severity of the injury.

Does it even matter where they draft? They're gonna pick a guard regardless, Spurs will continue to do Spurs things I mean they drafted guards with 5 of their last 7 first round picks. Pop is waiting to unveil his revolutionary ultimate small ball 4 guard lineup and return the Spurs to their former glory.

I'm not sure the Spurs have a strategy of drafting guards so much as a strategy of best available regardless of position.

Also, not sure anyone still cares, but out of curiosity I've been following Samanic a little bit. He got waived by the Knicks from his 2-way contract a couple weeks ago. Apparently plantar fasciitis kept him out of a ton of games. He was dominant in the G league when he played though -- 27ppg, 39% from deep, 54% from the field.

Edited by Llogg

There was a point in the game last night where the Spurs were almost unrecognizable. I've watch this team try to figure it out all year. They play extremely hard, but just can't get over the hump most nights. It was a lineup of Murray, Primo, Keldon, Collins, and and Landale. For whatever reason, this lineup clicked. The ball never stopped moving, the players never stopped moving, and they had wide open layups and three pointers. Hell, Jock even nailed a step-back three. It didn't last, but it made me hopeful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m going to the game tomorrow night in Houston. This will be my first time seeing this team in person, so I’m really looking forward to it.

Well, now I know who to blame if they lose. Have fun Hate!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

FIFY

I'm pretty sure they've already fucked up the tank, so now I'm rooting for Lakers misery. Plus, the guys will have some great experience if they can make a push towards the post-season (trying to be that one asshole who puts a positive spin on things). 

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

I'm pretty sure they've already fucked up the tank, so now I'm rooting for Lakers misery. Plus, the guys will have some great experience if they can make a push towards the post-season (trying to be that one asshole who puts a positive spin on things). 

Hell maybe the "Lottery Gods" will smile down on the Spurs in the #10 spot and give them a Top 3 pick... 🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

So we not tanking. Haha 

I keep trying to watch my Spurs play this year and I can’t figure out what I want to happen. Win…lose…? Yay we won?

And apparently the front office feels the same way. There is no plan.

I’ve decided to follow @Kermit ‘s lead and just root for Lakers misery. Always satisfies. 

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Spurs up 100-90 with 10mins left  against tanking Rockets

This tanking info found by @Fud 

Rockets aren't tanking they just suck (so... tanking by default I guess). They've had some surprise wins this season and usually play hard. 

Also their chemistry is a mess and they have two mega head cases on the team in Wood and KPJ. 

Edited by ztejas

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Rockets aren't tanking they just suck (so... tanking by default I guess). They've had some surprise wins this season and usually play hard. 

Also their chemistry is a mess and they have two mega head cases on the team in Wood and KPJ. 

Do playoff results affect draft position in any way, or is it strictly the team's regular season record ??

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Looks like you're right -- Rockets fighting back at end, down 1pt with 9secs left.  Spurs ball.

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Do playoff results affect draft position in any way, or is it strictly the team's regular season record ??

Yes. 

The 16 teams who made the playoffs make up the 15-30 selections. The further a team advances in the season, the lower the pick becomes (NBA champion picks 30th, runners up pick 29th, teams that exited the Conference Finals pick 28th and 27th etc). If two teams exit at the same time, the franchise with the better record gets the lower pick.

14 non playoff teams pick 1-14 in order of record. 

So you can technically have teams ahead of other teams in record that pick later. Which is fucking stupid. Then again - so is the play in in general. 

Edited by ztejas
Fixed because I fucked it up because I'm stupid
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Spurs win by 3pts.   Now have 31 Wins... Same as Lakers

We're only a game back of the Pelicans, too. Either way we just have to win 2 games to make the playoffs if we finish 10th at worst.

Honestly - I'm happy with this season already because we either make the playoffs and I get to watch the Spurs in the playoffs (probably get dicked on by Phoenix) or we miss and get some ping pong balls. 

And I've said this at various points during the season, but I really think we're starting to put together some decent pieces around each other. DJM is a top 50 player at least - Primo has flashed a bit, so have Lonnie and Vassell. I kind of like Collins and Landale and hope we get a serviceable stretch 5 out of one of those 2. I bet we do. JRich would be a great shooter and secondary or tertiary ball handler on a ton of teams - I think he just needed the right fit. 

And - we should have some cap space to play with. Repeat something like the LMA signing (or even half a step below that) and we could have a fun little team next year that could potentially fight for a 5 or 6 spot. 

Yeah we aren't perennial WCF favorites like we used to be but things are moving in the right direction. I've just always hated the idea of tanking and embracing being shitty as it doesn't seem to align with the culture that's been built. I could be totally wrong on that but this has at least been an interesting little close to this season and could be a sign of some more fun to come. 

GSG

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We're only a game back of the Pelicans, too. Either way we just have to win 2 games to make the playoffs if we finish 10th at worst.

Honestly - I'm happy with this season already because we either make the playoffs and I get to watch the Spurs in the playoffs (probably get dicked on by Phoenix) or we miss and get some ping pong balls. 

And I've said this at various points during the season, but I really think we're starting to put together some decent pieces around each other. DJM is a top 50 player at least - Primo has flashed a bit, so have Lonnie and Vassell. I kind of like Collins and Landale and hope we get a serviceable stretch 5 out of one of those 2. I bet we do. JRich would be a great shooter and secondary or tertiary ball handler on a ton of teams - I think he just needed the right fit. 

And - we should have some cap space to play with. Repeat something like the LMA signing (or even half a step below that) and we could have a fun little team next year that could potentially fight for a 5 or 6 spot. 

Yeah we aren't perennial WCF favorites like we used to be but things are moving in the right direction. I've just always hated the idea of tanking and embracing being shitty as it doesn't seem to align with the culture that's been built. I could be totally wrong on that but this has at least been an interesting little close to this season and could be a sign of some more fun to come. 

GSG

Substitute keldon for Lonnie and I agree with everything you said. I'm out on Lonnie getting it together at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Substitute keldon for Lonnie and I agree with everything you said. I'm out on Lonnie getting it together at this point.

Hah. I'm close to out on both of them to be honest. I think that Lonnie game winner swayed me. I was looking at what I typed and thought "hmm I didn't mention Keldon" then figured eh, whatever. 

Like I said about Jock and Collins - if we can bat .500 I'll take it. 

2022 NBA Draft Lottery Rankings

# TEAM REC   PCT GB   TOP 4  #1 OVR

ORL.  20-56  .263. --   52.1%   14.0%

HOU  20-56  .263  --   52.1%   14.0%

DET   20-55  .267  0.5  52.1%  14.0%

OKC   21-53  .284  2.0  48.1%   12.5%

IND    25-51   .329   5.0  42.1%   10.5%

SAC   27-49  .355   7.0   37.2%   9.0%

POR   27-47  .365   8.0   32.0%  7.5%

8  SA    31-44  .413   11.5   26.3%  6.0%

LAL   31-43  .419   12.0   20.3%  4.5%

10 NO  32-43  .427    12.5  13.9%  3.0%

11 WAS 32-42 .432   13.0    9.4%  2.0%

12 NY   34-42  .447   14.0    7.1%   1.5%

Washington and Lakers really sucking in March puts the Spurs in danger of dropping their Top 4 pick odds from  26.3%  to only 9.4%.  

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling