San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They caught the warriors napping. Second night of b2b in a big game vs Phoenix while the spurs rested, plus the early local start. By the time GSW woke up and cranked up the d it was too late. Great win for the team but this is no way to improve your draft position. 

I feel like with Pop we are never going to fully tank for a top 3 pick. Especially now that they've made it harder for teams up in the standings to get into the top 3. Right now we're the 7th worst team in the league (standings wise - I actually think we're better than a few teams ahead of us) and I don't really see us finishing worse than that. If we get the 2nd or 3rd pick I think it's because a ball bounces the right way - not because we sucked that hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not even mad with the results because the effort is there almost each and every night. Quite frankly there's so much baggage and drama with that comes along with most "stars" in the league these days that I want Buford, Wright, and Pop to continue building the way they want to build. I enjoy watching Murray and Lonnie, I love Pop, it's the 5th lowest paid squad, it's currently on track to be the 2nd lowest paid next season, and we have no all-stars. Not normally the recipe for success, but I still like watching the guys play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Primo getting some legit second quarter  minutes. Maybe they're extending the bench a bit since they have a back to back tomorrow. 

Yea, Thad already got 8 minutes.  Probably going deeper these next 2 nights.  Great to steal some minutes if you can.  Gotta pick it up from 3 in the 2nd half.

Primo is like 12 years old and has 15 combined minutes of NBA experience and has more court awareness than Lonnie. First play in, Lonnie fails to rotate and leaves Paul wide open for a missed 3, then he doesn't fill the lane right on a fast break and awkwardly travels. That lightbulb ain't ever coming on for him. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

If someone was to run and punch Crowder in the face as hard as they could, I would instantly understand. It could literally be anyone; his teammate, opposing teammate, fan, coach, transient. I would ask who got punched, and start nodding my head in agreement when informed that it was Crowder.

We don't suck. Large stretches of offense remain cancer but we are a legit top 10-12 defense. We're going to continue to make good teams sweat and occasionally win or even hammer the shit out of someone that comes out flat or just sucks. (We'll also occasionally get smoked)

Fat chance we don't get Pop the record. Then we can start bean counting and moving chess pieces. 

DJM at 16 a year is looking like it might be a bit criminal. 

Edited by ztejas

I know the object is to lose. That being said, Drew Eubanks is going to seriously injure someone in the court. He can’t rebound, can’t defend, can’t shoot, and has no coordination. How fucking bad does Landale have to be? Is Drew a fucking pity play? Even Forbes looks all-world on defense by comparison.

I went to the game last night. Fun time but I can't imagine how bad their ticket sales are. I was given 2 seats mid court 8 rows up. I think 75% of their club level seating is gonzo. 

Primo plays a much, much more mature game than his age justifies. Really impressive iq for the youngest player in the league. He needs reps with the ball in his hands but he's not going to get them with their current backcourt rotation and him stuck in the corner like Bruce Bowen. I hate to say it because he can contribute now, but he needs Austin time to get those opportunities. He's also much bigger than I thought he would be, not only height but he's got a sturdy build. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I went to the game last night. Fun time but I can't imagine how bad their ticket sales are. I was given 2 seats mid court 8 rows up. I think 75% of their club level seating is gonzo. 

Primo plays a much, much more mature game than his age justifies. Really impressive iq for the youngest player in the league. He needs reps with the ball in his hands but he's not going to get them with their current backcourt rotation and him stuck in the corner like Bruce Bowen. I hate to say it because he can contribute now, but he needs Austin time to get those opportunities. He's also much bigger than I thought he would be, not only height but he's got a sturdy build. 

Really weird times for my beloved Spurs. We need losses to get some good picks but they are close to being a good team. Always hate to see them lose but big picture it’s the best plan.

Glad we got rid of the veterans, loved them all but good to give them a chance for possible end of career glory and we now have a direction other than trying to be an 8th seed in the playoffs.

I wasn’t that high on the Primo pick and have since done a 180. Really excited about him now and I agree, spend the year mostly in Austin but move him up to the big show often to get him a good taste of the NBA.

To save the Spurs first we must destroy them.

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pretty shitty turnout for a team that's been playing good ball. 

Good ball is relative. This city is used to playing for rings and this is the least competitive team they've put on the floor since 1987. They've also been able to charge way above market value for tickets for years and people don't want to pay championship prices for a team destined for the lottery.

Throw in covid, Pop has alienated a decent number of folks with his political stuff, and right now in particular they are in the middle of a 5 game home stand and play the exact same team on Saturday. Even if you are a season ticket holder and a die hard, it's tough to go to 4 games in 6 days. When I had season tickets, it used to piss me off how they stacked home games around the rodeo for that same reason. I have no idea why they are doing it in December. I was offered 8 seats together in the club level for Sundays 6:00 game against the Pels and I'm probably not taking them. 

Denver on the second night of a back to back after playing OT in NOLA the night before, at the tail end of a 7 game roadie and the team is ravaged by injury plus a couple of dudes out with covid protocol. The Nugs have been bad on defense all year, but they were especially terrible getting back on defense and offered zero resistance at the rim. That was a schedule loss if there ever was one. Denver will probably beat the Spurs by 20 on Saturday.

8 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

they are in the middle of a 5 game home stand and play the exact same team on Saturday.

I get all of the other stuff. This makes a bit more sense. 

And this is better than the DRob injury year. And '89 and debatably '88 were actually worse, too.

But yes it's been few and far between the past 30 years. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Denver on the second night of a back to back after playing OT in NOLA the night before, at the tail end of a 7 game roadie and the team is ravaged by injury plus a couple of dudes out with covid protocol. The Nugs have been bad on defense all year, but they were especially terrible getting back on defense and offered zero resistance at the rim. That was a schedule loss if there ever was one. Denver will probably beat the Spurs by 20 on Saturday.

Pop isn't buying it. 

Obviously it helped though. And Denver still scored a ton of points. I think Saturday should be a good game. 

I know I tend to be hyperbolic, and most times it’s knee jerk, but goddamn Drew Eubanks sucks. Does anyone cringe when that dude is on the floor? Can someone explain to be (like I’m an idiot, which shouldn’t be too hard because I am) why you think he continues to get playing time over Landale? I understand why Young isn’t playing, but Landale? What am I missing? 

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling