Liberty Bowl: Miss St vs Texas Tech ESPN 5:45

WBT

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I had forgotten about that guy. What a strange time the 70’s were.  You had a guy like that whose whole act was basically what you see in that 30 second clip, and he got way more than 15 minutes of fame from it, appearing in TV shows and commercials for years doing that same schtick. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Well, Raytheon does have to do with defense.  Just not football.

The two things that Leach is good for are:

1 - Entertaining quotes to the media

2 - Publicly depantsing and making fun of aggy.

He should not be taken seriously otherwise. 

In fairness, #2 goes a long way with me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

I had forgotten about that guy. What a strange time the 70’s were.  You had a guy like that whose whole act was basically what you see in that 30 second clip, and he got way more than 15 minutes of fame from it, appearing in TV shows and commercials for years doing that same schtick. 

We didn't have VCRs. Most places didn't have movie theater megaplexes. Most people had fewer than 15 TV channel options. Most TV networks did not broadcast 24 hours a day. There was no internet. In other words, entertainment could be shitty because we didn't have many options.

Today, we have a lot of options and a lot of it is still shitty. Who the hell watches a screen saver on TV?! Someone obviously does.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We didn't have VCRs. Most places didn't have movie theater megaplexes. Most people had fewer than 15 TV channel options. Most TV networks did not broadcast 24 hours a day. There was no internet. In other words, entertainment could be shitty because we didn't have many options.

Today, we have a lot of options and a lot of it is still shitty. Who the hell watches a screen saver on TV?! Someone obviously does.

NGL... I will veg out to the Fire Stick screen saver with a record playing...  chill tf out.

14 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Deuce McAllister is the worst, what a hayseed dumbass SEC homer.

The whole game all he did was cry about MSU missing a few players, never once mentioning that we were starting our 3rd string QB, missing the best player on the team, and being led by a skeleton coaching staff that is scattering all over the country right after the game.

I thought he was pretty good, but it's possible that I thought that because I had just spent 3 hours listening to those guys calling the Auburn game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Leach is like that really drunk chick at the party.  She's fun to watch as long as she's not your girlfriend/wife

Good analogy.  

The further away he is, the more you can just be entertained by his trolling. 

To some extent, he’s poison to his conference as well.  There was a period where Leach had Tech fans 100% convinced that the refs were conspiring against them… even though during that exact time period - Tech was called for fewer penalties every year… despite throwing it 65 times a game while magically going years without committing holding vs future NFL defensive ends (Kindle, Orakpo).  

I have several Tech friends who still tell me every year before the game how they’re sure the refs will fix it for Texas “like always.”   It defies logic (and it defies the box score year after year), and I don’t think that started with Dykes or Tuberville or Kliffy or anyone else. 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Yep, under the monoculture back then there was so little content being produced, that a “kind of funny the first time or two you see it” bit would stick around a while. Today that would be the equivalent of a viral video that comes and goes in a week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just to add:

Despite what I just wrote, I still root for Tech in most every game they’re not playing Texas.  

There’s a scene in Blues Brothers where they’re talking about an old booking agent who got the band a bunch of big gigs and showcases, and they name several of those venues.   Then, as if tallying the score, Jake adds, “I got him laid.  He owes me.”

I’ve only been to Lubbock once.  It was the weekend of a UT game in the 90’s.  I had a great time.  So if we’re talking Tech, I owe them.  

3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I have several Tech friends who still tell me every year before the game how they’re sure the refs will fix it for Texas “like always.”   It defies logic (and it defies the box score year after year), and I don’t think that started with Dykes or Tuberville or Kliffy or anyone else. 

Fans from every team in the country love to wax on and on about how the refs all hate them.  We're as bad as anyone else when it comes to that.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

And Bob Dylan actually quoted part of that in Gotta Serve Somebody….

• Like 1