PBS Masterpiece

DDD Dad

Couldn't find a thread on this.  Seems like it would be good to have a place to keep up on new shows that come up on Masterpiece.

Happened to be watching PBS this morning in the rain and saw a trailer for a new (to me) series that's currently running - Around the World in 80 Days starring David Tennant.

Unfortunately I missed the first episode which apparently came out late last year.  Anyone else watching?  

Will probably buy the first episode on Amazon Prime and then keep up with the episodes currently airing on PBS (Sundays at 7pm CT).

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I think you can go to the PBS website and watch it for free at pbs.org. Google PBS.org/around the world in 80 days and you should be able to find it without buying anyting

I don't think back episodes are free on PBS TV app anymore.  They started a new subscription service there called passport.

Just checked the website.  Looks like you can watch it on the desktop.  Will see if I can cast it to TV.

Edited by DDD Dad

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

All Creatures Great and Small comes back tonight. Terrific show. 

If you have kids that love animals/interested in becoming a vet, I strongly recommend it. 

Watched the first season last year when I had covid and really enjoyed it.  I remember watching the old one when I was a kid, so that may have something to do with it.

10 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

Watched the first season last year when I had covid and really enjoyed it.  I remember watching the old one when I was a kid, so that may have something to do with it.

I haven't watched the original. How does it compare to this reiteration? I really enjoy the current cast. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I haven't watched the original. How does it compare to this reiteration? I really enjoy the current cast. 

I don't remember much of the story line from the original.  I young and my parents watched it.  Back then it was watch what is on the TV or do something else not related to TV.  I remember really being interested in the animals and vet part of it.  The one thing I do remember is that it was "peaceful" to watch compared to everything else.  I feel like this one has that vibe as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I logged into the PBS app for free on Roku through my gmail account. I really enjoyed the first two episodes of Around the World in 80 Days. Will definitely watch the whole season. 

Yep.  PBS app on my Samsung has all of the episodes.  Watched the first episode last night.

5 hours ago, RPM said:

For some reason my dvr didn't record ep 2. Will watch online tonight. I've always loved this story.

I thought it a little fanciful that they were in a hot air balloon crossing the Alps in street clothing.  Other than that minor nit, I very much enjoyed the first episode.

If you have a smart TV, Roku, or Fire/Apple TV you should be able to watch from PBS app.

Edited by DDD Dad

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 8:43 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Watching first episode of Around the World in 80 days and I'm reminded that I love David Tenet.

This is such a great retelling of a classic. I loved the David Niven movie and the Saturday morning cartoon. Tenet is a perfect Phileas Fogg.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, that comment led me to read the real James Herriott's wikipedia on his military service.

Wight enlisted in the RAF in November 1942. He did well in his training, and was one of the first in his flight to fly solo. After undergoing surgery on an anal fistula in July 1943, he was deemed unfit to fly combat aircraft and was discharged as a leading aircraftman the following November.

I wonder if the fistula will make the show.

Edited by WBT

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding All Creatures Great and Small, storm clouds on the horizon this week. Chamberlain and Hitler in a news reel. If James or Tristan dies in WWII, I’m going to lose my shit. 

Have you not read the books?

I won’t spoil it for you. 

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
I’ve read them all, and I loved them.

8 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Wasn't it a nice season finale? Just so sweetly done. We looked it up and they've signed on for two more seasons.

I think this is the next show we're going to watch.  Will go back to Season 1 and start from the beginning, though.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Around the World in 80 Days series.

I was out of the room, but I guess our station aired some behind the scenes stuff afterward and my husband said they talked about how great the dog that played Tricky was. I can't recall which book had Cedric the Farting Boxer, but that story had me howling with laughter so I hope it makes it into the series.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have the PBS Masterpiece App and have enjoyed it for the two years I have had it. I don’t watch any American TV anymore. PBS was awesome to me as a kid as well because we did not have cable due to living in the country. They always had interesting British shows like Benny Hill and Are You Being Served? Good memories. 

• 6 months later...