2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And pitching is a huge question mark 8 games in. Mike’s supposed forte 

Why do you think he went the transfer route  ?    Lack of talent,  prev committed to other schools, failure to recruit,  all of the above ?   Simpson appears to be the 2nd best pitcher behind Dolcini.   She has alot to learn but awesome pitch repertoire.    

5 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

How long do we give Mike?

He has a .771 overall win percentage,  every team has advanced to the super regionals.   5 CWS appearances but teams have never advanced beyond semifinals.

Reports were he signed a 5 year contract which would expire in '23.    not sure,  I think salary is about 450K.     Will be interesting to see if he wants to face the SEC gauntlet,  though I believe he is in the top 5 or 10 salary wise.  He seems to be the type always looking for opportunities.

Previously,  he had outstanding assistants (Jimmy Kolaitis, Chelsea Spencer) and that may be showing.   Singleton seems to be a good hitting coach but not sure why the other asst (Megan Bartlett) was hired.   Midwest connections,  not sure of her forte other than being a ND grad with a J.D. from Northern Illinois.

tl:dr;   No idea

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yup. Maybe we will be anti-Connie. Start slow, finish better. Too many years starting great and tapering off. 
(not holding my breath)

I'm gonna hold out hope it's just a bad start.

Men's baseball had the bad series in H-town last year, and figured things out as the season went on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

2-6

Miserable day. 2-3 would “successful” this weekend 

Screw that, don’t lower expectations just because we’re shittier than once thought. Winning 2 of the last 3 games in Clearwater could be something to build on but still a failure of a tournament. We have to win our final 3 games this weekend for it not to be a bust imo

Edited by perfectchaos007

6 hours ago, torre said:

Ok St ace Kelly Maxwell pitched a 1 hit shutout vs Michigan.    4-0 Ok St.    Ok St is tough.

Watched this game, just prior to  the Horns shitshow Vs FSU. Ok State is legit. I will try and post more pics when I get home tonight, but right now I am heading out for a steak and several beers.Texas has got to find a way to play defense, or we will finish middle of the pack in the Big XII

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

Watched this game, just prior to  the Horns shitshow Vs FSU. Ok State is legit. I will try and post more pics when I get home tonight, but right now I am heading out for a steak and several beers.Texas has got to find a way to play defense, or we will finish middle of the pack in the Big XII

I may have spoken too soon.

Ok St routed by LSU 10-2.     Miranda started 3.1 IP/3R/4BB/2K/65 pitches

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

Better defense is coaching and hard practice work by the players... just no excuse for the shitty defense on display from this Texas softball team so far this season.  

• Hook 'Em 2

So not really locked and loaded I guess.  

I haven't had as much time as I'd like to follow the team this year, and it looks like that's been a good thing.

I guess I've come to expect shaky defense with White. He values hitting, and he recruits and sets lineups accordingly. I'm ok with valuing hitting over defense . . . to a point.

Putting that aside, though, the biggest surprise is our pitching. Why is it so bad?  That's his expertise.  Shea looks like she's carrying over the tradition from our football team of peaking as a freshman. Frankly, even Elish looked like she declined every year she was here. Seems like it has to be mental.

I'm baffled.  

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

So not really locked and loaded I guess.   I guess I've come to expect shaky defense with White. He values hitting, and he recruits and sets lineups accordingly. I'm ok with valuing hitting over defense . . . to a point.  Putting that aside, though, the biggest surprise is our pitching. Why is it so bad?  That's his expertise.  Shea looks like she's carrying over the tradition from our football team of peaking as a freshman. Frankly, even Elish looked like she declined every year she was here. Seems like it has to be mental.

I'm baffled.  

giphy.gif