HVAC system balance

in the winter the down stairs (split level home, 1\2 buried in the side of a hill) is cold as hell and to heat it up the upstairs (main living and master) are way to hot. Summer the downstairs is cold as hell and the upstairs is comfortable.  Seems the system isnt balanced or maybe just need a second unit? Is balanceing the system or redsiging the duct work a major issue in that i need a competent HVAC guy or is this like changing the oil for a master mechanic?   Seems ive seen that it takes specific know how to properly balance or design duct work. 

24 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

in the winter the down stairs (split level home, 1\2 buried in the side of a hill) is cold as hell and to heat it up the upstairs (main living and master) are way to hot. Summer the downstairs is cold as hell and the upstairs is comfortable.  Seems the system isnt balanced or maybe just need a second unit? Is balanceing the system or redsiging the duct work a major issue in that i need a competent HVAC guy or is this like changing the oil for a master mechanic?   Seems ive seen that it takes specific know how to properly balance or design duct work. 

Unless you have engineered the required supply and return at each register, have a duct system that has balancing dampers, and own a balancing hood, I'd listen to SBB.

Unless you have engineered the required supply and return at each register, have a duct system that has balancing dampers, and own a balancing hood, I'd listen to SBB.
That is the a. I paid a bunch to have a reputable co measure each vent, replace wall/add ceiling intakes, and add two new "damper zones"/thermostats to fix problems with my initial layout.

Shit used to blow off the counter in kitchen the system was so unbalanced. Haven't thought about it in years afterwards, though.

I just had to replace my downstairs unit. It never really worked right in the three years I’ve owned the house. I had it worked on twice by different people who just charged me out the ass and didn’t make it any better. This last guy said it looked like my unit was installed by a drunken blind man. The coils were mismatched to the unit, the ducts were all fucked up, and the return air was upstairs instead of downstairs. I bit the bullet and replaced the unit, the duct work, and had a return air put in downstairs. It cost me some arm and a leg and my left nut, but shit works like a charm now.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:17 PM, Okie State said:

My old house had a single unit for multiple levels, but it had the ability to open and close ducts for each level directly beyond the fan.

After some thought and a little internet sleuthing I’m hoping that is the route I can go. I’m in Portland. We need ac maybe two months a year here. Heater is another thing but no one lives downstairs so we could get by shutting it down all together or putting in a portable heater the 3-4 times a year someone comes over and stays. 

After some thought and a little internet sleuthing I’m hoping that is the route I can go. I’m in Portland. We need ac maybe two months a year here. Heater is another thing but no one lives downstairs so we could get by shutting it down all together or putting in a portable heater the 3-4 times a year someone comes over and stays. 
You should be able to easily have it as a 2 zone system. Sounds like that is what someone tried to do but screwed up

Speaking stupid returns, for some reason my first floor return is split, one large one in the hallway and a very small return at the other end of the hallway in the bedroom ceiling.  The hallways ceiling height is 9' and easily accessible with a small step ladder, the bedroom return is in the 14' ceiling.  Yeah, that's real fucking convenient when I have to change the filter assholes.

As far as balancing, I have a hot spot in my office and a cold spot in one of the bedrooms. I installed ecobee thermostats with remote sensor detectors throughout the house. Program the active sensors based room occupancy (motion detection and pre-programmed).  Makes the office reasonable but still not balanced.  Might be a solution if there are parts of the house that get the primary occupancy during different parts of the day. 

2 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Off topic, but I don't think it warrants another thread, anyone have experience with mini-split units? Seems like it would make sense to cool only the bedroom at night rather than the whole house.

my dad had one in their converted sun room. It worked well for their application.