Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado

Parliament

Just saw this. I liked it but I don't know what Brolin was thinking with putting the girl in witness protection at the end. She never gave any indication she doesn't want to be reunited with her parents. She'll just disappear and call dad to send someone to pick her up.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:33 PM, CooterBrown said:

Just saw this. I liked it but I don't know what Brolin was thinking with putting the girl in witness protection at the end. She never gave any indication she doesn't want to be reunited with her parents. She'll just disappear and call dad to send someone to pick her up.

we don’t know what they did with the girl.  

also, I may have misheard it but something brolin says to keener seemed to be pretty fucking profound.  when she tells him that BDT has to be eliminated brolin replies “do you have any idea how hard he was to make?” (I think that’s what he said).  she then says something about tons of grieving fathers in mexico or some shit.  so did brolin and his guys kill BDT’s family and frame the cartels for the murders to manipulate BDT into working for them against the cartels?  if that’s true I’d imagine that things will definitely end poorly for brolin in the third one, as someone has already stated. 

Edited by futureman

12 hours ago, futureman said:

also, I may have misheard it but something brolin says to keener seemed to be pretty fucking profound.  when she tells him that BDT has to be eliminated brolin replies “do you have any idea how hard he was to make?” (I think that’s what he said).  she then says something about tons of grieving fathers in mexico or some shit.  so did brolin and his guys kill BDT’s family and frame the cartels for the murders to manipulate BDT into working for them against the cartels?  if that’s true I’d imagine that things will definitely end poorly for brolin in the third one, as someone has already stated. 

Yes, you heard Brolin's character correct.  And while it's possible that the reference to "making" Alejandro (BDT's character) could have involved something as sinister as killing his family and framing Alarcon for the murders, a more plausible explanation is that after Alejandro's family was killed, Brolin's character simply recruited him and put him through the training he needed to become a sicario (assassin) -- thereby essentially "making" him into what he is now. 

There's a reference in Day of the Soldado to the fact that Alejandro was a lawyer before he became a sicario.  (I've seen references on the interwebs to Alejandro being a tax inspector and prosecutor in his "former life" before his family was killed.)  If he was, in fact, a lawyer, I doubt he would have had the skills he needed to become a sicario.  I think he probably underwent a serious transformation and training after the murder of his family.  And it's possible that the CIA had a hand in that transformation/training before Alejandro started working for the Medellin Cartel and later the U.S. government.  That's just my own supposition.  It's possible that the reference to "making" him involved something more twisted. 

Edited by Carl Spackler

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Saw both of these during the last few months, one courtesy of AA and one for $0.27 courtesy of a Redbox coupon. I really enjoyed both plot holes aside. Like mentioned above, the one thing that really drove me nuts was the final timelines: 1) the copters being 15 minutes out but somehow night turned to mid-day during that time; 2) the Matamoros guys drove for 15 minutes (or three days by the helicopter timeline) and end up in the same place they shot Alejandro?; 3) why wouldn't they just return the girl secretly vs. WPP?

Curious to see what #3 brings - I guess Alejandro vs. Matt. I get a little bubblegum, but I wanted Matt to have to chopper go get his body and find him alive ... sue me for needing a clean happy ending.

Overall, fun popcorn movies - good action flicks with cool actors without dumbass shaky cameras and gratuitous CGI, which is rare these days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

These are causing me to lose respect for Sheridan.  And BDT.  I like Brolin but he's mostly a schlockjock.

I’m no insider but I read that sheridan’s script for sicario 2 was butchered by the studio.  maybe he wrote it better than what was filmed.  I did still thoroughly enjoy it. 

I dunno, when it ended, I was like wtf?  Just a bunch of shootemup scenes that could have been lifted from the first one, strung together with lame bits of indignant dialog between soldier types and bureaucrat types.  The first one at least tried to say something.

I'm a big fan of Traffic, and I have seen it recently so this looks like dogshit.

This was a good movie until they said fuck it with the continuity toward the end. They lost 12 hours in flight. Regardless, I want to BdT return to finish this. I didn't realize until this movie that it was his story.

Edited by RPM
redundant phrase is redundanty

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

This was a good movie until the end when they said fuck it with the continuity toward the end. They lost 12 hours in flight. Regardless, I want to BdT return to finish this. I didn't realize until this movie that it was his story.

I guess that's it. Started off fairly strong if a little cliched, then kind of went wonky toward the end.  On first viewing I was really wtfed at the end.  Somehow, the second viewing with extended BDT made it less startling. And I guess if you know the real story is BDTs then maybe it is not so abrupt. 

Not sure why these two films have created such dissatisfaction for me. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 1 month later...

Saw this originally in the theater and was disappointed.  I thought the taking care of the girl angle was boring and moved too far away from the original.

But I caught it today on cable and I've changed my mind. The kid really didn't take too much away from the overall story.  If you watch it as a standalone it's a pretty fucking good movie.  Yeah the ending has issues, but from beginning to end it would be considered very good if not compared to the original.

The part where BdT signed with the farmer hit me in the feels.

Edited by Mach 1