Liverpool 2018-19 ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!!!

Firemans4Horn

1 hour ago, Jograves said:

Why won’t it be Clyne?

Probably will be. For some reason I thought Clyne had been on World Cup duty. I haven't watched much of our preseason and read that he'd left the squad for his son's birth, so coupled with Camacho's rather incredible performances, I honestly think he might be our best option from the get-go.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Is Sturridge gonna stick around? Haven’t heard anything on him and he has looked good in preseason

I'd be pretty surprised if he got sold. He's not going to want to go to a mid/lower table club and no top club is going to pay us a big enough fee to make it worth our while to sell him. Maybe he can give us 25 games this year. He and Shaqiri looked fantastic together yesterday.

from the times (behind a paywall)...

Jürgen Klopp likes Christian Pulisic but the numbers do not stack up for Liverpool

Paul Joyce, Northern Football Correspondent
August 1 2018, 12:00pm, The Times

Before Manchester United departed their angst-ridden tour of the United States, there was still time for José Mourinho to offer up one more utterance which sharpened the contrast between himself and Jürgen Klopp.

The United manager was discussing transfers and attempting to explain why a tantrum is never seemingly far away while the window remains open.

“In every pre-season it happens the same, with every club, which is that the manager wants more,” said Mourinho. “It’s our nature, you always want more for your team.”

Klopp, however, does not want more. He publicly stated as much after the friendly win over Blackburn Rovers on July 20 and we only have to wait eight more days to find out if the Liverpool manager is a man of his word.

It will mean no Nabil Fekir — the Lyons attacker’s failed medical put paid to that — and no late bid for Christian Pulisic despite the noise surrounding the American international.

It is almost two years since Liverpool bid about £11 million for Pulisic, then a highly-rated 17-year-old. The offer was dismissed and the way his value has soared to £62 million, the reputed figure at which Borussia Dortmund would consider doing business, suggests a talent who has made remarkable strides in the interim.

But if you crunch the numbers, then it becomes clear why Liverpool — and specifically Klopp, given his inside knowledge of the player and his former club — would baulk at making a bid at that price.

In the past two seasons, Pulisic has scored seven goals and provided 14 assists in the Bundesliga. In some quarters that will not been viewed as too bad given that he does not turn 20 until next month (English team-mate Jadon Sancho, 18, scored once and produced four assists in 12 top flight games last term).

Yet Liverpool would not countenance paying £62million for a player to sit on the bench and those playing statistics indicate that Pulisic, adept on either wing and also as a No 10, would be some way behind a regular starting place at Anfield.

To pay that sort of money, Klopp would have to be buying someone whom he planned to start more often than not and Pulisic is not at that point in his career irrespective of what he, himself, might think.

Mohamed Salah scored 32 goals and produced 11 assists in the Premier League last season, Roberto Firmino 15 and seven respectively and Sadio Mané ten and seven. The bar is set higher than it has been in a long time.

For more context, Xherdan Shaqiri has scored 12 goals and delivered nine assists in two Premier League seasons at Stoke City. He is 26, of course, but cost £13.5 million.

Scratch a little further and Pulisic scored once in his final 19 appearances of the 2017-18 campaign and completed 90 minutes on just four occasions.

Still, Pulisic is a player that Klopp likes, so what happens next?

On the one hand, he pushes on and improves his output and productivity because Liverpool have shown this year with Virgil van Dijk, Naby Keïta and Alisson that they are not averse to paying big money for players they believe will come into the starting XI.

Alternatively, he sits tight on a contract which has two years left to run in the expectation that Dortmund would have to sell him for a reduced fee next summer rather than risk losing him for nothing.

Liverpool will continue to monitor the talent, but unless the numbers start stacking up on the pitch then there is no guarantee they will lead the chase.

Agree. That's a lot of money for a guy who only scored 4 goals and had 5 assists in the Bundesliga last year. So the extra money would more be to increase your brand in America, something LFC isn't having a tough time with given LFC games were all the biggest draws last year on NBC, IIRC. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Agree. That's a lot of money for a guy who only scored 4 goals and 5 assists in the Bundesliga last year. So the extra money would more be to increase your brand in America, something LFC isn't having a tough time with given LFC games were all the biggest draws last year on NBC, IIRC. 

The only advantage that we'd have is that we have SO many games this year (EPL, CUP, CL) that he could easily get 50% of the play time his agent is demanding.

I’ve spent the last couple of years watching the Premiere league aimlessly, not sure who I wanted to follow. It’s not much fun with no horse in the race. 

I’m gonna hop on the Liverpool train full bore this season. Partly because Bob Sturm is my leader, Steven Gerrard is a beast, and I once banged a chick from Liverpool. Also, their mobile app is by far the best I’ve come across. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Constant said:

I’ve spent the last couple of years watching the Premiere league aimlessly, not sure who I wanted to follow. It’s not much fun with no horse in the race. 

I’m gonna hop on the Liverpool train full bore this season. Partly because Bob Sturm is my leader, Steven Gerrard is a beast, and I once banged a chick from Liverpool. Also, their mobile app is by far the best I’ve come across. 

Welcome aboard. Prepare to enjoy the best of times/worst of times. 

4 hours ago, Constant said:

That's probably the most legit reason on this forum of why you got to be a Liverpool supporter. 

Game is on the Eleven sports network (whatever the fuck that is) 623 on DirecTV

2-1 HT

Fabinho misses a PK badly not even on target

Firmino 1-0 doing what he does best nice pass from Mo

Wijnaldum 2-0 great pass from Firmino

Belloti 2-1 gets one back Phillips fucks up

Edited by JimmyHoffa

8 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Game is on the Eleven sports network (whatever the fuck that is) 623 on DirecTV

2-1 HT

Fabinho misses a PK badly not even on target

Fermino 1-0 doing what he does best nice pass from Mo

Wijnaldum 2-0 great pass from Fermino

Belloti 2-1 gets one back Phillips fucks up

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Daniel seems properly dialed in and definitely trying to get his job back. Can't wait for Sunday. 

He really looks in shape and ready to go. I want him to stay healthy because he can change a game off the bench for us. He scores so many different ways. 

12 hours ago, Constant said:

Download FotMob

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jograves said:

He really looks in shape and ready to go. I want him to stay healthy because he can change a game off the bench for us. He scores so many different ways. 

A healthy Sturridge and we win the league. He’s not as pacey anymore but he’s still got great feet, clinical shooting, and his positional sense for goals is incredible at times.