Xbox one or ps4

Gardner Barnes

I’m building a game room.  Which console should be the primary hub for games and also streaming TV and shit?  The TV will be a high end 4K UHD model and the sound in the room will be good as well.

That said, we have never been much of a gaming family - although this is mostly because I loved playing GTA on the PS2 we have in the main room but had to stop because small kids and the like. 

The wife did not appreciate my proclivity for steling virtual cars and beating up virtual whores.  

I am am sure I can google this, but I appreciate the advise of you degenerates. 

^Better answer (Sony's 4K console is the Playstation 4 Pro), it can act as a set-top box too, but it is still designed to be a game console first and foremost, so the UI can be clunky to get it to show live TV, it also doesn't help that they try to steer you towards their Playstation tv service.

Edited by MillerEP

Yeah, I'd personally recommend the Xbox One X to cover your streaming and third-party gaming, but I know a lot of people like the PS exclusives. To take advantage of their 4K games, you'd want the PS4 Pro. If you have kids and their friends play games, see which system most of them have and go with that brand.

You really can’t go wrong with either at this point. They both have advantages. There are a few exclusive games to each console but if you aren’t a big gamer then you probably won’t notice. 

If you enjoy Baseball games then PlayStation. 

Hmm, never had any problems with bluray playback on my One X through my receiver. Don't have an OLED, but a 4K HDR Samsung QLED. I know they've updated the One X recently because it did have color issues when playing blurays in HDR, but it should be all good now.

Are your kids going to be gaming on it? If so, find out which console their friends are using. If you don't and buy the 'wrong' console, you are going to end up buying the 'right' one later. Kids don't care about Blu ray or streaming video. They care about party chat with their friends.

I have both but the Xbox One X has almost completely taken over. PS4 exclusives rock, but for the other 95% of games, the XB1X has been the consistently superior platform.

There really is no wrong answer. Both systems deserve all the praise they receive.

14 hours ago, bernorange said:

Are your kids going to be gaming on it? If so, find out which console their friends are using. If you don't and buy the 'wrong' console, you are going to end up buying the 'right' one later. Kids don't care about Blu ray or streaming video. They care about party chat with their friends.

This is the correct answer.

On 3/25/2018 at 9:30 PM, MillerEP said:

I have both too, and enjoy them both equally. Both will work, but you specifically asked about it being a primary hub for gaming and tv/streaming, so I'd lean more towards the Xbox because that's one of its upfront features.

I would agree with this. Xbox is better as a hub, ps4 is better for exclusives (for many). 

Well, if you like iPhone, then XBox is for you. You know - tech that comes out a year or more after the major competition has already been doing it. 

If you've waited this long, just pick up a used console and wait for the PS5 to come out late next year. 

PS4, and I say that as an Xbox One owner. It's not that the Xbox isn't a great gaming machine, but I'm still pissed that I chose the XB1 due to promises that it would be an "all in one" machine, but it turns out Sony is the one who did it better.

I use PS Vue for my tv watching needs, but run it through 4 separate Roku streaming sticks attached to each tv in the house, but only one PSvue account is needed. Yep, cord cutting is the way to go until the cable companies start raping people on internet costs. (More than they already do, the U.S. has the highest average broadband costs in the developed world)

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

If you are getting a 4K TV with HDR (which should be a no brainer for a new media room at current prices for 4K HDR TVs; I just bought two 65" 4K HDR LG 8000 TVs for ~~ $1k each at zero percent interest at Nebraska Furniture Mart for 3 years), then you should future proof with the XBOX One X.  It is 40% more powerful than even the PS4 Pro.  Here is a good write up comparing the XBOX One X to the PS4 Pro:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/xbox-one-x-vs-ps4-pro/

PS5 does not have a release date. Speculation is 2019 or 2020, likely closer to Christmas in either year. That is a long time to wait to fill out your media room gaming system. By that logic, he should wait for XBOX Two or PS6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk