She’s Better Topless: Jeep Thread

Archer

21 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't really know anything about that diesel motor.  I assume it would at least help with towing and mpg numbers, so at least maybe that part wouldn't just piss you off when you saw it.  The 392 might be a little TOO much, but it really needs some help in pretty much every "engine" category.   

I really like that truck, but since we're going to be doing more travelling around these days, it just didn't make sense to keep it when the replacement (F-150 Lariat FX4 with the 3.5 hybrid) is so much better for so many things.

Oh you don't have to convince me, I love my F150 with the FX4 and the the 3.5 ecoboost.  No experience with the hybrid but I really love my truck.  I'm glad we have both that, and the Wrangler Rubicon.  The 3.6L works fine for us but I suppose the JT probably weighs a bit more.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh you don't have to convince me, I love my F150 with the FX4 and the the 3.5 ecoboost.  No experience with the hybrid but I really love my truck.  I'm glad we have both that, and the Wrangler Rubicon.  The 3.6L works fine for us but I suppose the JT probably weighs a bit more.

Oh nice, yeah you know exactly what I'm talking about re: the differences.

My wife has an Overland Sport (you can see the top of it in the background of that photo), and I actually traded in a same year 80th Anniversary JT for this Mojave, and both are/were mostly fine with the same engine.  I don't need it to be fast, because....well it's a Jeep, but damn.  In fact, I took my "old" one on this same trip up 281 to DFW and was fine enough with it that I got the blue one when they offered me a bunch of $$ for it to trade it in.  I was thinking it was the same thing, just even cooler.  Should have kept that one, I guess.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

• 2 months later...
Just joined the Jeep familia. Unmolested 2 dr 2015 JK with 23k miles, a service history. and new tires. Not sure yet what I’m going to do it but it’s primarily gonna be a high schoolers back and forth car so the street rubber will remain for now. Maybe a small lift? What do you all recommend?
Also will likely do “angry eyes” just cuz and a permanent sun shade if anyone has any recs there. 55b5ee13a63a02d80f4ec6fbd0fa6af9.jpg
c3d7d5570232be919ea9f62c59a25373.jpg

Been a fun year getting to know her. Recent mods include a 2.5” monotube Rubicon Express lift, JL Rubicon wheels with 315/70’s, upgraded head unit and speakers all around, a Spider bikini shade, LED headlights, and yes, angry eyes. The kids love it. Gonna be my daughter’s daily in a couple months but enjoying it in the meantime. 056fe16668296b07e127647d66db6d44.jpg

03f06375be1d2bfc837ad70ca35abba1.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not to disrupt the great pictures, and I don't want to dissuade people from buying a jeep...but...Has anyone experienced the "Death Wobble" ? I'd heard of it and unfortunately experienced it recently. Not pleasant.  I took it to the dealership and the service advisor and the mechanic said it wasn't the wobble, but the tires were out of balance.  Had them do that but it didn't fix the issue, in fact it was worse when it happened.  I was able to catch it on video and took it to a different service guy since the first one didn't return any of about 8 messages.  Showed him the video and he said right away that it definitely was the wobble. 

Service guy said the steering damper was installed backwards by the factory.  Pisses me off that this is a widely known issue and it's not a recall, but I'm under 36k so the warranty covered it. 

4 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Not to disrupt the great pictures, and I don't want to dissuade people from buying a jeep...but...Has anyone experienced the "Death Wobble" ? I'd heard of it and unfortunately experienced it recently. Not pleasant.  I took it to the dealership and the service advisor and the mechanic said it wasn't the wobble, but the tires were out of balance.  Had them do that but it didn't fix the issue, in fact it was worse when it happened.  I was able to catch it on video and took it to a different service guy since the first one didn't return any of about 8 messages.  Showed him the video and he said right away that it definitely was the wobble. 

Service guy said the steering damper was installed backwards by the factory.  Pisses me off that this is a widely known issue and it's not a recall, but I'm under 36k so the warranty covered it. 

Yep. My 2001 TJ had the same thing last year due to an improperly balanced replacement front tire. I had to drive a max of 45mph all the fucking way from Mazatlan to Puebla. Anything over 45 was a near death experience. Plus I got a nice fucking blowout on the side of the highway near Guadalajara that took 3 hours to change.

ADCreHfar8VQCjZ2c6quRA5oNdL7J1wOE1jCwU0PHNCpq9K5Buy_HLxtwIEEVYuCcnTzuV78eOTeC5qQf1K2gzp3_jTv6llsq5o5jcH8RzBDostk6RGGMX4pycfY_xNOC-QO4mkSM6LqLKwMtPdmhjTRIX223_7fd8DZOyZd1GPjJA8jHyu0GWSgeUJ0AnIbVDWuYPSxTLdKgo3xvCUs8_L6g6_Eh0OWgOgWg5pSF-g3q9QykwGNvrEMfIgnd7X2A4I1PN8-cgZAJxhl6rA9PDl_tyIB94ckBs8FxGKff4g-7tWIOcwitb7fQEe5qYjb_ZGfrMtURCMnk-Ia2SYRDYE_W0qw8NpcwXrbNjOrR2_MTUWS_nNCnq9MOYrE-ncKkLr8kYh1_Iw6YiX-alWzNBwwuKuV7AeQ-U__s2owFjm9jT23xtk4ApfPGWqufca2_taHIkuktKqMxS4zXu9acQm1p6YoJUFI_jvYmnjw3aDptkf92tZ-52O_xd0XpuuqGwdNIOOD5qMGB-dusOYEg3u2Ot2fLix_bbLDOAXeK452aE3QZUwtj0hVsp8bOfAxIFBQnLMKKw0zBz_21JHJ1QhtB_5-yico_Xzy625u2ckA3TdrQHeevdClfsthViQSZD9PKt_-hC68xluMSHecnh-nN_qtWwTei2eshWVuFAdkWxJsd7fEuz6Ni3onxhNY_N4gWK4UiulvMtMOGXQ6ld5IjnV5khpLvptgZ3gZaWXUIE7RWO0VIaMy4DIhz941TRTQ74I9mtgVIjm1JJOGoBpLxFv3RacLlmRCkD3RNe19O99WqFLg6GpBcq7DnJ-X_qLOOlVMMv49pB15QizYBebWOnsKNt4CNPUCMxtzYlXzkO0jbUavl1M8xJsL_Dal5YAf_0HHq9X0SN1CyUrM4dyEhUrSpEEmx5uyuLrBzCBML2jdDXgbVBzeVJcJrEf5uLu-Fnmytq96RGkeuDnTKLWLf2sgnaUrbO5b-wA=w524-h931-s-no?authuser=0

We haven't had the wobble.

My brother did on his 2014 JKU.  But that Jeep also had a 3" aftermarket lift on it so the dealer/factory guys said they couldn't do anything about it.  He took it to a Jeep/offroad specific shop and they were able to fix it with no problems.  Not sure what they did but I could ask if you're interested.

• 2 months later...

Should have bumped this thread...

Wife is on her third Jeep... had a JK then a JL Willys and now we have a JL 4xe Sahara.  Anyway, Jeep has been in our hands less than 2 weeks and today it was dead as a doornail.  Come to find out lots of newish Jeeps have battery issues (referring to 12V, not the lithium ion).  Anyone else had this issue.  Trying to jump it and get it to the dealer and I want her to ask them to replace the OEM.  Thoughts?

Did you have any issues on the JK or JL?  I ask because the 4xe has a whole host of other electrical challenges so I'm not sure it'd be comparable to a brand new JL of the same year.

As I responded on the other thread, we've had our 2017 JKU since 2020 and no unusual battery issues on it.  We had to replace the original battery at 5 years but there's nothing unusual about that, if anything it lasted  longer than expected.

Edited by utee94

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Did you have any issues on the JK or JL?  I ask because the 4xe has a whole host of other electrical challenges so I'm not sure it'd be comparable to a brand new JL of the same year.

As I responded on the other thread, we've had our 2017 JKU since 2020 and no unusual battery issues on it.  We had to replace the original battery at 5 years but there's nothing unusual about that, if anything it lasted  longer than expected.

We never did.  I've heard of Li issues on the 4xe but I think they're actually separate... yay!

So, I finally bought a jeep. Blue 2020 wrangler unlimited sport with a soft top and manual transmission. Low miles. I have two weeks to return it if I don’t like it. This is a third car that will be my kid’s first car in a year or two.

Help me:

How should I figure out if there is something wrong with it?

What kind of mods should I do? I don’t want anything extreme. I really wanted a Willys but this one was so much cheaper, so I thought about making some changes to make it look like a Willys. Mostly, some chunkier tires. I also need to figure out the phone mounting and integration.

IMG_5745.jpeg

IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5747.jpeg

IMG_5748.jpeg

IMG_5749.jpeg

IMG_5750.jpeg

IMG_5751.jpeg

IMG_5752.jpeg

IMG_5753.jpeg

IMG_5754.jpeg

IMG_5755.jpeg

Edited by NoRagrets

I’m not looking to lift it, but maybe level it. Thoughts on that?

If I upgrade the stereo, is it going to get stolen by easily inviting a bad guy to cut the soft top open?

any secret to keeping the windshield from getting cracks or chips?

with a soft top, is it worth getting one of those Bimini style tops?

I have so many questions!

A couple of the relatively cheap upgrades I got for my soft top Gladiator:

Soft top headliner - keeps your dome from boiling in summer and freezing in winter. Attaches to stiffeners with 3M velcro patches - easy:

https://store.dirtydog4x4.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=139_141&product_id=627

Passenger grab bar tray:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/grab-bar-tray-jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

Phone mount:

https://www.proclipusa.com/products/855431-proclip-center-mount-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-20xx-jeep-gladiator-2020-20xx

Trail mirrors for when the doors come off:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/lange-originals/coyote-mirror-pair-wrangler-jl-MJL-800

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/28/2024 at 9:13 AM, NoRagrets said:

I’m not looking to lift it, but maybe level it. Thoughts on that?

Do Jeeps really need a level?  They're not intentionally raked like a pickup, so not sure other than a Gladiator, that any Wrangler would need that?

If I upgrade the stereo, is it going to get stolen by easily inviting a bad guy to cut the soft top open?

Not sure about this.  We have the stock stereo for our 2017 Rubicon, which is decent enough.  I added pods and kickers to the front, and an amp, pods, and kickers to the back.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/jku-pods-0717.html?utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+Vehicle+Medium+LTVMiddle&dialogtech=ppc&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAtt2tBhBDEiwALZuhAEdJhYOejPK-9SXjbopzpWg9cKeFczHiP0IJcPJSYP5JLseBJ5ObohoCBlYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.extremeterrain.com/versa-pods-8717.html

any secret to keeping the windshield from getting cracks or chips?

It's almost vertical.  Cracks and chips are the way.  If there's a solution, I sure don't know about it.

with a soft top, is it worth getting one of those Bimini style tops?

We have one and it's great.  We just leave it on, both our soft top and hard top fit right over it.  We have one that goes the full-length of the 4-door cabin, but you can get ones that are separate for the front or back.  Spidershade is one of the top brands and they're a little pricey,  but I just bought an Amazon special, a lot cheaper and does the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Unlimited-Bimini-Bikini-Shield/dp/B07R7BVN35/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1Y74RYHO5WW1F&keywords=jeep+wrangler+bimini+sunshade&qid=1706542421&sprefix=jeep+wrangler+bimini+sunshad%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-13

I have so many questions!

Responses above in red.  Enjoy your Jeep!

• Hook 'Em 1

Update - the blue Jeep had rust all over it, even on the inside. It was obviously a beach Jeep that wasn’t maintained well. Pivoting to another Jeep that just came in. It’s a sport S with a hard top and brand new Goodyear wranglers for $1000 more than the base sport that was rusted.

So, any specific suggestions for a hard top? Should I consider an aftermarket soft top for good weather seasons?

Thanks in advance for the help, Surly Jeep Community.

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Update - the blue Jeep had rust all over it, even on the inside. It was obviously a beach Jeep that wasn’t maintained well. Pivoting to another Jeep that just came in. It’s a sport S with a hard top and brand new Goodyear wranglers for $1000 more than the base sport that was rusted.

So, any specific suggestions for a hard top? Should I consider an aftermarket soft top for good weather seasons?

I like having both a hard top and a soft top.  We usually run the hard top in DEC-FEB, and use the soft top the rest of the year.  Aftermarket soft tops run from $1,000 to $2,000.  Bestop makes the OEM version that brand new Jeeps ship with, and most folks (including me) recommend sticking with Bestop for aftermarket.

This is the one we have, I like the sporty slant-back better than the OG squared back, but it's totally a matter of personal preference.  

https://www.extremeterrain.com/bestop-trek-nx-glide-soft-top-blk-twill-4dr-0717-jk.html

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, and for the past few years, Bestop has run a mail-in rebate program in the spring/early summer.  Between $100-$150 off with proof of purchase.  We got $150 back on ours 3 years ago.  So if you end up deciding to go that route, start looking for the rebates to show up in March or April.  Hopefully they'll renew the program this year.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

Oh, and for the past few years, Bestop has run a mail-in rebate program in the spring/early summer.  Between $100-$150 off with proof of purchase.  We got $150 back on ours 3 years ago.  So if you end up deciding to go that route, start looking for the rebates to show up in March or April.  Hopefully they'll renew the program this year.

I’m really starting to wish this was going to be my third car forever and not my son’s car in 13 months…

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/4/2024 at 10:07 AM, NoRagrets said:

Has anyone upgraded the headlights to LED?

I can’t go back to those old school halogens. They just suck. 

I got these for Christmas. Big, big difference over my factory halogens. There are certainly more expensive options but I'm happy with them so far:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/tactik/9-in-led-headlight-drl-halo-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-tt-led-drl-halo-9

I also splurged and got a pair of Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fogs in amber. They are absolutely awesome:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/diode-dynamics/ss3-led-fog-light-kit-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt-sport/ms-pro-yellow-sae-fog-dd6581

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

This thread needs more activity because I refuse to join one of those weird jeep sites. 

OK, git your Jeep and start the mods, then post pics!

We've probably done all the mods we're going to.  About a year ago we wore out the stock tires and moved up to 35s.  You can do that on a stock Rubicon because it already comes with a bit of a factory lift compared to the other trim packages.  I think some of the brand-new Rubis are even coming with 35s as a factory option, I'm guessing it's as a result of competition with the new Bronco.

That competition is good, Jeep had been resting on its laurels for quite some time, with really no other true competitors in the same market space.  Now the Bronco is pushing Jeep designers to change and innovate.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2024 at 9:16 AM, NoRagrets said:

you can find plenty of brand new factory soft tops at crazy discounts on facebook market place. most are brand new in box. instead of spending $2500 or so, you can can get them for half of that.

we bought one like this for $700 instead of whatever ridiculous price jeep charges for the premium twill ones. we still have the hard top but it hasn't been used in over a year. we thought we'd may need to put it back for the winter but it's just fine with the soft top because the heater is so damn hot

• Hook 'Em 1

IMG_5828.thumb.jpeg.992984e5ab316e09937a7e710c349f6f.jpegGot the doors off just in time for this beautiful afternoon. Took me awhile (30 minutes?), but I know what I’m doing now. Still, the roof was way easier.  I think I am down to about 5-10 minutes depending on how good my helpers (kids) are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Cool Got the doors off just in time for this beautiful afternoon. Took me awhile (30 minutes?), but I know what I’m doing now. Still, the roof was way easier.  I think I am down to about 5-10 minutes depending on how good my helpers (kids) are. 

Cool, you're now running "naked" as Jeepers call it.

I've got a hoist mounted to the ceiling of the garage so the hard top goes off and on in just a few minutes.  Screwing in the 8 torx bit screws is the bulk of that time.

You'll definitely get quicker with the doors.  Taking mine off only takes a couple of minutes now.  Putting them back on, a little more.  Of course your aluminum JL doors are definitely lighter than my steel JK doors.  I get a pretty good workout, especially with the front ones.

20 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

IMG_5828.thumb.jpeg.992984e5ab316e09937a7e710c349f6f.jpegGot the doors off just in time for this beautiful afternoon. Took me awhile (30 minutes?), but I know what I’m doing now. Still, the roof was way easier.  I think I am down to about 5-10 minutes depending on how good my helpers (kids) are. 

Oh, one other mod we have for running doors-off, in addition to the side mirrors as you already have, is foot pegs for those bottom front door hinges.  That way you can lounge around like a real heathen with your foot hanging out the door.

Something like this would work, but there are lots of other styles: 

image.thumb.png.41a9513dc29265bca1b3cd5b827c402d.png

https://www.amazon.com/JONGCOVER-Footrest-Grille-2007-2022-Wrangler/dp/B0BKPQN4SS/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3SRN2FT04LKG0&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.93F5esx_CSgdSJkG1fJN3k1Fmr3740AZoEwc7mcHxzyPMKyAeSCPwz6KatMjiacLmo2zmQHZTWljC6ApATREzXE1hycOXtj4fhC_yEzUrRI2EFZWYRVfhmiKAGzrHv3x3Kuxn0efGudUpTmQcHu3jCzWfu6kFO22X9PXmprcjZkSd3hMw87p3s5vw9QokzofwDgHEe_p9hHIv8UIjT7V29TrfxRXqzQGIlCbxdXh21Er-vdtkh9uR_Y8K-semHhqbS3tKCcU5oU96UQeuIyfadE17o4moObYNuqcnx3SBck.RFbaraaNGTMCRGvWOmWKfzEhWvCOaTBUkzWH8JYIe7k&dib_tag=se&keywords=foot%2Bpegs%2Bjeep%2Bwrangler&qid=1708808431&sprefix=foot%2Bpegs%2Bjeep%2Bwrangle%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-10&th=1

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey... anyone installed a trailer hitch on their JL?  Seems easy enough... my wife's new 4xe has less storage space since she chose one with upgraded woofers so the trunk is smaller and the underseat storage is gone thanks to the EV battery.

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Hey... anyone installed a trailer hitch on their JL?  Seems easy enough... my wife's new 4xe has less storage space since she chose one with upgraded woofers so the trunk is smaller and the underseat storage is gone thanks to the EV battery.

Did one on our JK but never on a JL.  On the JK it was pretty tight because the muffler is right there in the way.  This obviously wouldn't be a problem on the 4xe.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Did one on our JK but never on a JL.  On the JK it was pretty tight because the muffler is right there in the way.  This obviously wouldn't be a problem on the 4xe.

4xe still has a muffler as the battery is only for quick local trips so it only has a range of 25 miles... on a good day.  Saw a couple online that apparently go on quickly.  Just have to convince my wife to let me then get one of those cargo basket thingies for the hitch.  Anyone used those?

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

4xe still has a muffler as the battery is only for quick local trips so it only has a range of 25 miles... on a good day.  Saw a couple online that apparently go on quickly.  Just have to convince my wife to let me then get one of those cargo basket thingies for the hitch.  Anyone used those?

Ah okay, shows what I know about the electric Jeeps (which is, apparently, nothing :) ).

There are likely some Youtube videos out there that show you what to do, that's how I figured mine out.  I had to disconnect the muffler at both ends to get enough room to slide in the hitch, bolt it up, and then reconnect the muffler.

I had one of those cargo baskets on my Tahoe, worked fine for holding ice chests or whatever.  It wasn't a name brand, just some Amazon cheapie.