Man colonialism sucked: Haiti’s Lost Billions

YChang

30 minutes ago, YChang said:

The US has probably spent $21bn in Haitian in the last 20 years.   I’m not sure adding $21bn into their economy over 2 centuries would have changed much.    

not that it isn’t bullshit what France did.   

41 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The US has probably spent $21bn in Haitian in the last 20 years.   I’m not sure adding $21bn into their economy over 2 centuries would have changed much.    

Ultimately, who knows? But that’’s money a fledgling nation was deprived of. And as article mentions our hands weren’t too clean either with the exploitation. Just a sad documentation of all sorts of disaster, natural, foreign, and home-grown that has beset the country. 

Is there any reason to believe that Haiti won’t be in the same shape in 25 years or even worse? We want to think that countries can always improve but what if the answer is that some can never do so due to the past. 

venezuela always has promise due to their natural resources. What does Haiti have? 

• Hook 'Em 1

so Haiti should just be annexed by Africa cause this shit is what European countries did/are doing to African for centuries and what China is now doing to third world countries scattered here and there.

humans have been coming up with genius ways to fuck the poor for thousands of years.

Yep. Learned about this while getting my second degree at Texas. Much of the reason why That country is so fucked up is because slaves dared to revolt, and won. As far as I can recall it is the only country (at least in the Western Hemisphere) that is founded as a result of a successful slave revolt.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:10 PM, Trey3216 said:

fucking stupid even for you

34 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yep. Learned about this while getting my second degree at Texas. Much of the reason why That country is so fucked up is because slaves dared to revolt, and won. As far as I can recall it is the only country (at least in the Western Hemisphere) that is founded as a result of a successful slave revolt.

pariah state sharing an island with a hated neighbor in an ocean surrounded by colonial powers that hate who they are and fear what they represent. being shook down by their former owners for more cash than they could possibly have. frankly I'm ashamed i wasn't aware that the US occupied and controlled Haiti by military regime for 20 years in the 20th century - I studied a bit of the Toussaint Louverture era history, which is enough to have fucked them up pretty much for good but as always it's shocking to realize how recently it was that they were getting fucked with on that level. And of course people look at the country now and do the aggie tapping on the poster thing to try and understand why it is the way it is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

i thought this was widely known.  so not sure why this is making the rounds now (heard it on npr earlier today as well)  

also not sure why it is a surprise. country paid tribute to not be invaded by stronger power. pretty common thing until relatively recently 

lol, Russia invaded Ukraine over basically the same thing