Wendy's in the Union closes

Celery Man

What a weird story (Junior). Dude must have gotten into drugs. I dont like wendys much so I almost never ate there but something always seemed a little crazy about a guy being so absolutely jacked to do one of the most mind numbingly repetitious jobs day in and out. 

As I left Austin 14 years ago I had no idea he died. That was a weird story about leaving to go to NYC for whatever reason then his mother dying making him homeless. How is a mid 50s yr old dude made homeless by his mother dying? Apparently the 35k raised by the gofundme paid for his lodging and food for 2 years so all of you who knew about this at the time and gave helped give a down man an extra 2 years of life.

What a weird story (Junior). Dude must have gotten into drugs. I dont like wendys much so I almost never ate there but something always seemed a little crazy about a guy being so absolutely jacked to do one of the most mind numbingly repetitious jobs day in and out. 
As I left Austin 14 years ago I had no idea he died. That was a weird story about leaving to go to NYC for whatever reason then his mother dying making him homeless. How is a mid 50s yr old dude made homeless by his mother dying? Apparently the 35k raised by the gofundme paid for his lodging and food for 2 years so all of you who knew about this at the time and gave helped give a down man an extra 2 years of life.
I've mentioned it before on old surly, but he kind of creeped me out. I hated going through his line, to the point that sometimes I'd change my mind about eating there. But he was also just so interesting. He really fit that weird Austin thing.

I remember eating outside in that courtyard one time when I heard a scream and it was some poor girl who got her Wendy’s meal jacked by a gaggle of pigeons. She was in tears(though my asshole buddy was laughing out loud). She went back in crying and Junior replaced her meal for free, CSB.

On 6/9/2018 at 5:42 PM, RD3 said:

I was an undergrad when they opened that Wendy's.  And it was a big deal b/c before then there were no franchises in there.  No CFA or Taco Bell.  Wendys was the 1st...

Yup, when I was an undergrad there was no Wendy's or any other franchise.  Just the standard cafeteria style stuff from Aramark or whoever had the food services contract at the time.  You young pipsqueaks don't know how good you had it!

I did not, however, ever have to walk to school in the snow uphill both ways.  So I've got that going for me.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:21 AM, thrillhammer said:

before wendy's it was called the garden grill.  then they outsourced food services to sodexho, closed down the tavern, sold off pieces to people like wendy's.  there used to be a big party at the beginning of every fall semeseter in the union.  i cant remember what it was called.  it was wall to wall party in the union.  about 20 bands would play, and i bet 100 kegs were consumed.  it was crazy.

What years did this happen? 

4 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

What years did this happen? 

'82-89 maybe?   They outsourced everything right around '91.  That's when Wendy's and all those corporates started coming in. 

The Tavern was jam packed for happy hours almost every weekday, but also had a great live music booking.  Poi Dog, Twang Twang, The Reivers, True Believers.  It rivaled liberty lunch as far as competing for acts goes.  Not bad for our own student union.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:43 PM, Stunns38 said:

I remember eating outside in that courtyard one time when I heard a scream and it was some poor girl who got her Wendy’s meal jacked by a gaggle of pigeons. She was in tears(though my asshole buddy was laughing out loud). She went back in crying and Junior replaced her meal for free, CSB.

Never, ever leave your food unattended in that courtyard. Forgot napkins?  Too bad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Meh...between 95-99 I think I ate at the Taco Bell more. I forget what else was in there at the time besides the Wendy’s.

But if I was going to eat on campus, 90% of the time, I’d hit up the egg roll stands.

egg roll stands were legit.  taco bell, wendy's, and the roach coaches were all in regular rotation for me.

For my last couple of years, I rarely got away from the engineering quad.  So the egg roll stand and stromboli stand on 26th by the bridge were my usual fare.  Or on days when I was feeling flush with cash, The Posse or The Crown and Anchor-- jalapeno cheeseburger, fries, and a drink for $3.25.  Those were the days.

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

But if I was going to eat on campus, 90% of the time, I’d hit up the egg roll stands.

You trying to fence stolen goods?

Incan matrimonial head masks?

Edited by RD3

You trying to fence stolen goods?
Incan matrimonial head masks?

There were two families running the stands if I remember correctly. One who put like 5 kids through UT (that also worked at the stands), and the other family that was selling stolen goods. I believe they originally were in front of the Co-Op. I did eat at both, but for me, the real deal was the one at Littlefield fountain.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There were two families running the stands if I remember correctly. One who put like 5 kids through UT (that also worked at the stands), and the other family that was selling stolen goods. I believe they originally were in front of the Co-Op. I did eat at both, but for me, the real deal was the one at Littlefield fountain.

I was engineering so mine was the spot at 26th & Speedway...