Just got back from Isla Mujeres

wood

• 1 month later...

Wife and I are ditching kids with my parents and flying out Monday July 3rd for our first time. I didn’t know there was a thread about it so I didn’t have any recs to go on (I.e. probably too hot in July). Anyways, we’re staying at the Aluxes and paying for AI and doing 4 nights. I’ll keep perusing thread for pointers.

8 minutes ago, deft said:

Wife and I are ditching kids with my parents and flying out Monday July 3rd for our first time. I didn’t know there was a thread about it so I didn’t have any recs to go on (I.e. probably too hot in July). Anyways, we’re staying at the Aluxes and paying for AI and doing 4 nights. I’ll keep perusing thread for pointers.

Aluxes is fucking fantastic if you enjoy fucking in your private jaccuzi outside. I don't like it for AI though as it's a super easy walk to Hildalgo Street where food is better and cheaper. I do enjoy the beach/pool menu a ton though.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:17 PM, deft said:

I figured we’d still dine outside of the hotel a bit. And who doesn’t like outdoor hot tub fucking I guess.

I can confirm that it is HAF there in July but it's still a great time.  Eat at Bastos.  Closed on Thursdays.

• Like 1

Basto’s was supposed to be open yesterday but they just weren’t. We rolled up for dinner and we’re left out in the dust

Oh well, we ended up going around the corner to Limon and HFS!!

Go there.

Order the ribeye, the pork chop, and the lobster Sergio. Among the best of each beef, pig, and shellfish I’ve ever had

If yesterday was Thursday, they weren't supposed to be open.  Bastos is always closed on Thursday.  There's a little place around the corner that's cheap and good.  We ate there and two meals and a beer were about $13.

Edited by VABuckeye

If yesterday was Thursday, they weren't supposed to be open.  Bastos is always closed on Thursday.  There's a little place around the corner that's cheap and good.  We ate there and two meals and a beer were about $13.

Wednesday, not Thursday

They had a sign on their door that said back on April 12th. It was April 12th

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of switching a trip to Miami in June to a trip to Isla.  Have not been back since 2015ish and we used to always stay at Ixchel (3 trips).  Thinking we might just pick a smaller hotel on the island.  Any tips?  While we like the centro, we'd be OK being on the Cancun-facing side in a smaller hotel.  Probably a quick three night trip just to get our Isla fix for the first time in years.  Yes, I know we may be dodging a few rain showers but June should at least be free of tropical trouble... in theory... sort of.  

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Thinking of switching a trip to Miami in June to a trip to Isla.  Have not been back since 2015ish and we used to always stay at Ixchel (3 trips).  Thinking we might just pick a smaller hotel on the island.  Any tips?  While we like the centro, we'd be OK being on the Cancun-facing side in a smaller hotel.  Probably a quick three night trip just to get our Isla fix for the first time in years.  Yes, I know we may be dodging a few rain showers but June should at least be free of tropical trouble... in theory... sort of.  

Why no Ixchel? Just trying to switch it up?

7 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I just got back from Playa/Tulum/Mahahual. The sargassum is fucking horrendous and will be worse next month.

Is the west side of Cozumel still the play for the gulf right now? We're doing Oaxaca instead of QR this year but might want to squeeze another in if it isn't too bad.

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

We love Hotel Secreto.  The staff pre-Covid treated us like royalty.  It's a very short walk from Hidalgo Street and Playa Norte and also has a private beach.  You can't swim there but you can get drink service from the hotel and if you're lucky you can tell the bartender what you want for lunch and he'll go out and get it for you.  Secreto's beach may not have sargassum as it is on the other side of the island on the Bay of Mujeres.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Is the west side of Cozumel still the play for the gulf right now? We're doing Oaxaca instead of QR this year but might want to squeeze another in if it isn't too bad.

Yeah, Cozumel is fine, except for the east side, which takes the brunt of the sargassum. No problems on the good side of Cozumel so far.

A nice sunset at Tikila Bar ruined daily by cruise shits.

tikila sunset.jpg

Head to the southern tip.  Freedom in Paradise (aka Rastas) bar.  The cruise shippers with be locked in to Senior Frogs and Carlos and Charlies.  They have great cheap drinks, a hot plate to cook really good food on and a beach with beautiful water.  And you can get your SO to pose here?

spacer.png

Edited by VABuckeye

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Head to the southern tip.  Freedom in Paradise (aka Rastas) bar.  The cruise shippers with be locked in to Senior Frogs and Carlos and Charlies.  They have great cheap drinks, a hot plate to cook really good food on and a beach with beautiful water.  And you can get your SO to pose here?

spacer.png

That's the east side; it's covered in sargassum. Rastas is on Playa Encantada.

May be an image of map and text

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Rastas is at the southern tip on the west side.  Here’s a map for reference. 

There may be sargassum but rastas is not on the east side of the island. 

Ok man. I lived on Cozumel for 2.5 years. Rastas is not on the southern tip, it is miles NE of the tip, i.e, where Faro Celarain is on the map you posted.

And that entire side of the island, from Faro Celarain to Faro Norte is called "The East Side". 

image.thumb.png.c95de9bccfea30eb28630c81abd17fee.png

11 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Ok man. I lived on Cozumel for 2.5 years. Rastas is not on the southern tip, it is miles NE of the tip, i.e, where Faro Celarain is on the map you posted.

And that entire side of the island, from Faro Celarain to Faro Norte is called "The East Side". 

image.thumb.png.c95de9bccfea30eb28630c81abd17fee.png

You beat my edit.  I concede the point.  👍

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 10:06 AM, texasdago said:

Out of curiosity, what's the best place to rent a 4 person gold cart?  I remember using Ciro's in the past but not sure if that's still the way to go or not.  

We've used Coco that last couple of times we've been - no issues.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

...and just like that we're back.

It was a quick trip - three nights but worth going back for the first time since 2016.  Some thoughts...

- Isla still kicks ass.  While I was expecting a much larger change based on people's descriptions over the years, in many ways it is the same.

- Prices definitely up especially when you hit up places that are less local / a bit swankier.  I could have used more cheap-o kind of meals but it was my wife's birthday trip so we splurged a bit.  That said, our most expensive meal with an appetizer, two mains, 6 cocktails total was under $100 before the tip.

- Playa Norte definitely gets busier... the space in front of Ixchel was a clogged up mess on the beach.  Too many umbrellas.  We went to Mayan Beach Club and thought it was just fine for us and the water was mellower in front.  You can see the effects of erosion, though.  Still, the water at norte continues to be awesome.  Too many boats in the middle that drop off randos from Cancun who float around drinking White Claws and wearing 'Merica gear.

- Speaking of daytrippers... you can tell when its the weekend and the masses start dumping off the ferriers and causing conga lines of golf carts on the main roads.  Lots of idiots who aren't paying attention and swerving around.  Did see the police pull over one dude who was drinking.

- As for police, definitely more of a noticeable police/military presence in the centro.  Did not bother me.  

- Marquesitas and churros from street carts are the best

- Hit up three beach clubs... Kin Ha (tied to our hotel), Nomads and Mayan Beach Club.  Really liked Nomads... very laid back, good music, cocktail prices reasonable considering the experience... would absolutely go back and would even stay at the hotel/hostel (in the hotel part)

- Water temperature... hmmm... ocean's warming up, y'all.  It was warm.

- For the most part, people are still cool.  Really only met one person that just seemed to have disdain for us.  Otherwise, everyone was super friendly... always helps to speak Spanish and pay in Pesos.

- OK... now the picture below is the view from the pier at Kin Har with our hotel above it.  Great spot... nice to have access to Kin HA.  The big hotel to the right... that's Secrets.  Very pricey.  Had only been open for less than a week since we got there.  Power went out on the island three times while we were there.  Whole island.  Power was out... maybe four hours one night.  Secrets had generators and was plugging away.  Locals are starting to wonder about places that may be sucking up the juice, straining the grid and then putting up a middle finger with their generators.  Isla is growing... infrastructure is not going to keep up.  Supposedly water issues starting to pop up, too.  That sailboat... that's how Secrets picks up/drops off guests... supposedly room nights around $20,000 Pesos a night.  Sorry man but that's the anti-Isla vibe to me.  The island kicks ass because its not all AI hotels... people like this show up at the resort, probably never leave so they don't see the poors and then strain the infrastructure of the island.  Could not tell if it was Ted and Heidi.

image.thumb.png.7bacaad8d999c6b08d7ddb941bb1c17c.png

image.thumb.png.08126a1ffa2477cc54467dcb51f8eb50.png  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Did a 3 day Cancun, 1 day Isla Mujeres, 3 day playa del Carmen, and 1 day Cozumel trip.

Isla Mujeres was the best time out of all of them in the sense of just kicking back with no plans. Water was the most clear of all, the least hassle from street vendors, almost zero seaweed and maximized relaxation. Cancun still had streams of cold water come through so it wasn’t exactly just baked, warm water everywhere.

Being a single white guy every street interaction went the same. Tequila?Cigar? Marijuana? Cocaine? Hooker? Ok, can I introduce my sister? Funny first few times, but by day 8 I was Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. Gonna go back to Belize in September to get a feel how things are comparatively in Ambergris and Caulker. 

Just spent a week in Isla/Cancun.  Good times.  It didn't disappoint, yet again.  The water was great. 

For tacos al pastor taqueria Bonampak right before Puerto Juarez, Cancun is several notches above most.  I hate when people overcook it.  On the Isla side there is a brother/sister stand on the corner of Guerrero/LopezMateos a block from the main strip on Hidalgo he has the best bistec/aracherra I've had in QRoo.  He's next to the pay phone.    

We made more trips to Chedrui (Qroo HEB) this trip as prices on basics/booze have gotten ridiculous.   

Last thing, for wildlife explorers/kids, take the road that takes you out to Dolphin Discovery in Isla and go past it about a 1/4 km on the right in the rocks you'll find a rock crab colony. I had never noticed before.   Huge suckers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2023 at 10:51 AM, RollLeft said:

Just spent a week in Isla/Cancun.  Good times.  It didn't disappoint, yet again.  The water was great. 

For tacos al pastor taqueria Bonampak right before Puerto Juarez, Cancun is several notches above most.  I hate when people overcook it.  On the Isla side there is a brother/sister stand on the corner of Guerrero/LopezMateos a block from the main strip on Hidalgo he has the best bistec/aracherra I've had in QRoo.  He's next to the pay phone.    

We made more trips to Chedrui (Qroo HEB) this trip as prices on basics/booze have gotten ridiculous.   

Last thing, for wildlife explorers/kids, take the road that takes you out to Dolphin Discovery in Isla and go past it about a 1/4 km on the right in the rocks you'll find a rock crab colony. I had never noticed before.   Huge suckers. 

How is this pronounced btw? I always just say supermercado so I don't butcher it.

On 7/3/2023 at 10:19 PM, Hate said:

Goddamn, I love Isla Mujeres.  That may be our new go to spot.  We loved Playa Norte and how easy it was to walk around.  We will most likely be back next summer. 

Boracay Philippines is its Asian twin.  The look and setup are very similar.  

Yeah, the island is lacking bourbon.  Go to:

Argentina Steakhouse - Steak house
C. Abasolo 171
Centro - Supmza. 001

they have Bulliet.  The rest of the places may have Jack Daniels or Maker's Mark.  Most places have Wild Turkey so you may as well stay sober.

27 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, the island is lacking bourbon.  Go to:

Argentina Steakhouse - Steak house
C. Abasolo 171
Centro - Supmza. 001

they have Bulliet.  The rest of the places may have Jack Daniels or Maker's Mark.  Most places have Wild Turkey so you may as well stay sober.

wtf. Bourbon in Mexico? Why?

You sound like the okies I see posting on Cozumel groups who ask about the best bars with white claw and miller lite on tap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

White claw on tap here? Where?!

Alex and Raul have been making some mean rocks margs down at the pool. But I wanted some Wt101 rocks with the churrasco dinner earlier. And the bottle of JR red was comped to the suite.

On 7/5/2023 at 9:50 PM, rage-a-holic said:

wtf. Bourbon in Mexico? Why?

You sound like the okies I see posting on Cozumel groups who ask about the best bars with white claw and miller lite on tap.

I don’t drink tequila and margaritas give me heartburn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...