Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

I've thought the last few years proved that Kliff was just a glorified OC and QB coach, but I'm not sure now that he's even that.  We got hurt today by a bad matchup with their big receivers on our crappy DBs, and there were some bad calls along with some typical stupid killer penalties that were correctly called.  I think Kliff's bad play calling was as much a factor as anything, though.  No matter who we have at QB, we won't go anywhere as a team if Kliff keeps calling 3 runs in a row, or run on 1st and 2nd, pass on third and long, on crucial, "must score" drives.  Our offense has to score a lot for us to win.  Not getting TDs when we get close is a killer for this team, just like pretty much every Tech team under Kliff.

I actually really liked Bowman all and all, as one positive thing we can take away from this.  I hope he'll stay when Kliff gets fired.

Edited by Dirk X West

31 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I wouldn’t hold it against y’all if you fired Kliff before the season ends. 

the only reason to do that would be if they thought the DC might have a chance to be the head coach and they wanted to see how he did for some games

the fact that they kept him after last year shows no real imperative to make a change especially in the middle of the season

they kept Kliff for two reason the cost to buy him out and the fact that so many major programs were firing/hiring coaches last year meant that Tech had about zero chance to get their first, second, or third choice

unfortunately for Tech as we can see even in this thread their least intelligent and most vocal fans want to go right back to the leach coaching stump and get the shitty "air raid" back and try and repeat the "we do more with less" philosophy of being generally irrelevant 

the fact that Tech averaged 4.2 yards per carry and the running game was effective and needed for a back up freshman QB and yet Tech fans complain about Kliff running the ball just shows how football stupid their most vocal fans are

they will probably end up with Seth Latrell and the rest of the leach coaching stump spares and they can hope they get back to winning 8 games a season, but unless they also get back to scheduling 2 D1-AA games a season or a D1-AA game and a team that was 0-11 in the worst D1-A conference they will have to settle for lots of meaningless yards passing and spare bowl games most seasons and they can tell everyone how great it is to be consistently 4th or 5th in the Big 12 while watching TCU and OkState continue to be much better then the are and while Baylor passes them yet again

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

I don't want Leach 2.0. 

Seth runs the ball, an he runs it effectively. Also plays defense, something we haven't seen a lot of in the South Plains.  But when I watch Seth and Graham's offense, I see an offense that has the passing option of the air raid mixed with a good, sound running attack.  

If Seth can build a winning program at UNT, then I know he can have success at Tech.

I don't necessarily want Leach 2.0, however,,,

fuck butt fumble and his "leach coaching stump" comment.  Fuck you right in the goat ass of yours.

It's a deliberate attempt to demean Leach's contributions and influence on college football.  You are a gotdamn idiot for such futile efforts.

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Watching the UNT-SMU game last night, and the routes the WR's ran and how much it reminded me of Leach's old teams, I wouldn't mind Tech bringing in Littrell,  with Harrell and Filani on the staff as well.  

I'd like to see Harrell aboard too.  Informal North Texas sources maintain though should Littrell be hired away, Harrell most likely would be named head coach at N. Tx--so we might not be very likely to see it.

How bout this for wild ass rumor of the day?  Hocutt and Bob Stoops are fairly tight.  Using that relationship to talk him out of retirement a la Urban Meyer.  Never happen, but some folk want to try.

Btw, could be ButtFumble's most stupid post ever.  And for him that's saying something.

Edited by pigmeat markham

12 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

the fact that Tech averaged 4.2 yards per carry and the running game was effective and needed for a back up freshman QB and yet Tech fans complain about Kliff running the ball just shows how football stupid their most vocal fans are

The plays Kliff called for Bowman would've been no different for (noodle-armed) Carter, as it was exactly what he did most games with Shimonek last year.  We pick up decent yards running earlier in the game because at that point, opposing defenses still tend to respect that Tech might do something other than run outside or throw short passes.  Once it becomes clear that Tech won't be attempting many passes over ten yards and don't complete them consistently when they do, the D tightens up and the run game stalls.  It's happened over and over since the start of 2017, and it did again against Ole Miss.  Kliff killed several crucial drives in the second half by running on 1st and 2nd and getting nothing, if not on all three downs.

I would take any effective offense system over Kliff's at this point, but I would actually prefer someone from totally outside the Leach coaching tree.  It really is best for a school like Tech that can't go out just any coach they want to explore every option and not limit themselves to Leach era former players. 

Edited by Dirk X West

A question about Wyoming’s elevation transformed into a Mike Leach tangent about jackalopes. “I sold a bunch of jackalopes to people to this day from back east that think there are spots out west where jackrabbits actually have horns.” Gotta listen to the whole thing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheoLawson_SR/status/1036047621519958017?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1036047621519958017|twgr^373939313b73706563696669635f73706f7274735f616374696f6e&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationofblue.com%2Fmike-leach-talks-about-jackalopes-and-seasonal-forest-fires-after-beating-wyoming%2F

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol ill say it again, id put damn good money on it being Littrell or Brown

At this point, i really don't give a fuck any more...and that is not at you, but who is head football coach at Texas Tech.

18 hours ago, slorch said:

At this point, i really don't give a fuck any more...and that is not at you, but who is head football coach at Texas Tech.

Same here.  I am just kind of numb about it.  Tech has disappointed for almost a decade and I just don't really care anymore.  I went to the game Saturday and there is no way I am ever dropping cash like that again for a game until Tech ponies up and puts a product on the field to be proud of.  Call me fair weather fan whatever I don't care.  I have been supporting that program since the Spike days and what Tech has done to themselves in football is embarrassing.  

things almost looked uglier for Tech when Ole' Miss was down to Southern Illinois at the half and only up on them by 8 ending the third before waking up and putting 27-0 up in the 4th.....not to mention giving up 41 points to them through 3 quarters

not sure if Ole' Miss just went "all out" to prepare for Tech and had nothing ready for Southern Illinois or if Ole' Miss just sucks and Tech is just that much worse....either way Tech should stick to the D1-AA openers for the time being and not the big neutral site games against decent (or possible even kind of shitty) P5 teams

Edited by ButtFumble

9 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

If he's canned,  will they go with another Leach guy with littrell?

I think it might be a good idea to keep an eye on N Tx vs Arkansas this Saturday.  Think an impressive outing by the Mean Green could certainly contribute to helping put Littrell in the driver's seat for the job.

Just reading  TT pay sites and the like, I personally sense a lot of support for Littrell and virtually none for Cumbie (seen as Kliff jr.) and even less, if possible, for Applewhite.  Very little for Venables as well.

While he did coach at Tech under Leach, he's also coached at Arizona, Indiana, and North Carolina, so perhaps not a dyed in the wool  Leach protege.  He also has actually been a head coach and folk have gotten more than tired of KK supposedly learning on the job.  While only having been at N.Tx a short while, he's done a pretty nice job to this point.

Tech has a pay site?  I thought RP was the only shitty place for Tech info.  One page in this thread alone is better than anything RP has done in years.

While Kliffy should be shown the door, I have a feeling it won't happen.  Nothing to back that up, just a feeling.  Tech is going to reap the firing of Leach for even longer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I take it, he really really likes the #RedRaiders..? 
It looks like Houston is claiming the newest USWNR has the Coogs in front of Tech:

USNWR rankings are stupid.  I can't believe they still make money with this bullshit.  Once you get past the top 25 or so institutions that people generally agree are elite or close to elite, all large 4-year public institutions are basically the same.  The quality of education depends on how committed the student is to their study program.  Especially when you're past 100 or in this case 150.  Each such school will pump out some very good people who will do big things and make lots of money, and will also pump out a bunch of slackers who got a degree in 5 years with mostly C's and end up working for $15 an hour in a call center or doing manual labor.

• Like 2

Harrell is the OC in name but is littrell the play caller like we see so often? 

The coaching trajectory has been swift for him,  if he had air raid concepts learned from being a qb in it and mix in littrells acumen from working with at UNC, IU, and UofA, he would be nice to have here but I know it won't go as well as we would hope. Because we can't have nice things and all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

Harrell is the OC in name but is littrell the play caller like we see so often? 

The coaching trajectory has been swift for him,  if he had air raid concepts learned from being a qb in it and mix in littrells acumen from working with at UNC, IU, and UofA, he would be nice to have here but I know it won't go as well as we would hope. Because we can't have nice things and all. 

No.  Seth is much more a traditional head coach, and he lets his coordinators call plays.

The WR coach is Joel Filani, who also played at Tech when Seth was a coach but before Graham's time.  He is the one on the sidelines during the game coordinating with the players while Graham is up in the pressbox calling plays from there.

9 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Tech has a pay site?  I thought RP was the only shitty place for Tech info.  One page in this thread alone is better than anything RP has done in years.

There is a Tech Rivals site named Red Raider Sports.  Been around since 2000 or so.  I've been a member for 13 years.  Originally owned by Robert Giovannetti, Tech Sr.. Associate AD, it is now owned Chris Level, who does color for TT basketball, sideline reporter for football radio, hosts the coach's radio shows, etc.  Also  contributes to the site.

Its 100% pay at $100 a year or $12 a month.  They sometimes run free 14 day trials if you're inclined to check it out.  There is absolutely no comparison between RP and RRS.  RRS is far superior with perhaps several thousand subscribers Id guess as well as far more info.  Additionally, you'll have some access to all the other school's sites.    "Inside the Double T" is the TT forum you'll spend the most time in, but you have access to their national board as well.

Aside from some really squirrelly moderating, and Kliff's lack of willingness to provide certain sorts of information, I've been by and large satisfied and entertained by the site.  I generally recommend it.  Red Raider Sports ---

https://texastech.rivals.com/

33 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

vivathematadors.com

Does that have any forums or is it an SB Nation website?

Vivamatadors.com is a pretty obscure site.  I follow TT football as closely as anyone and I literally know of no devotees.  Not an expert on them by any stretch, but no forums that I'm aware of.  Just seemingly a few stories every now and then and that's about it.  Seemingly virtually no activity.