Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

VTM putting way too much stock in kick off time.  We can win big games in broad daylight too.

The Cyclones certainly can.  But conventional wisdom says your homefield advantage is amplified for a night game, so the early kick off can help Tech in that regard.  In any event, I'm looking forward to that game.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

The Cyclones certainly can.  But conventional wisdom says your homefield advantage is amplified for a night game, so the early kick off can help Tech in that regard.  In any event, I'm looking forward to that game.

Yeah, night games seem to have a certain voodoo to them.  But the last time Tech visited Ames, it was a 2:30 kick and probably still the most dominant ISU conference win I've ever seen.  It got to the "stop, he's already dead" level.

Mostly, I just wanted to criticize VTM Twitter.  I have nothing against Tech fans (from what I can tell, they probably have a lot in common with us), but man that twat waffle makes me want to beat them by 56 points every time.

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Wear burnt orange or maroon to a night game in Lubbock.  Report back.  It can get bad.  Very bad.  

I've heard as much, but have never had a bad run-in myself.  I've never been to a game in Lubbock either, but I've been through the area and was shocked by how Midwestish western Texas seems.  Flat land as far as you can see, and pretty much all used for agriculture.  People seemed nice in my limited interactions.

I'm guessing they have a different vitriol for fans of the more dominant Texas schools.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

28 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've heard as much, but have never had a bad run-in myself.  I've never been to a game in Lubbock either, but I've been through the area and was shocked by how Midwestish western Texas seems.  Flat land as far as you can see, and pretty much all used for agriculture.  People seemed nice in my limited interactions.

I'm guessing they have a different vitriol for fans of the more dominant Texas schools.

I'm a Tech fan, so I can't really see this from an outsider's perspective, but it's almost certainly worse for UT fans and fake army aggy.  That's also not to mention that many of the worst atrocities Tech fans have been accused over the years have been fabricated by traveling gomers eager to distract from their team's failures in Lubbock. 

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

Don't be a drunken asshole who thinks they can talk shit and nothing will happen...

and you'll be fine.  Folks in the tailgating area might even offer you a beer or 8.

Like a lot of places, it's really fan roulette. Plenty have been friendly including beer. Once though they even threatened to beat up my (non-confrontational) buddy's pregnant wife. Sorry, no pix.

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

Don't be a drunken asshole who thinks they can talk shit and nothing will happen...

and you'll be fine.  Folks in the tailgating area might even offer you a beer or 8.

Agreed.I live in Lubbock and have been to all the UT games here with my son and we are decked out in out Longhorn stuff. We are respectful in the stands and we have to walk past all of the tailgaters going to and from the game. I have never had any threats thrown our way or anything dramatic other than some shit talk after they won in 2008. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, slorch said:

True enough.  To a point.  Had my truck vandalized once in Lubbock.  Had shit thrown on me multiple times (no batteries thankfully).  And I'm pretty vocal at games...but at my own damn team.  Not opposing.  Never talk shit to another fan or team.  And I have zero animosity towards the school.  One of my best friends, his father was dean of the history department there.  And my mom taught for a stint @ the Tech med school in Midland.  

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Wear burnt orange or maroon to a night game in Lubbock.  Report back.  It can get bad.  Very bad.  

I only have passing memories of the only night game in Lubbock I've been to in 2002. I don't remember any particular animosity, but do remember the removal of goalposts and bleachers (yes bleachers) in the student sections.

Those motherfuckers get crazy but usually not in a nasty way. If it does come to that you can usually pin it on them being a bunch of drunk, bored idiots.

Tech is basically a better school and program than TxSt in a way shittier part of Texas.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:56 AM, Magus Ossis said:

Player accused of rape. Name not public yet. Don't think it's a starter. Interesting to see how Tech handles this versus the Baylor model.

Damn Texas really needs to go independent and get away from all these turd burglars.

49 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Damn Texas really needs to go independent and get away from all these turd burglars.

There's the fucking door...

Knock yourself out...  you fuckers bitch, bitch, bitch about how fucked up the Big XII is.

It's your fucking conference...  run the motherfucker, then.

Edited by slorch

17 minutes ago, slorch said:

Knock yourself out...  you fuckers bitch, bitch, bitch about how fucked up the Big XII is.

if it were really our conference, the 2015 Okie Lite officiating debacle would not have occurred.

Edited by cochamps

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Actually, never met a Techster who did not drink, and did not like to throw the bullshit around. One of my best friends is a shit talking hard drinking tech grad. We call each other Kettle and Pot, because well, and always quoted Krusty the Clown about Surly way before this site wasn’t shaggy. Tech has smoking hot women, are good people and are worthy. Fuck the haters, sand aggy can stay in the sand box as far as I am concerned. Slorch, I think was on the other site before Shaggy, he was alright back there too.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

Actually, never met a Techster who did not drink, and did not like to throw the bullshit around. One of my best friends is a shit talking hard drinking tech grad. We call each other Kettle and Pot, because well, and always quoted Krusty the Clown about Surly way before this site wasn’t shaggy. Tech has smoking hot women, are good people and are worthy. Fuck the haters, sand aggy can stay in the sand box as far as I am concerned. Slorch, I think was on the other site before Shaggy, he was alright back there too.

agreed

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

SIAP: How’s Bonney been playing for Tech?

So so.  Not really among the top tier DB's.   Has gotten some playing time tho due to TT DB's being MIA for a variety of reasons.  Played 40 snaps against TCU, but graded out third from the bottom of all defensive players according to Rivals grading system for whatever that's worth.

I lived in Lubbock for a dozen years or so. I've done alot of work around campus usually wearing (still do) a LH cap. Never had an issue. In fact, it wasn't uncommon to spot 2 or 3 other LH caps around campus on any given day. There been the typical fan exchange here and there,  especially leading up to and after our game weekend, but it never came close to getting out of hand...   

Even funnier is that i've left equipment all over the place on campus for months on end.  From their Basketball arena (during that project, the bantering with some of the aggy working the project tended to have a nastier tone). Our equipment during the stadium renovation was untouched.  But when we did a major reinforcement and upgrade on the the broadcast tower across from the BB complex, the Kiss reunion tour made a stop (no problem), several random venues (nothing touched), a big county concert (nope)...  But let Elton John play and they trashed out shit. Beer bottles (and wine coolers) broke everywhere, a shattered windshield on a winch truck rigged to the tower, sharpie down the sides of the truck... 

Now that i think about, Manson might have played also during the months we were there and nothing touched, but Elton John whipped the gays into a frenzy that night and i guess they just wwnted to burn it all down.

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2018 at 8:28 PM, slorch said:

Don't listen to those 'we should go independent' morons. They are divorced from reality. Not even Notre Dame is actually independent anymore.

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

Season ticket holders gotta be juiced for that home slate...lolz.

I understand why maybe some people felt it was a good idea, but in hindsight, I think allowing the league to start scheduling Tech-UT and Tech-OU both in Lubbock and then both away in alternating years when the Big 12 reformed as a ten team conference was a big mistake.  That transition was, of course, made by allowing OU two consecutive home games against Tech (in 2010 and 2011).

8 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Yep.

That right there is why the Baylor game in Dallas never really bothered me. 5 true conf road games vs only 4 home games blows.

Don't get me wrong, I like the full round robin but it's problematic and therefore I prefer having divisions and only 8 conf games. 

42 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

That right there is why the Baylor game in Dallas never really bothered me. 5 true conf road games vs only 4 home games blows.

Don't get me wrong, I like the full round robin but it's problematic and therefore I prefer having divisions and only 8 conf games. 

Didn’t y’all originally want to play the Pokes in the Cotton Bowl like TX/OU either the week before or after our game or was that never a real thing?  That would have been 1000x better than Baylor at Jerryworld.

The very first year of the Big12 we did play oSu there but it was only for the one year. 

Prior to their turning tale and running off to Papa Bama, there was talk about playing aggy every year in Dallas but fans from both sides shot that down rather quickly.

Then, for some reason, there became a push for the conference to play more games on Turkey Day weekend and the '08 Tech/BU was played in Lubbock and no one was there and Tech nearly got beat. Red Raider brass said they didn't want to do that anymore and the Jerryworld matchup was created. But this was when there was still only an 8 game con schedule so it was frowned upon by some.

Fast forward a couple years to aggy's departure and thus the void for who UT would play on said Turkey Day occurred and as you know, Tech and TCU became the visiting team on alternating years.

And the years Tech was not playing UT that weekend would be the years they were the home team in the Baylor series and those games were also played that same holiday weekend. The games when Baylor was home were played earlier in the year.

I think initially the $$$ from sponsors for the Jeryworld games made it worthwhile but both schools have improved their home facilities so now it's probably no longer worth it to give up the home games.

40 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Didn’t y’all originally want to play the Pokes in the Cotton Bowl like TX/OU either the week before or after our game or was that never a real thing?  That would have been 1000x better than Baylor at Jerryworld.

it's a tradeoff for Thanksgiving weekend...which historically is terribly attended in Lubbock but well supported in DFW by Tech fans.

and yeah, I never wanted the aggy game to go to DFW.  They hate coming to Lubbock.  Fuck them.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, baboso said:

The 2010 game was played in the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair.  Week after Texas/OU game.

Vs Baylor, not A&M. In front of 48k

Later we played Northwestern in the Ticket City Bowl at the Cotton Bowl in front of 40k.

Pine Box Tommy defenders tried to play up our New Years Day Bowl game...SMDH.

42 minutes ago, Grippe said:

Alan Bowman is the best QB in the conference IMO. The kid is developing at a frightening pace for a true frosh.

Saw an interview where Kingsbury stated he ran the same offense at Grapevine where he started for 4 years - just needed to adjust to the speed. 

On 10/16/2018 at 3:47 AM, Gaffords said:

I lived in Lubbock for a dozen years or so. I've done alot of work around campus usually wearing (still do) a LH cap. Never had an issue. In fact, it wasn't uncommon to spot 2 or 3 other LH caps around campus on any given day. There been the typical fan exchange here and there,  especially leading up to and after our game weekend, but it never came close to getting out of hand...   

Even funnier is that i've left equipment all over the place on campus for months on end.  From their Basketball arena (during that project, the bantering with some of the aggy working the project tended to have a nastier tone). Our equipment during the stadium renovation was untouched.  But when we did a major reinforcement and upgrade on the the broadcast tower across from the BB complex, the Kiss reunion tour made a stop (no problem), several random venues (nothing touched), a big county concert (nope)...  But let Elton John play and they trashed out shit. Beer bottles (and wine coolers) broke everywhere, a shattered windshield on a winch truck rigged to the tower, sharpie down the sides of the truck... 

Now that i think about, Manson might have played also during the months we were there and nothing touched, but Elton John whipped the gays into a frenzy that night and i guess they just wwnted to burn it all down.

Back in the early 2000's I took my daughter to a basketball camp at Tech. I had a Longhorn cap on when we dropped her off. While waiting on her to get signed in I noticed a middle aged lady behind the desk giving me the stink eye. Arms crossed, obviously pissed off and ended up pointing at me to a Tech campus cop. He walked up and said 'You'll have to either take off the cap or leave this building' I asked what I'd done wrong and he said 'Well, uh, nothing really. But Coach Sharp is not happy that you're wearing it in here' I told him that since I hadn't been disorderly, was there for a valid reason and hadn't committed a crime......was there really any valid reason other than her dislike for my cap? He just smiled and said 'Look man, we deal with this all the time up here. Would you do me a favor and just take it off while you're waiting?' About that time my daughter walked up, ready to walk over to the dorm they were staying in that week. Sharp stood there and watched us all the way to the door. They seem to treat this all like a cross town high school rivalry. I have zero respect for anything Tech.