What starts here changes (and shakes) the World

27-25

The University of Texas' mobile earthquake machine is based on the Vibroseis technology developed by Conoco to support oil & gas exploration. One of the meaningless facts that I learned 40+ years ago that I have been waiting for the opportunity to work into a conversation.  Thanks!

Vibroseis

"A seismic vibrator is a truck-mounted or buggy-mounted device that is capable of injecting low-frequency vibrations into the earth. It is one of a number of seismic sources used in reflection seismology. The ‘Vibroseis’ exploration technique (performed with vibrators) was developed by the Continental Oil Company (Conoco) during the 1950s and was a trademark until the company's patent lapsed.

Today, seismic vibrators are used to perform about half of all seismic surveys on land."

• Like 1

This is just a ramped up version of a vibroseis, we have had them at the Pickle research center for decades, though ours back then were mostly single axis.

The sensor he is talking about is a geophone. Invented in 1915 by a Frenchman, used for counter mining activities. Many modern ones are wireless, and multi component (3 axis) for detecting waves. Fiber optic phones were being tested but Halliburton bought out the company and I hadn’t heard about it since.
Though I haven’t really actively looked.

Subs use hydrophones. Another variant.

The rage for the past 10 years is Fiber optic, which can be deployed over a long line, remain in service, and provide slow strain but loses some directionality.

Geophones are much more affordable, but like any geophysical method, it is just to be seen like a one of many tools for the job.

I used to map the hydro fracks (mini earthquakes) during the well stimulation phase. Watched quite a few fracks behave out of expectation and some treat into unknown faults and ruin sections of their wells. Some of it was real, some companies were hype and did a lot of damage to the reputation of the field.