Red River Shootout Recommendations -- For an Outsider

CoachBrewMotivator

Hello Longhorn Fans,

My partner and I are going to be driving down from Minneapolis, Minnesota on October 5th to attend the Red River Shootout (my Gophers are on a bye that weekend). We'll be up in Section 126. It'll be my first time in Texas but she has some family in the Dallas metro area.

I think we have gameday pretty much planned out, but I was hoping I could get some recommendations on good eateries in the Dallas area. Or, even more generally, areas where I should be looking for Thursday and Friday night? I'm hoping we could venture to some place where there would be an aggregation of Longhorn/Sooner fans preferably with live music, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and OU sucks 👍

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CoachBrewMotivator said:

Hello Longhorn Fans,

My partner and I are going to be driving down from Minneapolis, Minnesota on October 5th to attend the Red River Shootout (my Gophers are on a bye that weekend). We'll be up in Section 126. It'll be my first time in Texas but she has some family in the Dallas metro area.

I think we have gameday pretty much planned out, but I was hoping I could get some recommendations on good eateries in the Dallas area. Or, even more generally, areas where I should be looking for Thursday and Friday night? I'm hoping we could venture to some place where there would be an aggregation of Longhorn/Sooner fans preferably with live music, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and OU sucks 👍

Come to Lee Harvey's on Friday - We'll help you figure out the rest there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Lee Harvey's on Friday. However early you're planning on heading to the game you should go 2 hours earlier.

24 minutes ago, hornbri said:

What is the plan? If it is not beer in wax paper cups by 8am it is not figured out yet. 

These.  The key to game day is wax paper cup beer and a corndog for first breakfast.  Then more wax paper cup beer and other unhealthy food of your choice (boudin balls?  Tamale balls?  Turkey leg?  All three?) for second breakfast.  Then, the game.  With a bottle of whiskey in your boot.

Then after the longhorn victory, more wax paper cup beer and a corn dog that you wave tauntingly at passing sooner fans.  Repeat as necessary.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

Come to Lee Harvey's on Friday - We'll help you figure out the rest there. 

Is that an all-day thing? And / or when is a good time to be there?

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

These.  The key to game day is wax paper cup beer and a corndog for first breakfast.  Then more wax paper cup beer and other unhealthy food of your choice (boudin balls?  Tamale balls?  Turkey leg?  All three?) for second breakfast.  Then, the game.  With a bottle of whiskey in your boot.

Aside from the turkey leg and corndog I'm assuming the foods you've listed are made up. 

I was thinking we'd be driving down to the fair at 7-8am and see what we could find. Hoping gameday will be there because I've only seen them once and that day has left a very sour taste in my mouth. I've heard you guys might have some fried foods down there, so that's on the agenda as well. Think there's a rodeo event at the fair that night as well - haven't seen one of those before. Aside from that drinking and shit-talking -- I'm sure I'll figure out something to say.

6 minutes ago, CoachBrewMotivator said:

Aside from the turkey leg and corndog I'm assuming the foods you've listed are made up. 

I was thinking we'd be driving down to the fair at 7-8am and see what we could find. Hoping gameday will be there because I've only seen them once and that day has left a very sour taste in my mouth. I've heard you guys might have some fried foods down there, so that's on the agenda as well. Think there's a rodeo event at the fair that night as well - haven't seen one of those before. Aside from that drinking and shit-talking -- I'm sure I'll figure out something to say.

It's usually 4pm-9pm or so. 

11 minutes ago, CoachBrewMotivator said:

Not even.  Prepare for the adult version of football food Wonkaland.

• Hook 'Em 1

The State Fair website bigtex.com will have a map and table of where all the fried foods are located, including the specialty/unique things. If there's something I really want to try I usually go get it before 9am so the lines aren't too long. Same with Fletchers corny dogs.

Only Okies and noobs wait in the first coupon line they see past the entrance. That line is usually super long, and if you go a little further you can usually find a coupon booth with no wait. Especially at 8am or whatever.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Amigo, there are some things about which I do not joke.

Tasty fried goodness is one of those things.

Looks pretty damn good if I do say so myself. Think we were going to look for some fried gumbo balls and fried butter for sure because what the fuck is that

8 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Only Okies and noobs wait in the first coupon line they see past the entrance. That line is usually super long, and if you go a little further you can usually find a coupon booth with no wait. Especially at 8am or whatever.

Thank you, super helpful I'm sure I would have been one of those people. Got to look like I know what I'm doing even though I have no clue, right?

58 minutes ago, CoachBrewMotivator said:

Oh, also. We were planning on going to Goldee's very early Friday morning. Is it even worth trying to go to a pronounced BBQ place on a weekend like this?

Probably not. Cattlelack is just as good without the monster line. Terry Black’s in Deep Ellum puts out quality que and is about 1 mile from the Cotton Bowl. 

The Rustic and Truckyard are two bigger venues that will be fun Friday night (if you don’t go to Lee Harvey’s). The Rustic will probably have live music. Lots of other fun places near Truckyard; HG Supply, Hide, Standard Service, Libertine, Rye.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Then after the longhorn victory, more wax paper cup beer and a corn dog that you wave tauntingly at passing sooner fans.  Repeat as necessary.

I’m a straight corndog man for TX/ou.  One early, one right before entering the stafium, and one after the game.  All accompanied by wax paper cup beers.  I appreciate diversity, but I eat corndogs once a year, and a fried margarita or whatever other silliness is on tap doesn’t really do it for me.