Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

15 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

This cut me deeply to my core

Well, when you and your colleagues understandably decide to take your gifts and go all Shirley Jackson on somebody's ass...please make sure I'm far away.  But close enough I can film it.  

55 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Chicago-Teachers-Union.jpg?fit=1481,864

You should start a thread about this. It's actually really sad and so many upset people: there are multiple factions-parents who want in-person school, parents who want remote (subset is parents who want remote but have no tech to support it), teachers (also divided), the teachers union, and the administration. Combined with absolutely horrific communication by the folks who should know better. A 44 year old teacher died the week of Thanksgiving and parents of students at the campus were apparently never notified.

With over 300,000 students, these large districts really have to sit down with all the players in order to have constructive dialogue because right now they are all shouting past each other.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well, when you and your colleagues understandably decide to take your gifts and go all Shirley Jackson on somebody's ass...please make sure I'm far away.  But close enough I can film it.  

Rep for the lit reference. That short story was always creepy af.

Creepy AF?  It was beyond creepy.  In light of January 6th, go back and read it tonight...

Fucking thing scarred me for half my childhood.  My 5th grade literature teacher assigned that to me, said it was a cult classic and that I'd like it.  What the fuck does that mean?  Who the hell gives that story to a damn 10 year old?  Anyway, years later in high school when I was just in regular English, they assigned it again and I was like, "Nope, I'm good.  All set here, fuck that shit." 

Teacher was like, "yes, the end is a little disturbing Lobo."  But by that point, I was old enough to see the real darkness behind the story.  The ending isn't the shocking part, it's the calm buildup of mob mentality.  It's the violence for the illusory trade that you can wash away the bad to make way for the good that they were promised.  The beginning of the story is where the real horror lies.  And I'm seeing it now play out, in real time, in my own country.  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Creepy AF?  It was beyond creepy.  In light of January 6th, go back and read it tonight...

Fucking thing scarred me for half my childhood.  My 5th grade literature teacher assigned that to me, said it was a cult classic and that I'd like it.  What the fuck does that mean?  Who the hell gives that story to a damn 10 year old?  Anyway, years later in high school when I was just in regular English, they assigned it again and I was like, "Nope, I'm good.  All set here, fuck that shit." 

Teacher was like, "yes, the end is a little disturbing Lobo."  But by that point, I was old enough to see the real darkness behind the story.  The ending isn't the shocking part, it's the calm buildup of mob mentality.  It's the violence for the illusory trade that you can wash away the bad to make way for the good that they were promised.  The beginning of the story is where the real horror lies.  And I'm seeing it now play out, in real time, in my own country.  

Well, yeah. I mean Lord of the Flies hit the reader over the head the moment the youths hit the shore. Jackson sets the scene as if a wedding quartet was about to play Four Seasons in the chapel.

Good comparison.  The second act of Lord of the Flies is too long, IMO.  The trouble doesn't so much brew as it just starts spilling out from the start.  

The shock of the end of The Lottery gets you the first time.

The pleasant buildup of these people acting like ants in an ant colony, but happy and bubbly gets you the second time.

Third time you read it during a coup provoked by mob mentality and the perverse notion that violence can somehow bring about a plenty, that gets you the third time.

Anyway, back to nurse's new pet rocks.  I hope somebody paints MAGA on it and throws it at Trump's golf cart. 

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Anyway, back to nurse's new pet rocks.  I hope somebody paints MAGA on it and throws it at Trump's golf cart. 

Given the setting and being surrounded by critical COVID patients, I found the stones might be taken a different way. But they probably didn't make the connection to that symbolism either.

On 1/9/2022 at 12:21 PM, brakeman said:

See? They deserve that rock that they can paint an encouraging word on for themselves in lieu of compensation or relief. 

In American Caesar, Wm Manchester's book about MacArthur, he recounted a limerick repeated by the doomed soldiers of the Bataan Peninsula. They were continually told relief was coming from the US, but it was a lie.

We're the battling bastards of Bataan;
No mama, no papa, no Uncle Sam.
No aunts, no uncles, no cousins, no nieces,
No pills, no planes, no artillery pieces.
And nobody gives a damn.

We should book all the resorts in Cancun and fly hospital workers there for free to stay for two weeks on us. They can talk to each other, eat, drink, screw, swim, whatever they feel like doing.

It seems like the least we could do. Well, other than the rock idea.

• Hook 'Em 2