10,000 burpees in 2023

Currently down 25.4 lbs for the year, as of this morning. 

Been harder to eat simply/healthy lately, and haven't been quite as disciplined, both in terms of my overall diet, snacking (a buddy sent me a big box of various oddball snacks and candy from Japan that I have been raiding late at night lately...), keeping track of what I eat in My Fitness Pal, and in getting my burpees done. But most of that is just due to summer schedule stuff, and I don't want to start climbing back up so soon - want to plateau in the 165 neighborhood for a while so that it'll take longer for me to eventually gain it back. 

MBU will probably be done by Halloween, but Celery Man and I are both hanging in there and staying a little ahead of the pace.

Keep up the good work, dudes! 

Screenshot_20230801_135801_MyFitnessPal.jpg

Screenshot_20230801_140122_MyFitnessPal.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I was wondering for a bit if you had dropped off but it looks like you just had some data entry to do. I guess @WithoutAClue is in it too, just not using the spreadsheet? It's you two, me, and @Message Board User still in the game?

Past couple of days I've upped it to two sets of twenty. I actually had a brief sickness a week or so ago that took me out of it for a day (although it was split across two calendar days, missed one evening and one morning). I definitely feel like I am getting stronger. I have not lost any weight at all - a bit more muscle around the shoulders but I absolutely fell off my cycling goal while succeeding wildly with my "learn how to make tortillas" goal.

I'm actually a little irritated - my dentist convinced me to do invisalign to help with some rubbing that she said was going to cause problems, it's been several months of having shit in my mouth that makes snacking between meals a complete pain in the ass. No associated weight loss. Although I guess there's a school of thought that eating throughout the day is better. Either way, weight loss wasn't a goal for me here really. I am a little excited about having some different stuff going on around my shoulders - I'm not going to continue this exact fucking burpee goal into 2024 but I'll keep up at least a bit and maybe commit to something different with a more intentional outcome.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unseen forces are conspiring against me and my efforts. 

Had COVID last week (still testing positive, but feel more or less okay), and doing a set of 20 for the first time felt like it did back in last January.

But I persevered until I stubbed the shit out of my big toe running into a concrete curb, which will sideline me for at least another few days, or maybe even a week or more. But it's a lot better than I thought (technically, it's less terrible than I feared) so it probably won't be a long-term issue. Hope not, at least... 

• Rage+1 1

I think that I might be able to do a burpee with my toe at this point, but I think there's a relatively significant non-zero chance that it could be a terrible mistake, so I'm going to continue sitting on the IR until after the holiday weekend, if for no other reason than I don't want to be reinjured for the weekend... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

• 5 weeks later...

Unfortunately, my shoulder is giving me grief again, and I think I have to take another break. That's pretty much going to put 10k out of reach for me, as it first flared up this spring when I was doing 60 a day, and now it seems like doing 40 a day about 5-6 days a week has re-aggravated it. And I have a ton of work travel coming up, and I don't like to do them in hotel rooms anyway (carpets tend to tear up my toes, and I don't care to be facedown and breathing heavily on hotel carpet...). 

But my weight has plateaued nicely in the 165-170ish range, and I'm not watching what I eat nearly as closely as I had to earlier in the year. 

Screenshot_20230927_140029_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.c08112b7920f442b899e8aa6d5b4dfd9.jpg

I will resume whenever I can and at whatever pace I can handle, but keep up the good work! 

• Rage+1 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this on year one and it almost derailed my entire year (because old). 

So, having said that, I'm going to start warming up the joints for 2024.

30 burpees a day should be reasonable in 3 sets of 10.

Keep it going peeps. Your old body will thank you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Missed Prepuce's update a couple of weeks back but figure that might be the case.

I've been rolling. It's helped that I've identified one of our couches as being a cause of back pain for me and have stopped using it altogether, but I also feel like maybe I've built up some strength and this has helped with nagging back pain stuff that I've had since the pandemic and that sidelined me a few times earlier in the year. Haven't missed a day since May, although i had a couple of days where I was sick or forgot and only managed 15. I've also had days where I forgot in the morning but have done 30 in one go, which sucks now but would not have been possible at the beginning of the year.

Anyways, looks like I'm on track to finish..... Dec 19. So actually I need to start putting some extra sets in - we're expecting a baby around the 15th of December and I imagine that will knock me out for the remainder of the year. 

I don't know that I'll try and do the 10k burpees again for 2024 but I want to do some other similar thing - I've never been a big exercise guy because i don't enjoy it and I've never had enough of a reason to stick with it long enough to see some tangible results (that can't be better attributed to diet changes etc). But the "do this thing where the goal is to stay on track" works better for me, obviously. Thinking about getting some weights, maybe doing some modified x pushups and something else free weight related.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

So here's the deal: You calculate your maximum heart rate by taking 220 and subtracting your age. So, if you're 18, that means 202bpm is your max; exceed that, and you're endangering your health. Now you can pretty much snort cocaine while drinking a quadruple espresso and attempting to do the Boston Marathon at a full sprint and not hit 202bpm at age 18, so you generally don't think much of this.

At my age, that number is considerably lower. Try... 170. 170... is very easy to hit at age 50. Which means my aerobic target heart rate is between 120-137 bpm. My dudes, I have a smartwatch tracking my pulse rate; do you have any idea how slow I have to run to keep my heart rate below 137? It's basically slower than a fast walk.

But if I push myself harder, I literally make myself sick. So I've been forcing myself to keep under 137, 3 times a week, 30 minutes sustained. And then I talk walks on the other days or rest.

But you better believe it... I'm getting better. I'm starting to be able to cover more distance, jog faster. But it took a month to get there; a very depressing and frustrating but ultimately successful month. I didn't get sick, and NOW I'm starting to get better.

Burpees are right out for me. But I'm happy for y'all.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a little antsy. Was on a solid uninterrupted streak (a few 15 burpee days in there but still) and then we had a trip to New York where I missed them. I think I’m projected to finish mid December (I’m at 8555, plus another 20 I just did) but we’re having a baby in mid-early December. So, bumping up to 40/day, maybe sometimes 60 (sets of 20). Gotta get this wrapped up.

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I’m a little antsy. Was on a solid uninterrupted streak (a few 15 burpee days in there but still) and then we had a trip to New York where I missed them. I think I’m projected to finish mid December (I’m at 8555, plus another 20 I just did) but we’re having a baby in mid-early December. So, bumping up to 40/day, maybe sometimes 60 (sets of 20). Gotta get this wrapped up.

Congratulations on the impending spawn! 

I believe that I'm a bit older and more decrepit than you, but generally speaking, I would encourage you to listen closely to your body if/when you turn up the wick. Sometimes a short term gain can come at the expense of long-term durability... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Down to the wire, 375 left. Only hit 15 yesterday because my wife’s water broke immediately after I finished my 30 for Saturday, spent Sunday am in the hospital. I was hoping to hit the finish line before baby 2 landed but I’m close enough now that it’s gonna happen no matter what. Some encouragement this morning -

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@Message Board User   10,005

@WithoutAClue  10,001

@Celery Man   10,000

@Prepuce of Doom   6,580

@TTU13   2,976

@Your Mom   2,050

@Rimbo  1,056

@Telegraph_it  1,117

@danhorn111   980

@Dbeasy  52

Three of us made it (at least according to spreadsheet and quickly scanning the thread). 

The rest of us made it as far as we could for our own various reasons and there's a lot to be said for even making the effort. Personally, in hindsight, I'm beginning to believe that it was good fortune that I broke my toe in late August because my shoulders are now fucking killing me sometimes, especially after sleeping on my side. 

But dropping the daily exercise (plus once school started, and then again when the weather here in Chicago turned cold, the Doomlet and I have spent less and less time walking around doing Pokémon Go together). But it felt great to be that slim - was down 30 lbs. on a few different days. 

Screenshot_20240101_163334_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.8e2daa8158167ebc57ea6012e2b7968a.jpg

I ended up losing 17.5 lbs. compared to my weight on January 1st, 2023 - 192.9 to 175.4. 

I kind of viewed everything from Halloween through New Year's as being fair game in terms of what I ate, plus I had a lot of work travel which is generally either eating lavish and decadent or else rushed and shitty/unhealthy. 

I am definitely uncomfortable right now compared to being even five pounds lighter, which shouldn't take me too long to achieve. I'm aiming to stay between 165 and 170, and will probably find myself on the upper side that range more often than the lower... 

My year:

Screenshot_20240101_163307_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.c5dfa11263a33adc083c3839b86585c7.jpg

I need to find something to replace my daily burpees. I am lazy as shit and not a natural exerciser - the two times I've done this burpee challenge are all that I've routinely exercised in years. Maybe 10,000 situps? 

Thanks to all for joining me - I wouldn't have kept at it without the accountability and tracking that you all provided - especially @Rimbo for creating the spreadsheet! 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 5

Fuck doing another burpee, but I’m toying with committing to 5k pushups. I’m definitely stronger in the shoulders and would like to keep that. I don’t know how to start but I’d like to do some free lifting or whatever, just stuff for a stronger back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

@Message Board User   10,005

@WithoutAClue  10,001

@Celery Man   10,000

@Prepuce of Doom   6,580

@TTU13   2,976

@Your Mom   2,050

@Rimbo  1,056

@Telegraph_it  1,117

@danhorn111   980

Three of us made it (at least according to spreadsheet and quickly scanning the thread). 

The rest of us made it as far as we could for our own various reasons and there's a lot to be said for even making the effort. Personally, in hindsight, I'm beginning to believe that it was good fortune that I broke my toe in late August because my shoulders are now fucking killing me sometimes, especially after sleeping on my side. 

But dropping the daily exercise (plus once school started, and then again when the weather here in Chicago turned cold, the Doomlet and I have spent less and less time walking around doing Pokémon Go together). But it felt great to be that slim - was down 30 lbs. on a few different days. 

Screenshot_20240101_163334_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.8e2daa8158167ebc57ea6012e2b7968a.jpg

I ended up losing 17.5 lbs. compared to my weight on January 1st, 2023 - 192.9 to 175.4. 

I kind of viewed everything from Halloween through New Year's as being fair game in terms of what I ate, plus I had a lot of work travel which is generally either eating lavish and decadent or else rushed and shitty/unhealthy. 

I am definitely uncomfortable right now compared to being even five pounds lighter, which shouldn't take me too long to achieve. I'm aiming to stay between 165 and 170, and will probably find myself on the upper side that range more often than the lower... 

My year:

Screenshot_20240101_163307_MyFitnessPal.thumb.jpg.c5dfa11263a33adc083c3839b86585c7.jpg

I need to find something to replace my daily burpees. I am lazy as shit and not a natural exerciser - the two times I've done this burpee challenge are all that I've routinely exercised in years. Maybe 10,000 situps? 

Thanks to all for joining me - I wouldn't have kept at it without the accountability and tracking that you all provided - especially @Rimbo for creating the spreadsheet! 

@dbeasy 52. Then injured. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, in the end, I lost weight not because I was exercising, but because I got hella sick last week and could only shit and sleep for 3 days. Couldn't eat.

0/10 would not recommend

So now I'm trying to stay healthy without gaining that weight back. Neat trick.

• Prepare your anus 1