OUsucks @ #6 Texas - 1pm, ESPN+

Js1

We make winning look difficult, these teams don't normally go far in March. 

The poor start to games has gone from an anomaly to a feature at this point. This leads to the team leaning far too much on Carr to bail them out. 

Its fair to say we are not trending up towards the end of the season. The defense is simply not the same etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

In a vacuum but there is a lot of concern for the brand of basketball we have seen post Beard. This ugly win doesn’t wash the stink of the Tech loss and lackluster first half performances off by any means. 

Post Beard we are playing a much better brand of basketball offensively. The defense is hard to judge because Beard coached a schedule that included a bunch of bad basketball teams.

The 3 big OOC schools combined for a shooting line of .446/.333/.682, in the Big 12 Texas is allowing a triple line of .436/.366/.771, the difference of 3.3 more 3's per 100 shots.

The difference is marginal defensively.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Great teams should crush crappy teams like OU….

Errrr except the current #1 team in the country actually got throttled by OU. Maybe OU is actually a quality win.

I’ll just enjoy the wins when they come.

Road vs home games make a huge difference. OU is not a terrible team, certainly better than their record would indicate, and they are definitely capable of beating anyone on a given night when they get hot. I am not sure how much of today was them playing lights out vs. us playing meh. We have been playing meh for a few games in a row now. Yes, definitely celebrate the win but there are reasons to be concerned as well.

Edited by UTEE97

This has been a brutal season for OU.
7 losses by 4 points or less. They're right there in almost every game but can't find a way to win close games. 
Yeah, that's the thing. It's fairly obvious the best assistant on staff is actually Donewald. 

Is that the Christ Christie clone or the older guy who looks like he enjoys Marlboros and Wellers?

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I’ll just enjoy the wins when they come.

i cannot stand fan attitudes like this. this holier than thou, "i'm above all of this criticism that you debbie downers love to invent" shit is tiresome. how the team plays matters, or have you already forgotten the entire shaka smart era where we'd win (and lose) a bunch of super close games that never should have been close in the first place, resulting in teams that won zero tourney games in six years.

whenever i hear people like hookem1247 (immortal) or hook em here talking down on those of us who don't just blindly accept every win as a step in the right direction, their whole attitude and tone reminds me of the girl in this gus johnson sketch:

like, "you guys can go searching for reasons to be upset if you want to, meanwhile I'll be over here being a great fan." 🙄 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Post Beard we are playing a much better brand of basketball offensively.

that's just not true, in fact the opposite is true. we're scoring more now, but the offense was more efficient and featured way fewer crappy shots and empty possessions under beard then it does now. and RT puts up with shitty offensive play from individual players a lot longer than beard does. also Carr initiated the offense more under RT than he did under Beard. I loved our offense under beard this season because so many of our looks were practice reps. it's one of the reasons we weren't routinely falling behind early in games. i think our team has jelled as the season has gone along and i think guys have found their place in the offense (rice and brock in particular), but i much preferred the offense under beard than i do Terry. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Its fair to say we are not trending up towards the end of the season. The defense is simply not the same etc. 

I don't see how any of the recent defensive performances are worse than the early part of the conference season or that the trends are downwards from that point. We also had to struggle to beat OU back in the opening conference game on December 31st. Seems to me the play has been consistent the whole conference season and has earned us a 10-4 record and a tie for first place. This might be one of the greatest college basketball conferences ever. All the teams are good. I don't see anybody else just dominating every game from beginning to end so I am confused why you think we should. 

Anyway we needed this one. Iowa State is probably our biggest game this season thus far. We cannot lose it and then go on the road. Let's go!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Road vs home games make a huge difference. OU is not a terrible team, certainly better than their record would indicate, and they are definitely capable of beating anyone on a given night when they get hot. I am not sure how much of today was them playing lights out vs. us playing meh. We have been playing meh for a few games in a row now. Yes, definitely celebrate the win but there are reasons to be concerned as well.

Ok fair point about the home vs away thing. I guess I was just expecting something bad to happen today so Texas managing to win at all is such a relief.

The reason to celebrate the win is because if we had lost it, it would have been disastrous. But still alive.

Unless we get some overmatched mid major in the first round of the NCAA I have just kind of resigned myself to the fact that every game is going to be brutal for the rest of the year.

Edited by Valmy77

Yeah, I would have liked a better performance but I didn’t think we matched up well with OU.  I didn’t see a lot of urgency through most of the game. I’ve seen this type of play before.  But, if it bleeds over to Tuesday we will have a problem.