Classic Car thread

TexasEd

On 3/7/2024 at 6:31 PM, Armybrat said:

74C4AE32-11AB-4E59-A2FA-FFC6A02A56B4.webp

This post should not go unappreciated. That car really floats my boat.

I really think I may do a restoration of a Sunbeam Alpine to match what Grace Kelly drove in To Catch A Thief.

image.png.e6da018cbf0d5057731968eb777d80b1.png

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Caught this beauty at Central Market this evening… betting that it belongs to a member of the Najo Average Orchestra playing there tonight…

Lordy!fc17f2624ae80f03765bd4eb31c3f45c.jpg

Going with the typical theme of Surlys, the inspection is past due, therefore, I would not drive it.

• 2 weeks later...

First box of parts from Summit Racing arrived.  New oil pan.  Can’t wait to build the new engine, block is currently getting a dip and hone.

IMG_4592.thumb.jpeg.8a58a43b18e65adfb78e851f2c43226c.jpeg

Body shop sent me a picture of the painted cowl.  They are waiting for lower humidity to paint the body.  Said they won’t send pics of the body, I have to come see it in person. :)

54E3FDA9-5471-4756-BF22-B6C7B6F6C783.thumb.jpeg.a2a661fc2ce0dc2e8578c37d240b8228.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

First box of parts from Summit Racing arrived.  New oil pan.  Can’t wait to build the new engine, block is currently getting a dip and hone.

IMG_4592.thumb.jpeg.8a58a43b18e65adfb78e851f2c43226c.jpeg

Body shop sent me a picture of the painted cowl.  They are waiting for lower humidity to paint the body.  Said they won’t send pics of the body, I have to come see it in person. :)

54E3FDA9-5471-4756-BF22-B6C7B6F6C783.thumb.jpeg.a2a661fc2ce0dc2e8578c37d240b8228.jpeg

Lower humidity - better plan for a Christmas paint job  :)

• 3 weeks later...

It is going to be a beautiful new car, and I can hardly wait to see its finished photos. 
Is that an original or reproduction ‘62 chrome grill?

However, I sure hope it isn’t going to have a Lucas Electrics wiring harness, two six volt batteries, and non-fireproof floorboards.
Guess you know what I am talking about. 😁

Edited by Armybrat

I've had my 69' C10 for 20 years now.  Great truck, but nothing fancy.  I've always only carried liability insurance on it because of all of the restrictions associated with guaranteed value full coverage.  I just learned that Hagerty has policies that don't have mileage limiters and don't require vehicles to be kept in the garage.  Still can't be a daily driver, but that just means you might have to show proof of owning another vehicle.  I just got a new Hagerty policy that has collision and comp for about $100 more per year than my previous liability policy.

Not sure if anyone else is in a similar situation, but I thought I'd pass along the info.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

It is going to be a beautiful new car, and I can hardly wait to see its finished photos. 
Is that an original or reproduction ‘62 chrome grill?

However, I sure hope it isn’t going to have a Lucas Electrics wiring harness, two six volt batteries, and non-fireproof floorboards.
Guess you know what I am talking about. 😁

It's a new harness and will be one 12V positive ground battery. Also original grill - a replacement by the guys doing the work. All my chrome is or will be original except hubcaps. Everyone wants 150 per cap I can buy 4 new ones for 150. Also the wing mirrors will be Lucas clones since OEM is unobtainable. I definitely what what you are talking about. Back in college on my first one the starter switch - it is a pull cable to the switch that sends to starter - shorted out while eating lunch. The arc was similar to an arc welder until battery drained. Melted about a foot of the harness. Luckily I got to Sears and bought wire and crimps. Car was running by dinner. had to crank start a few days until a new switch arrived.

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I've had my 69' C10 for 20 years now.  Great truck, but nothing fancy.  I've always only carried liability insurance on it because of all of the restrictions associated with guaranteed value full coverage.  I just learned that Hagerty has policies that don't have mileage limiters and don't require vehicles to be kept in the garage.  Still can't be a daily driver, but that just means you might have to show proof of owning another vehicle.  I just got a new Hagerty policy that has collision and comp for about $100 more per year than my previous liability policy.

Not sure if anyone else is in a similar situation, but I thought I'd pass along the info.

Interesting - I have Haggerty on the MGA and they require a garage

59 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

It's a new harness and will be one 12V positive ground battery. Also original grill - a replacement by the guys doing the work. All my chrome is or will be original except hubcaps. Everyone wants 150 per cap I can buy 4 new ones for 150. Also the wing mirrors will be Lucas clones since OEM is unobtainable. I definitely what what you are talking about. Back in college on my first one the starter switch - it is a pull cable to the switch that sends to starter - shorted out while eating lunch. The arc was similar to an arc welder until battery drained. Melted about a foot of the harness. Luckily I got to Sears and bought wire and crimps. Car was running by dinner. had to crank start a few days until a new switch arrived.

I may have posted awhile ago that one time my 1960 MGA floorboard (under my drivers seat) caught on fire. 
Pulled over on the side of 290 in NE Austin with smoke billowing out from under my seat. 
Popped the seat bottom out and saw a hole the size of my fist with the edges glowing like red hot charcoal…..and getting bigger. 
Long story short - since in 1965 it was before the days when everyone carried a water bottle in their car, I wound up having to piss on the hole to put it out. 
Steaming pee has a quite pungent odor, to say the least.

Apparently a couple days before when I had run over a big chunk of a tire on 183 north of Luling, the exhaust pipe had been jammed up against the underside of the wooden floorboard. Dunno why it didn’t catch fire sooner than it did. 
Anyway, the next day I used one of my Mom’s stove top burner covers (sheet metal with asbestos liner) to mount between the pipe and the floorboard. Drilled four holes and used household nuts, bolts & washers to secure it. Worked just fine until I sold the car a year later to an airman out at Bergstrom AFB for $600 cash.

Never quite got all the old piss smell out of it.

My car looked just like this one except for the badge bar between the bumper overriders. 
And mine had red leather seats.

(forgive me if I posted all this here before)

IMG_2435.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm on a classic truck/jeep policy, so that might be the difference.  I'm just glad to have better coverage.

To be fair I haven't read the policy in  a year or two. They might have changed it

15 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Only because  I had not seen it in 3-4 years - I drove up to Michigan where the work is being done. It getting closer to finished. Probably late summer.

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

It was good to get up there and see it. I did not realize how much minor detail stuff remains. The piping has to sit for several weeks or it will bunch up. Need to polish the gauge surrounds. I knew the cockpit rails and dash need recovering and that is a real pain. Lots of curves and angles done just right so it doesn't look like I did it. I am doing the interior when it gets back

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Hagerty required ragtops to be garaged (mine car with them is, and is) but has no such requirement for hardtops and non-convertibles, but that's just a guess. 

My son keeps his ‘69 with its original ragtop in the garage…

IMG_3079.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1