Classic Car thread

TexasEd

On 9/29/2023 at 12:34 PM, coachherman'sgrill said:

Here is my old girl. I am probably going with black primer over the winter. 

68 chevelle primer (1).JPG

Ever thought of a wrap?  Could make it look pretty nice overnight.  
I love Chevelles btw.  I’m restoring a 67 convertible Malibu. 

• Like 2

I have but I love the primer look. I don't like worrying about paint or a wrap for that one. It's meant to scare you and go fast. I think a flat matte black would be perfect for me but those are even more upkeep from what I have read and seen.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Pics?

It ain’t pretty yet.  I’m doing it all in a single garage stall including paint.  It’s been a long process.  Had the car since college about 1993.  Started tearing it down years ago.  Stripped to bare metal.  Replaced most of both floor pans, both quarter panels and most of trunk floor.  Taken off frame.  I painted the BC/CC last winter but hadn’t buffed it out yet.  So that’s what I’m doing now.  Doors, hood and trunk lid still need to be painted.  Interior has knock off dynamat.  New AAW wiring harness is partly in.  Engine was rebuilt a few years ago with very few miles.  350 block, Edelbrock heads, lunati cam.  Trans is just a turbo 350 automatic.  Hope to get my painting done before it gets cold and do a lot of assembly this winter.  IMG_2329.thumb.jpeg.953277575221ff467e84774c45104c30.jpeg
The plastic hanging from the ceiling is from when I painted it over the winter.  Ghetto paint booth.  Very little debris in the paint but a decent amount of orange peel that I had to flatten.   Sorry I don’t have any better pics. 
But I do have a pic of my 86 Grand National that I also painted 15+ years ago:

IMG_2152.thumb.jpeg.fa330016cffed1fba220caa1c0fd9c51.jpeg

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Pics?
It ain’t pretty yet.  I’m doing it all in a single garage stall including paint.  It’s been a long process.  Had the car since college about 1993.  Started tearing it down years ago.  Stripped to bare metal.  Replaced most of both floor pans, both quarter panels and most of trunk floor.  Taken off frame.  I painted the BC/CC last winter but hadn’t buffed it out yet.  So that’s what I’m doing now.  Doors, hood and trunk lid still need to be painted.  Interior has knock off dynamat.  New AAW wiring harness is partly in.  Engine was rebuilt a few years ago with very few miles.  350 block, Edelbrock heads, lunati cam.  Trans is just a turbo 350 automatic.  Hope to get my painting done before it gets cold and do a lot of assembly this winter.  IMG_2329.thumb.jpeg.953277575221ff467e84774c45104c30.jpeg
The plastic hanging from the ceiling is from when I painted it over the winter.  Ghetto paint booth.  Very little debris in the paint but a decent amount of orange peel that I had to flatten.   Sorry I don’t have any better pics. 
But I do have a pic of my 86 Grand National that I also painted 15+ years ago:
IMG_2152.thumb.jpeg.fa330016cffed1fba220caa1c0fd9c51.jpeg

That’s how you come into the thread.
  • Like 1

I love driving my old truck as a semi daily driver.  The commute is much more interactive.  Driving home from work yesterday, about 8 miles, and was prompted to play identify that smell - twice.  Burning oil and burning rubber.  Step one - oh shit.  Step two - scan the other vehicles ahead of you to determine which vehicle could be emitting that smell.  Step three - get ahead of the other vehicle to see if the smell goes away.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I love driving my old truck as a semi daily driver.  The commute is much more interactive.  Driving home from work yesterday, about 8 miles, and was prompted to play identify that smell - twice.  Burning oil and burning rubber.  Step one - oh shit.  Step two - scan the other vehicles ahead of you to determine which vehicle could be emitting that smell.  Step three - get ahead of the other vehicle to see if the smell goes away.
This is my life man, I'm always hyper-sensitive to sounds and smells when in vehicles, especially old ones. Glad I'm not the only one, lulz.
  • Like 1

I remember when I was in high school, I had a 1957 Chevy stepside with a big wrap around back glass. I was at the red light in town headed home and noticed a shit load of smoke. I started checked out the vehicles around me, thinking someone is burning a lot of oil.

Looked out in my mirror map I could see one tail pipe. I was running a mosquito killer.

Took it home and tore it down. Piston was about halfway sheared off. I kept it after the rebuild because of how bad it was.

• Hook 'Em 1

My dream car is the 58 Impala convertible. I got to take a ride around Havana in one a while back. It was spectaculars. They’re had to come by though. From what I understand ‘58 was a recession year and they just didn’t make as many of them.

My grandmother had a 58, black with red interior. I don’t like them all glitzed up with fender skirts or a Conti kit or Jc Whitney spotlights and shit.

I’d really love a 67 hardtop Impala SS.
  • Like 1

In 1980 I bought a 1960 Impala from the original - get this - little old lady that barely drove it - less than 80,000 miles. Everything original, never wrecked, not a dent, AC still worked FFS. Had that wrap-around rear window. Paid $400!. I rue the day I sold it - had it for a few years. I was a full-time doc student on 1/2-time TA pay - needed every penny. Sold it for $600. Fuck me.

Could have been mine - same colors, hub caps. 💔

my-chevy.jpeg

Edited by Fuga
fuck my fingers
  • Rage+1 2

On 10/3/2023 at 8:18 PM, Lhorn said:

Reposting my ‘67 Malibu Coupe 283/3 on the tree. 
Bought it new ($2,685) in the Fall of that year before the ‘68s came out. 
Sold it for $1,000 cash in 1973 with 67,000 miles on the clock.
Don’t know why I didn’t take a color pic of that beautiful blue.

Easter 1968:

61DFFE87-C51A-422A-9E1A-450F54DFE200.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Reposting my ‘67 Malibu Coupe 283/3 on the tree. 
Bought it new ($2,685) in the Fall of that year before the ‘68s came out. 
Sold it for $1,000 cash in 1973 with 67,000 miles on the clock.
Don’t know why I didn’t take a color pic of that beautiful blue.

Easter 1968:

61DFFE87-C51A-422A-9E1A-450F54DFE200.jpeg

I forgot about this color pic of that Malibu parked in front of our first house we bought in northeast Austin in 1971. Parked next to the 1958 Oldsmobile 88 sedan inherited from my grandma. That one had about 50,000 on the odometer when I sold it for $200 in 1975. The Olds got 8-9 mpg in town on leaded premium gas. Quite a chrome barge and one of the worst ever made. 
The Malibu was one of the best cars we ever owned. Pic doesn't’ really show the color at all though.

5E8BD202-5582-471A-9922-FCCF2E67E317.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Please give me suggestions on how to sell 6 60's and 70's era VW's. One would likely drive home with battery and maybe tires replaced. 3 would need battery, tires and some interior (the seats are removed but available). 2 are essentially parts cars. They are parked on some land I inherited. 

I would probably start with a VW forum. Don't know which one to suggest though. VW Vortex could be a good or a terrible place to start. 

https://www.vwvortex.com/forums/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Please give me suggestions on how to sell 6 60's and 70's era VW's. One would likely drive home with battery and maybe tires replaced. 3 would need battery, tires and some interior (the seats are removed but available). 2 are essentially parts cars. They are parked on some land I inherited. 

To maximize price and interest... Get the ones running that you can.  They will sell for more and quicker in running condition.  Don't worry about tires, shocks, as much but having it run and decent brakes are key. Put the seats back in them.  Try to have parts on the car instead of in boxes.  Boxes of parts with an incomplete car are a red flag.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

www.thesamba.com

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2023 at 4:43 PM, Chad Fuck said:

No question the late 70s was a malaise in many ways including power plants.

But I was just talking about the look. I really liked the black with gold trim.

I was in hs in the 80s and the 79 T/A was quite the grail vehicle.  We knew that the 6.6 was choked out with emission controls, but still.

We all scoffed at the Turbo T/A with the miserable 5.0 engine.  But like the Buick turbos, those things put out amazing power (underrated) for the time.  Although they weren't very highly rated from the factory, just like the turbo 3.8, I believe they were actually producing hp well into the 200s, the likes of which wouldn't be seen again for another decade or more.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kind of that. But also that car had some sheet metal issues that I didn’t realize when I bought it. I spent a bunch of energy and resources making everything mechanical really good. But to fix the aesthetics would require taking it all apart. And that’s at least $100k these days. I had it for 9 years, had some great fun with it. Just felt it was time to turn the page.

Might get another something some day. For now I’m digging the water.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Kind of that. But also that car had some sheet metal issues that I didn’t realize when I bought it. I spent a bunch of energy and resources making everything mechanical really good. But to fix the aesthetics would require taking it all apart. And that’s at least $100k these days. I had it for 9 years, had some great fun with it. Just felt it was time to turn the page.

Might get another something some day. For now I’m digging the water.

Anxiously awaiting a “Hot women who’ve taken a ride on my boat” thread.
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:23 AM, Jerry Callo said:

So true.  My '69 Chevy C-10 is pretty basic, but I'll be damned if something doesn't break every other week. 

Listen to this guy, he knows.

Driving down the highway at 70 mph and my buddy says "seems to be running well" - 15 seconds later nothing.  Coast to a stop on the shoulder.  Cranks fine.  Plenty of fuel.  Looks like I'll be trouble shooting the HEI this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

One more since it timed out. I think I've what I mentioned how difficult it was to get the Iris Blue close to what it should be. And as you can see - any light makes it look different

image.thumb.jpeg.89e2dd31fb0eb337b7dd03fbe012707d.jpeg

I love the color. I remember all of us looking at different chips of color and nothing seemed to make sense.

What are you going to do for the interior? Standard black, or a nice warm chocolate brown, or something off the wall fun?

31 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I love the color. I remember all of us looking at different chips of color and nothing seemed to make sense.

What are you going to do for the interior? Standard black, or a nice warm chocolate brown, or something off the wall fun?

Standard black - interesting that the seats we had made in 1980 are still pretty solid. Under that tarp in Georgia they didn't get wet. Definitely new carpet etc.

If I put a top on it it will NOT be white. Dad did this and white only looks good for a week or so

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I'd been meaning to replace the bed wood in my truck for quite some time and finally got around to doing it this past week.
Before spending $$$ on one of the kits, I figured I would just replace what was already there as it had gotten a lot of compliments through the years I've had it even though it was rough looking. Still have  a few things to do to finish it off completely, but I like the way it turned out. Got a few compliments on it yesterday at a car show too.

IMG_6712.thumb.jpg.a4cb7af2ad85b09aa9c9d85d0705dd70.jpg
IMG_6641.thumb.jpg.aec386df5c495dcaf4196b4f6eb89a3e.jpg
IMG_6675.thumb.jpg.4e3435a124ad665529e5537312e02181.jpg
IMG_6679.thumb.jpg.9a910c517a94d0a006292e9638140ea5.jpg
IMG_6729.thumb.jpg.594844f5e074ffdb48b8ab39bcf6da15.jpg
IMG_6730.thumb.jpg.da4dccb1bfd7471456cfe56d7f603db9.jpg
Great job bud, I love the dark color as well.
  • Like 1

I'd been meaning to replace the bed wood in my truck for quite some time and finally got around to doing it this past week.
Before spending $$$ on one of the kits, I figured I would just replace what was already there as it had gotten a lot of compliments through the years I've had it even though it was rough looking. Still have  a few things to do to finish it off completely, but I like the way it turned out. Got a few compliments on it yesterday at a car show too.

This looks fantastic.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
31 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Great job bud, I love the dark color as well.

Thanks! Appreciate that...

I took the colors from this gal on IG that had built her own outdoor table and then stained. She used two different colors, an Amherst Grey as an undercoat and then a Cordova Brown over the top. A couple of my boards were lighter after the first coats and just looked a little washed out (even though it looked good with her table) for the look I was wanting. Put another coat to make them a bit darker and then putting the urethane on after the stain made it pop a little. Pretty happy with it as it looks better than I expected and is still a bit different than the original or kit looks with metal in between the boards. (saved a few bucks too!)

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, baboso said:

What year is that Chevy?  My dad had a '64 that he drove up to the mid 80s.  

This one is a 65. 

Before getting this one I looked for yrs at the 50's models as I always liked the body style. But the more I looked, I slowly turned towards the early 60's as my first vehicle I owned and drove in high school was was a '64 GMC stepside. That one was a long bed as I liked those more back then but now love the short beds. This has the same engine as the one in high school, a straight 6. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This one is a 65. 
Before getting this one I looked for yrs at the 50's models as I always liked the body style. But the more I looked, I slowly turned towards the early 60's as my first vehicle I owned and drove in high school was was a '64 GMC stepside. That one was a long bed as I liked those more back then but now love the short beds. This has the same engine as the one in high school, a straight 6. 

Had a 57 stepside with a wraparound back glass my senior year. Wish I still had it. Sold it to a buddy. I’m a big fan of the late 40s/early 50s model Chevy pickups.
  • Hook 'Em 1